Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Got my new Itasca Suncruider yesterday - a day ahead of time because we are supposed to have severe weather starting today.

Now all I have to do is find all the remotes for all the goodies!! My goodness - so much to learn so little time. This is my first new unit so I am reading just about everything.

Shake down cruise will be the end of the month.

TTFN - GB
Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Got my new Itasca Suncruider yesterday - a day ahead of time because we are supposed to have severe weather starting today.

Now all I have to do is find all the remotes for all the goodies!! My goodness - so much to learn so little time. This is my first new unit so I am reading just about everything.

Shake down cruise will be the end of the month.

TTFN - GB
Old 03-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #3

Congrats on your new coach.

Just pull up a chair, open a beer, or wine if you're me, and start reading. Even after you have read all the books, I guarantee you will miss something until the next time you read them. Keep your books in an easy to get to place in the coach so you can refer to them when you have to without "digging" them out of some hard to get to place.

Enjoy the journey. Everyday is a learning experience in an RV.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Nice coach. Congrats and my you have many fun filled years.

One thing I do when I get a new rig is to store things in ways that make things easier to look for. There's nothing more frustrating then looking for a book, tool or bulb and not being able to find it, especially in an emergency. Being your first MH you have the advantage of not having all the junk that accumulates during the years.

For example, we keep all the MH books, camping books, maps, warranty paperwork, invoices, instruction books and misc. stuff in the cabinet above and behind the passenger side. Anytime I need any kind off paperwork I know where to go. I do the same with tools, outside camping gear etc.

The most important thing is get out there and have FUN!!!!!!!

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations, the only advice that I would offer is to test everything (on both gas and electric) BEFORE the shakedown cruise, if you haven't already.

When I got mine, I cooled off the fridge on electric and took off for Yosemite. The gas didn't work because the person who installed the fridge didn't flip a little gas valve. The dealer wouldn't tell me this over the phone, so I ended up driving a 100 miles out of my way for them to access the back of the fridge and turn the valve.

The service at this dealer didn't improve and I will never go back there.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I agree with Bruceh but I'd carry it a few steps further. Try everything:

Stove/Oven
Microwave
Heater
Air Conditioner
Toilet
Water pump
Leveling system (if you have one)
Slides
Shower and all faucets
Awning (yes, open & close it)

Partially fill all tanks (fresh, black, grey)
Use procedures you will find either in your manual or here in the forum to sanitize your fresh water tank and plumbing.

Hook-up your dump hose (even if you don't have a place to dump into) and practice dumping your black and grey tanks (remember they're just full of water). Believe me, if you have never done this it is best to make mistakes now with plain water than with the mess that will come out after a week or so of actual use.

In essence, I'm telling you to actually try all systems, and functions of your new coach now. Set up as if you were in a camping spot and try everything. Finding any problems now will go a long way toward making your first camping experience a great one

Go over backing with your wife so that you are both insync on the process. Not trying it for the first time in the dark on your first night of camping.

The more familiar you get with all of this now the fewer problems and learning issues you will have later. This is especially true since you are home and can readily deal with any problems.

Finally, go out and do it!!

Have fun and a hearty welcome to the great world of RV'ing.

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Rocket Heart,
Congratulations!!! Hope all your travels are safe ones! Good Luck with the learning curve!! We'll be on that curve in a few months!
See ya on down the road!
Winnie SS '08
Winnie SS '08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations, great feeling isnt it. You got some good advice, Only thing I can add is take your checkbook to Wallmart and Camping World or simlilar and start your shopping spree.
Its like outfitting a 2nd house. dishes, pot and pans, bedding, toilet chemicals etc.
Buy some single sheet Scotties,or Charmin, TP they dissolve. Have fun, enjoy, build your memories.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Rocket Heart,
Congratulations on your new MH.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks gang - appreciate all the advise. This is my second coach so I am used to most everything - just putting all the "stuff" in the proper places and doing most of the mechanical checks (no water yet - will wait a week). I must say I am quite impressed with the workmanship and quality of the Itasca. My LaPalma paled in comparison - it was my first coach and still has a real warm spot in my heart...

Safe journeys and great memories