Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Indy Itasca: Your post relates exactly to what a large Winnebago dealer told me. He could not order an Itasca, they would not sell it to him. He could get an Itasca through another dealer, if his customer wanted one. The service of the brands is completely co-mingled. That part is not a problem. It is a marketing thing.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Homer is correct. It is for dealers, allows Winnebago and Itasca dealerships in the same area. However, LaMesa RV sells both lines. When we bought our Itasca, we also looked at a Chieftain.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all that have replied and I would appreciate if you continue to furnish me with all this great info. I would love to hear from the two groups of owners how you would rate the reliabiliy, resale value, and highway control. These 3 area are the areas compared in the comparison CD I purchased from RV Consumer Group. This Group rates 2007 Winnebago Vectra slightly higher than ITasca Horizon. Horizon 40KD is rated 73,74,88, respectively, with a payload of 4540lbs. Vectra 40KD is rated 77, 78, 91 with a payload of 4714. Very close in comparison and higher than most other brand of equal price. Unfortunately is seem to me that after looking at the comparisons in the RV Consumer Group rating until I am crossed eyed, the only thing I am sure of is the higher the cost, the better rating a MH gets. Thanks again.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:52 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Don't try to infer too much into that CD data. I bought and used it as a tool when coach shopping, but I think its primary use is an easy way to compare specifications.

There is no logical reason for a Vectra and a Horizon to have a different rating. All of the important model attributes (engine, chassis, house) are exactly the same (comparing similar floor plans.) Considering the above, this puts his rating system into suspicion. Gallant doesn't personally drive or evaluate each model but he uses specifications to derive ratings. That approach is somewhat useful - for example wheelbase length to overall length is a good indicator of road performance, but there are other factors to consider.

When we coached shopped, we considered many factors and chose the Horizon. One of the major factors that influenced our decision was the system approach to design and engineering. Electrical, plumbing, and the house parts all had a specific well thought out (for the most part) place to exist. Lots of other manufacturers had wiring and plumbing installed all over the place, most of it looking like it was an afterthought.

Another huge advantage is the easily available wiring, plumbing and parts diagrams. I believe this is a rarity among coach manufacturers.

Bottom line - sorry, there is no easy way to coach shop. It takes lots of investigation, looking, and reading.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Before we bought our Winnie Sightseer 35J, we looked closely at the Itasca Sunova. They were IDENTICAL, and the only reason we bought the Winnie was because the local dealer gave us the price we wanted. Othewise, we would have driven 3 hours to purchase the Sunova which was totally the same....even the color scheme.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I talked to the infamous Paul Smith about the difference. He should know as he has received over 50 pre-release demo models from WBO over the past 30 years. For 2007 he said they are identical but the Winnebago will sometimes be rated higher (or valued higher) becuase of the name recognition. When I compared the TD model side by side I only found two items different: the Horizon had the mirrors with the led arrows instead of the separate light under the mirrow (but the price was higher by 1,500 which was the cost) AND, of all things, I ordered a six-way seat for the DW and it was ONLY available for the Vectra and NOT if we bought the Horizon. We bought the Vectra becuase it was the colors SHE wanted. I wanted the FL chassis with the IFS. (I have not ridden in anything that rides better. Best RV I've ever owned). PS- Go to Lichtsinn's. They are great people!
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dengraham:
--snip-- AND, of all things, I ordered a six-way seat for the DW and it was ONLY available for the Vectra and NOT if we bought the Horizon.--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ours came standard with six-way power co-pilot seat.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

John,
You are absolutely correct. I meant to say it had a "lounge chair" option, i.e., the front extended for feet to rest on.
&gt;&gt;Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

John is absolutely right about the original introduction of the Itasca brand name. It was because of contract requirements with Dodge.
I was told the exact information while I toured the factory. I saw both going down the same line being assembled by the same foks.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2001 Adventurer 35B. Now we have a 2005 Suncruiser 37B. We would have bought the Winnie but the Itasca dealer gave us a MUCHbetter price. The Itasca has a few more standard items but nothing you really need. Next one will most likely be an Itasca but if we get a better deal from a good dealer either is fine.

There is hardly any chance our next one won't be one or the other. Winnebago makes a great product.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

We looked at both models and chose the Itasca Horizon. There is probably a 2-3% difference in fabrics and colors. We just liked the Itasca better for its colors and feel. I think it was a psychological thing hoping I was getting a little better coach for not much more money. You probably wouldn't know the difference if you were blind folded before you went into each coach to compare. The Winnebago products are great and you won't go wrong with either purchase.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Winnebago products are great and you won't go wrong with either purchase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree completely with the above statement.

To further address the original topic of this thread, below is an excerpt from a recent story running on RVBusiness:

QUOTE: In an apparent response to dealer input, Martin told dealers that Winnebago over the next three years will work harder to differentiate between the Winnebago and Itasca brands with products that will be exclusive to the two dealer bases.

The 2008 lineup will include an Itasca Class C that will be introduced later this year for the Itasca dealer body and a Winnebago Access bunk bed floorplan that will be available only to Winnebago retailers.

"Differentiation means that not every product line or floorplan and feature will be available to both networks," Martin said. "Differentiation means being different. Our challenge is to make sure we offer advantages to both teams and not an advantage to one and a disadvantage to another." END QUOTE