Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you on this forum. Since Feb, when we first got into the motor home life, I've posted what were probably a lot of dumb questions. In return I got great advice and no flaming. Whe we bought the 2001 Itasca it had 10,000 miles on it; Just 11 months later it has 24,000. We've done the East Coast several times, went to Vegas (for work guys!!!) and now are in Bahia Kino Mexico. We won't get back to NC until mid Jan, maybe .

Again, we were total newbies to RV'ing in general and MH's especially. Your counsel really made this all possible. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you on this forum. Since Feb, when we first got into the motor home life, I've posted what were probably a lot of dumb questions. In return I got great advice and no flaming. Whe we bought the 2001 Itasca it had 10,000 miles on it; Just 11 months later it has 24,000. We've done the East Coast several times, went to Vegas (for work guys!!!) and now are in Bahia Kino Mexico. We won't get back to NC until mid Jan, maybe .

Again, we were total newbies to RV'ing in general and MH's especially. Your counsel really made this all possible. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

So nice to see someone thoroughly enjoying their motorhome. Safe travels. See you down the road.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It is a great forum, for sure. So many helpful folks here.

Sounds like you are having a great time...that's what it is all about. Can't hardly wait until the time when we can be on the road more.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Belgique: Sounds like a wonderful time you are having. We have the same year and make of Winnie. Once the first year bugs are worked out, they are rock solid and dependable, as you know by now. Have a great rest of the trip.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Kind of off topic, but in what part of Mexico is Bahia Kino located? Did you go down by yourself or did you travel in a group? Did you buy long term Mexican insurance? How long are you staying and are there any concerns about medical help, mail/phone calls, ect? I'm interesting in traveling in Mexico, but I've never taken my rig south of the border before.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kind of off topic, but in what part of Mexico is Bahia Kino located? Did you go down by yourself or did you travel in a group? Did you buy long term Mexican insurance? How long are you staying and are there any concerns about medical help, mail/phone calls, ect? I'm interesting in traveling in Mexico, but I've never taken my rig south of the border before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roadking, funny you should ask. This is our first trip SOB and I can tell you that is fantastic. Before someone flames about the US is great, let me say that I'm a career soldier and slightly right of Atilla. That said, this trip has been amazing on more fronts than I can describe emotionally and from an RV perspective. I never expected Mexican citizens from literally dirt poor areas to wave at a MH and be really glad to see us even when we were just passing through and not spending money. We've been here almost 2 weeks and EVERY single person we have encountered has been fantastic. Now, let me answer your questions:

what part of Mexico is Bahia Kino located? It is an easy drive from the Nogales border crossing. If you cross Nogales in the early AM you can be there by dark. Later in the day do an overnight in a PEMEX gas station like we did. For a complete explanation on all of this there is a forum on RV.Net re Mexico that can give you all the scoop. The best advice we can offer is buy a book called: "Mexican Camping" by Mike and Terri Church. Amazon has it. This is truly a don;t leave home without it. That said, the process really is very easy but this book makes it easier.

Did you go down by yourself or did you travel in a group? By ourselves. We like to be on our own. We have never felt the slighest apprehension about anything that we have encountered.

Did you buy long term Mexican insurance? Oh yes...you don't come here without it! We used Lewis and Lewis (google the web). They were very accomodating but we haven't (and hope we dont) have a claim. We've found the roads and drivers to be quite good and we've been in the boondocks and the cities in a 35' MH towing a jeep.

How long are you staying and are there any concerns about medical help, mail/phone calls, ect? We're here for about 60 days but folks are here for the entire winter. I'm 65 and my bride has a lot of med problems and we have no concern. Chruch book talks about this. We just got SkyPE and just spent about an hour on the phone with our daughter in VA for free...with video!!!. Many RV parks have wifi or at least internet.

I'm interesting in traveling in Mexico, but I've never taken my rig south of the border before. Us neither and we've encountered a whole bunch of other folks that are less informed and are having a blast!

PM me or ask if you have other questions. We're at Mazatlan now. Steve
Old 12-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Just noticed after all these threads that you're from Cedar Island....I bought my coach in Wilmington and was wondering if you bought from a dealer or an individual?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Just noticed after all these threads that you're from Cedar Island....I bought my coach in Wilmington and was wondering if you bought from a dealer or an individual? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bob. We bought it used from Sandcastle in Morehead City. They are not a Winnie dealer but have been fantastic for us. Steve
Old 12-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Just noticed after all these threads that you're from Cedar Island....I bought my coach in Wilmington and was wondering if you bought from a dealer or an individual? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bob. We bought it used from Sandcastle in Morehead City. They are not a Winnie dealer but have been fantastic for us. Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lucky you!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Belgique, like some others I have been following your posts since you purchased your coach.
I too am happy that you are getting a lot of use out of it and am happy to read of your experiences in Mexico... Merry Christmas to you and yours and thanks for being a forum member.

Merry Christmas to all the others that posted also.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote