Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I met a work camper yesterday up in Maine that told me about a problem he was having with his 2005 Voyage on the W-20 chassis. He indicated that even with his (HWH) jacks down, his motorhome still rocks side to side. He does use blocks under the jacks so it isn't a case of the jacks sinking into the ground. He had someone look at his chassis to make sure there were no loose bolts. As it turned out, there were several loose bolts. In fact, some had to be turned as many as five times to tighten them up. However, this didn't solve the rocking problem.

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, how did you resolve it? It doesn't rock from end to end, just side to side. At any rate, as soon as I have the chance, I'm going to crawl under our motorhome to check out the chassis bolts. Sounds like one more thing to add to the maintenance schedule. Thanks in advance.

Jack
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I met a work camper yesterday up in Maine that told me about a problem he was having with his 2005 Voyage on the W-20 chassis. He indicated that even with his (HWH) jacks down, his motorhome still rocks side to side. He does use blocks under the jacks so it isn't a case of the jacks sinking into the ground. He had someone look at his chassis to make sure there were no loose bolts. As it turned out, there were several loose bolts. In fact, some had to be turned as many as five times to tighten them up. However, this didn't solve the rocking problem.

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, how did you resolve it? It doesn't rock from end to end, just side to side. At any rate, as soon as I have the chance, I'm going to crawl under our motorhome to check out the chassis bolts. Sounds like one more thing to add to the maintenance schedule. Thanks in advance.

Jack
Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jackm:

Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be something as simple as him not putting the jacks down far enough to make good contact.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have noticed this phenomenon before - in fact I had the same problem this morning.

What I think is happening is if the site is not real level, there is lots of weight put on two jacks. Eventually due to the weight, the jacks settle a bit into the ground.

When this happens, I'll manually extend the jacks a little more until the rocking stops. I might need to do this a couple of times until the ground gets compressed enough to stop further movement.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I agree with John - I've had to re-adjust mine as the coach settled in - it finally finds the "spot" and evrything is solid.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #6

Oh my ...excuse me but:

it just reminds me of the proverbial "if this van's a rockin', don't come a knockin'"

sorry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I also have had to do as John and Rocket have stated, never thought much more about it.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h:
Oh my ...excuse me but:

it just reminds me of the proverbial "if this van's a rockin', don't come a knockin'"

sorry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

He claims that it doesn't take much to get his RV rockin' so it's probably safe to come a knockin'. However, since he uses blocks, I doubt that the jacks are digging into the ground. However, it is possible that he's failing to give the jacks that extra little push that it takes to eliminate any residual play (AKA the rockin').

Tomorrow, I'll go a knockin' when his rig isn't rockin' and find a tactful way to suggest that he may not be leveling his RV properly. Good suggestions. Thank you all.

Jack