Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Journey with the 330 hp Caterpillar C7 diesel pusher. When we are traveling down the road, it seems as though we are getting diesel exhaust fumes coming into the coach. This only happens when we are moving down the road. We can sit parked with the engine idle set up on 1500 rpm for long periods of time and get nothing. I can't seem to locate the point where it's coming in. I just had the thing into the Cat dealer for a complete service and inspection and there were no problems noted. Has anyone else had this problem and if so....what was the cause? Again, it only does it when we're driving down the road.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Journey with the 330 hp Caterpillar C7 diesel pusher. When we are traveling down the road, it seems as though we are getting diesel exhaust fumes coming into the coach. This only happens when we are moving down the road. We can sit parked with the engine idle set up on 1500 rpm for long periods of time and get nothing. I can't seem to locate the point where it's coming in. I just had the thing into the Cat dealer for a complete service and inspection and there were no problems noted. Has anyone else had this problem and if so....what was the cause? Again, it only does it when we're driving down the road.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Could it be from your diesel generator?

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We've also got a Journey but havn't noted any issue with fumes though. One thing I do notice is that there seems to be a low pressure area behind the RV that causes the dirt and water from the highway to be sucked up onto the back cap. I imagine if there is any opening in the rear, it could pull in fumes.

The only opening close enough to the back that I can think of is the power cord hatch. Was it completely closed and latched the last time the power cord was put away?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When we are traveling down the road, it seems as though we are getting diesel exhaust fumes coming into the coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This could be due to the taping letting go on the A/C plennum runnning from the A/C unit to the roof behind the back cab. Drive your coach with the A/C on and see if you still have the smell. This pressurises the duct work and as such does not allow fumes to be sucked in. This is not an uncommon problem on the 2004 and 2005 coaches an also effects the A/C performance. It happend to my coach. You can also check to see if you feel any airflow around the plennum with the A/C running while parked.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had a problem with that toward the end of our recent 5,000+ mile trip. I checked everywhere and could not determine where the fumes were entering the coach.

I did have a small leak in my AC duct behind the rear cap but had already re-taped that before we left on the trip...I used the good foil duct tape. Perhaps it has let go...I will recheck that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We eliminated the generator first thing, thinking that might be the culprit and all compartment doors are always closed tight and locked when traveling. It does seem though that on our first trip with this coach, from Montana to TN, when we were running the AC a lot, we didn't seem to notice the smell. This problem really seemed to surface on the second trip to Michigan and back to TN when we didn't really run the AC much. I'll have to crawl around back under the rear of the rig and see if I can inspect the ducting of the AC system for any openings.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem and found that the rear bedroom escape window was not dogged properly. Dogged it off really tight and fumes went away.

Like Joe said there is a negative pressure area generated at the rear of the coach.
Walt
Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Kiwi
What does " Dogged " mean ?
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Meridian purchased new in February 2004 and have had exhaust fumes ever since. I had it back to the selling dealer twice before they sold out, had it to a Freightliner dealer twice for exhaust work, and took it to Forest City a year ago - still the fumes are there if the wind is from a certain direction or traveling slow under hard pull. Each one said they found the problem. I've put insulation rubber around all the compartment doors so a dollar bill will drag firm when the door is closed, used a halegon light underneith at night looking for entrance inside, and tried to check to air condition plumbing behind the rear cap (don't know how I could reach the upper area to re-tape it even if it was leaking) but have found only a few real small holes to plug. They said they plugged a hole at Forest City thinking that was the problem but not. I'll try running the air conditioner the next time I notice the fumes, which doesn't happen every trip. If this is common with the 2004 and 2005 models you'd think they would have known what to do when I was at Forest City. The more I read on this forum the less I think of Winnebago products.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron-in-Tn:
I have a 2004 Journey with the 330 hp Caterpillar C7 diesel pusher. When we are traveling down the road, it seems as though we are getting diesel exhaust fumes coming into the coach. This only happens when we are moving down the road. We can sit parked with the engine idle set up on 1500 rpm for long periods of time and get nothing. I can't seem to locate the point where it's coming in. I just had the thing into the Cat dealer for a complete service and inspection and there were no problems noted. Has anyone else had this problem and if so....what was the cause? Again, it only does it when we're driving down the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rojodoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Per my previous post, I had some problems with the fumes on our recent long trip. I also recently discovered the wall between the LR and BR slide separated from the frame by about 1/4". I have reattached the wall and am now thinking that might have been the point of entry. I will be driving the coach soon and will report if problem resolved.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

We own a 2004 Journey 39W (The head of the bed is on the street side slide). I recently installed an electrical powered water hose reel. While looking for a source of 12V power I lifted up the bed. I was amazed to find an 8" x 10" hole in the floor that opens into the power / fresh water bay. There are several 12V and 120V lines coming through the opening as well as the hydralic lines to operate the cylinder to open and retract the slide ....

In the past I have never replaced the little flaps for the cord and hose openings when I travelled ... I will close them from now on because on my coach that is a source for fumes from the rear of the coach to be brought inside the coach ....

I don't know if all Journeys have an opening from a lower bay into the bedroom ... but you might check yours
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

OK...well...I Finally took this in to the dealer to have it looked at...and apparently the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe have seperated...causing excessive fumes in the engine compartment. When sitting still, the fumes were able to be evacuated through natural ventillation of the engine compartment...the fan..ect. But, when traveling down the road, combined with the fact that the engine is operating at a higher RPM generating more exhaust, the negative vaccum created at the rear of the coach was forcing the exhaust fumes back up and into the coach through any little crack, crevice or opening it could find. According to the dealer, this is a recall for Freightliner and will be covered by the local Freightliner dealer...
Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Ron-in-Tn -- I hope the exhaust work helps your problem, please keep us posted. I had my 2004 Meridian into a FL shop twice in its first 6 months for fumes inside the coach. Both times they replaced the flexible exhaust pipes that run from the engine down to the muffler and all the clamps, sprayed them with soapy water while the engine was running and each time claimed no leaks. But 3 years later am still getting fumes in the coach if there is a strong wind from the drivers side, the engine is pulling hard up a long grade, and even sometimes when driving with a good tailwind. I have crawled around underneith after dark with a strong halegon lamp while the wife is in the coach and never see any openings. So far I haven't tried running the basement air but I always have the front dash outside vent open and the fan running so it should help pressurize the coach and not suck in the exhaust but that doesn't work either. Good luck with your work.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

just to cover all the bases, make certain the windows are all closed and locked.
We were getting an exhaust stench nand finally realized that the DW leaves the bathroom toilet room window open just a bit to enhance 'air circulation'!
Closed that window v and the stench is gone!

Also, "Dogging" the emergency hatch is an Nautical Term indicating a hatch or door clousure system is truly secured.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

On our last trip out west we had a similar problem but with a gasser. WE were climbing a long hill and by the time we reached the top we had to open the windows! We know it was coming from the doghouse. The odor was only up front. Never had the problem again but will see if it happens this year when we head to Yellowstone via Montana and down.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

On a return trip in November we noticed exhaust fumes in the back bedroom of our Journey 36G. I have been watching Ron's progress as we have the same model and year motor homes.
When Ron said his dealer found the exhaust manifold connection was leaking a light bulb went off. Freightliner has a recall in progress to install metal screws into the coupling where the manifold exhaust pipe from the engine couples with the muffler. The screws are to keep the manifold pipe from moving. On my rig with the Cat 330HP the muffler has a vertical connection piece that is welded to the top of the muffler. The manifold exhaust pipe slides over this muffler connection piece. Apparently because of vibration and/or back pressure the exhaust manifold slides up the connection piece allowing exhaust fumes to escape.
I took the motor home into a local freight liner dealer a few weeks ago to have the screws installed. At that time I did not understand the fix. Once I read Ron's post I rolled the creeper underneath the MH to see if the screws were in place and yes they were. So the bright idea light bulb dimmed a little until I began to realize what I was looking at. There were slots in the muffler attachment column that were exposed and a discoloration line. The discoloration formed a horizontal line indicating to me where the manifold exhaust pipe was originally located. It was then apparent that the slots should be covered by the manifold exhaust pipe and what I was looking at was the reason that Freightliner caused the exhaust recall. Unfortunately the mechanic who did the recall work installed the screws without correcting the joint location.
I contacted Freightliner and they confirmed what I was looking at was in deed the problem and that the work had not been done correctly. I called the dealer and set an appointment to have the correction corrected.
Not to make too big a deal of this, but this is a dangerous situation as exhaust fumes swirling around inside the MH can be deadly. Needless to say I am pretty disappointed in the dealer's mechanic not correcting such an obvious problem
Also I am a little disappointed in Winnebago's response. I called them a few weeks back trying to find some clue as to where or why exhaust fumes were entering the motor home. They never mentioned the exhaust joint problem. Apparently Winnebago and Freightliner aren't reading the same page! It would seem to me that the importance of this exhaust recall would have been serious enough to have all the players focused on protecting their customers.

So I have now "exhausted" and yes it has made me feel better and I suppose as the old saying goes, "All is well that ends well!"

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Steve,
I'm glad to hear that you too have have found the cause of the fumes. As you and I both know...this problem doesn't just cause "a little" bit of fumes inside the coach...but actually quite a bit...enough to completely ruin a trip. Hopefully others will read this post and will find the same resolution. Now, like you mentioned, one would think that Winnebago would have sent notice to their customers on this? Although I am the second owner of my coach, I did register on the Winnebago website as a new owner for this coach which requires you to give them all of the information on the coach...ie..serial numbers, VIN # and such...but I have yet to hear anything from them. This is definately the type of thing most of us would like to be notified of. Now, since this is a "Freightliner" issue and not so much a Winnebago coach issue...I'm wondering if I need to get into the Freightliner website and see if there is similar "New Owner Registration" offered so that I might be notified of these types of issue in the future.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Wonder if this problem might be an issue with earlier model years....2002 perhaps. I had some fumes in the rear which I attributed to a partial separation of the lower sidewall between my slides, which I repaired. Haven't used the coach but once since that repair and did not notice fumes.