Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm a 1st time buyer and have been studing, looking, driving motorhomes for the last 7 months. I am leaning very strongly toward buying a Winnebago product. What I can't seem to decipher is the difference between Winnebago models from Itasca model. Would appreciate anyone educating me on the difference and if one is more reliable, more road worthy and retains it's value better than the other. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm a 1st time buyer and have been studing, looking, driving motorhomes for the last 7 months. I am leaning very strongly toward buying a Winnebago product. What I can't seem to decipher is the difference between Winnebago models from Itasca model. Would appreciate anyone educating me on the difference and if one is more reliable, more road worthy and retains it's value better than the other. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

A simple answer would be that the Itasca brand may come standard with a few more bells and whistles than the winnie but they are basically the same coach.....

Itasca meridian = Winnebago Journey
Itasca horizon = Winnebago Vectra

and so on. Structurally they are virtually the same, the horizon comes with IFS and the Vectra comes with IFS both have the same chassis and choices of engines. It's really a matter of preference on interior appointments and design.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tom,
Welcome to the forum from another Newbee. I went through the same thing you are and had a heck of a time understanding the difference. I won't say that one is better then the other but they are slightly different. For instance the Itasca line uses Kwikee products where Winnie uses HWH or is it KWH. There may be slight differences in appliance manufacturers also but not sure. What it came down to for us was seeing what we wanted on the lot, driving it and getting our price. Floorplans are the same and chassis parts seem to be the same.
Maybe not much help as I am new to the Winnie scene and I am sure others will offer much better insight.
I have the Itasca Sunrise so if you have questions, ask away.
Frank O.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm confident you will get many different replies to your question. Here's my thoughts. It's my understanding that the Itasca is a superior product with upgraded fabrics, more attention to detail, better wood, etc.

You can't go wrong with a Winnebago product. No matter which one you choose -- they're both terrific.

Anne & Maury
home in Oregon for the summer
GrammaAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTom:
I'm a 1st time buyer and have been studing, looking, driving motorhomes for the last 7 months. I am leaning very strongly toward buying a Winnebago product. What I can't seem to decipher is the difference between Winnebago models from Itasca model. Would appreciate anyone educating me on the difference and if one is more reliable, more road worthy and retains it's value better than the other. Thanks in advance for your assistance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a informational product link if you haven't read it already.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/company/...facilities.php

My guess is that both product lines are very similar, much like 'Chevrolet' and 'GMC'; both of these product lines are built on the same assembly lines. I'm not sure about Winnebago and Itasca; maybe someone who's been to the factory can tell us. Typically, it's more a matter of different exterior and interior trim colors, and one brand might have a standard higher trim content, along with a higher base price.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jtharley:
A simple answer would be that the Itasca brand may come standard with a few more bells and whistles than the winnie but they are basically the same coach.....

Itasca meridian = Winnebago Journey
Itasca horizon = Winnebago Vectra

and so on. Structurally they are virtually the same, the horizon comes with IFS and the Vectra comes with IFS both have the same chassis and choices of engines. It's really a matter of preference on interior appointments and design. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim has the correct answer here....also:

Ford/Mercury
GM/GMC

Itasca is not a superior product...just different interior colors and some appointments....

We looked at a Itasca Sunrise (sister to our Winnebago Voyage), and the interior colors were AWEFUL!!!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I don't know the difference , but this is for FrankO. Frank, my Winne has Kwikee hydraulic jacks, electric steps, and electric slides -- Soooo, that is not the distinguishing difference.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Itasca and Winnebago are built side by side, come off the same line at the factory. They just have sightly different interior colors and outside fiberglass skins and paint colors.
So it comes down to a choice of interior colors and which front end style you might like best.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The Itasca line will have features standard that would be an option on the corresponding Winnie model and is supposed to be a tiny bit more upscale than the Winnie models. There are probably other trim/fabric/color differences as well.

There used to be several distinguishing attributes between the Horizon and Vectra (hidden cabinet hinges, vent shades, etc.) but I think the distinction is becoming less and less as the model years go by.

Unless you study the spec sheets and spend a bunch of time in the process, I doubt if you would notice much difference.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Most of the answers you received are correct. It is mostly fabrics and trim along with a few bells and whistles that are available as options on Adventurer.
The real reason for these two is a marketing thing. It allowed Winnebago to establish more dealers in a geographic area with out causing dealer revolt. While there may be, I have never seen the same dealer selling both on the same lot. The GMC- Chevy truck correlation is a good example.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
I don't know the difference , but this is for FrankO. Frank, my Winne has Kwikee hydraulic jacks, electric steps, and electric slides -- Soooo, that is not the distinguishing difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ooops, I stand corrected. I looked at the spec sheet for a Voyage and saw a reference to HWH but it was for a 38J. Like I said I am new so I ask for forgiveness.

fRRVer: "We looked at a Itasca Sunrise (sister to our Winnebago Voyage), and the interior colors were AWEFUL!!!!!"

Now them is fighting words, you are talking about our new to us baby! Just kidding, I think the choice of fabrics that most of these MH companies use are just so outlandish so one needs to close their eyes a little especially if you are going the used route.

JMHO
Frank O.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
Most of the answers you received are correct. It is mostly fabrics and trim along with a few bells and whistles that are available as options on Adventurer.
The real reason for these two is a marketing thing. It allowed Winnebago to establish more dealers in a geographic area with out causing dealer revolt. While there may be, I have never seen the same dealer selling both on the same lot. The GMC- Chevy truck correlation is a good example. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Bleakley RV down here in Georgia sells both as well as other brands.

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Itasca started life many years ago when Dodge had an exclusive contract to supply chassis for the Winnebago product line. Management wanted to use different chassis and presto - contract problem solved by creating another brand.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
I don't know the difference , but this is for FrankO. Frank, my Winne has Kwikee hydraulic jacks, electric steps, and electric slides -- Soooo, that is not the distinguishing difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ooops, I stand corrected. I looked at the spec sheet for a Voyage and saw a reference to HWH but it was for a 38J. Like I said I am new so I ask for forgiveness.

fRRVer: "We looked at a Itasca Sunrise (sister to our Winnebago Voyage), and the interior colors were AWEFUL!!!!!"

Now them is fighting words, you are talking about our new to us baby! Just kidding, I think the choice of fabrics that most of these MH companies use are just so outlandish so one needs to close their eyes a little especially if you are going the used route.

JMHO
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most RV interiors are BEAUTIFUL compared to interiors of ten years ago or so; it's funny to look at MH's from the 70's too. I know I see them and think 'what the heck were they thinking?'
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Roy Robinson, Marysville, WA (north of Seattle) sells both Winnebago and Itasca on the same lot.

In the Pacific Northwest the Winniebago dealers seem to outnumber the Itasca dealers about 3 to 1. There are only 6 Itasca dealers in all of Oregon and Washington.

The only reason I'd want a Horizon over a Vectra is I prefer the look of the Horizon front end, especially the headlights. But I wouldn't pay an extra $15K for options I didn't want just to get it.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

In many cases, the Itasca line will be a forrunner for new ideas. Generally the production of Itasca units is about 10% of what the Winnie production is. As an example, in 1995, the SunCruiser had the first Winnebago product with a slide (13'x30"). This allowed them to refine the process and only produce a few items. The next year the Adventurer showed up with the same slide. A similar thing happened when they introduced the Journey and Horizon in 2000. The Horizon had 2 slides and the Journey only one...then came along the DL a couple of years later.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
Most RV interiors are BEAUTIFUL compared to interiors of ten years ago or so; it's funny to look at MH's from the 70's too. I know I see them and think 'what the heck were they thinking?' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had a 77 Mobile Traveler 21' Class C bought in 1980 and the interior color scheme was Brown accents with Orange carpet. Just plain awful but i had problem selling it in 2002. Replaced the carpet with a neutral tan but still had lots of Orange throughout. I guess at least the color schemes have improved.
JMHO -- Frank O.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well, perhaps I am a bit more cynical than most, but I believe the two product lines exist in order for Winnebago to sell more dealer franchises in an area. Dealers pay the factory for a territory, having more than one product line allows them to have more product out on the market. It is just like GM, there may be a dealer who sells all their makes somewhere, but it is not uncommon to find a Buick dealer next to a Pontiac dealer owned by someone else.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We were able to see a Winnie Adventurer and It. Suncruiser side-by-side 3 yrs ago when we were looking. Appointments were a tad different, colors, etc. But for my DH, the deal maker was the driver's seat! Itasca had a more comfortable seat...and since we tend to live in those seats, it was a no-brainer. Itasca tends to be a bit "more"... tile instead of 'plain' linoleum, cedar lining in closet, square mirror instead of rounded in dining area. Minor really.

Rose