Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2024, 02:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Selecting a tow vehicle for larger Travel Trailer

I am looking to replace my Durango which pulls our Micro Minnie 2108DS just fine. We think we want to eventually get a 25 - 29' travel trailer with GVWR up to 10,000 lbs.
I read that "any 3/4 ton pickup" should pull a trailer just fine. I am interested in staying within the limits of the pickup and am finding that even some 1 ton trucks don't meet the requirements I have.

My question is: Am I evaluating the numbers correctly?

My payload will be about 2,380 lbs max with 2 adults, 3 teens, 1 dog and some miscellaneous stuff in the bed.

Trailer actual weight 9,000 lbs max
Tongue weight 1,200 lbs estimated

I find I exceed the GVWR of the pickup on most trucks, and the GCVWR on a couple as well. I've just selected a few trucks as examples in the attached document file from the full spreadsheet of 120 different trucks that I think might be in the $20k to $25k range.

Any advice is appreciated, but the basic question is: Am I looking at the data correctly?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tow_Vehicle_Load_Calculations.doc (53.5 KB, 10 views)

Tags
travel, tow