Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2005, 03:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We are looking to change out camping mode from a 5er to MH. The Vectra line seems to be a very good unit that we like. We would like some input from owners of the winnebago line of MH about the good and bad owning these units. All the mfg's will tell you their units are best. I want to know what the owners think. If their units have any probleme they will tell you about them. Having worked in the Auto industry for 30 + yrs. II understand some products have defects.. I feel owners will give a true picture of the product, good and bad. This info will give a better picture of the product you are wanting to buy
PwrRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We are looking to change out camping mode from a 5er to MH. The Vectra line seems to be a very good unit that we like. We would like some input from owners of the winnebago line of MH about the good and bad owning these units. All the mfg's will tell you their units are best. I want to know what the owners think. If their units have any probleme they will tell you about them. Having worked in the Auto industry for 30 + yrs. II understand some products have defects.. I feel owners will give a true picture of the product, good and bad. This info will give a better picture of the product you are wanting to buy
Old 11-07-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I've owned several Winnebagos, currently an 03 Journey DL, and have had no serious problems with either coach. Each time I traded, it was for a bigger coach. There are small things that need repair when a coach is first bought, but if you do a good walk through, most of these can be detected and repaired. My dealer had me come to his dealership and spend several days camped in my coach on his lot while I detected and had the problems repaired. Have had a few things since then, but the dealer covered them under warranty. I have no complaints with Winnebago or with my dealer.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I just traded a Journey ('04) for a new Vectra. I was happy with the Journey, but the Vectra is a much better driver - with the independent front end. It's almost equal to the difference between a truck and a car in terms of relaxing while driving and not spending all your time reacting to passing trucks and groves in the road surface.

Quality wise, both seem about the same. The only significant issue has been leaks in the slide and jack hydraulics, made by HWH and all covered by warranty.

I think the key to being happy with the quality of a coach has much to do with the dealer's attitude.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As anyone will tell you, all brands have some problems - hopefully minor and corrected under warenty. Winnebago is a very good manufacturer with many features not obvious to the casual buyer such as the built in steel cage in the driver/passenger area that provides roll over and crash protection. They mount the windshield to the steel framing as opposed to some other brands (unnamed0 that mount the windshield to the fibreglass with resulting problems. We have owned and been happy enough with Winnebago products to stay with them through 4 units since 1977.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks so much for the replys. Only way to get real idea about a product is ask people who own them.. Thanks all
Old 11-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Take a close look at the floorplan. In my case, the only fault I have with my MH is that I cannot get to any of my BR closets or drawers (except for a couple of very small drawers on the curb side) without extending the BR slide. This has not been a problem but it will be. We are going on a Copper Canyon piggyback train. We will be dry camping for five days while on the train. All of the information we have received so far says we cannot extend the slides while aboard. I haven't figured out yet where we put five days of clothes?

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

JamesOne

No need to worry, We were on that Caravan last Feb & March. Each day ofter stopping you can put the slide out, at least for a short period of time.

Be ready for a lot of miles of side to side motion. Very nice trip, in our opinion but once is enough.

Dean Nelson
04 Meridian 36G
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote