Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2024, 07:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Greetings...and a question 1997 Vectra 34

First post here, tried a search but came up with not much help, so I figured I ask away....

I recently purchased a '97 Vectra 34 ft. and I am looking to change out the radio head unit to something with bluetooth for navigation and music playing purposes. The unit is a GM chassis with, I'm assuming is GM dash wiring...
Is there a particular wiring harness that I will have to pick up along with the head unit or am I going to have to test my shaky hands at wiring it in? Looking at a JVC single DIN but could end up with something else.

Thanks in advance and glad to be here. This is not my first Class A motorhome, just my first Winnebago...
ZombieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome.

I was totally unfamiliar with this model. So I looked it up and stumbled on a pdf of its brochure. You may already have this but just in case you don’t here’s a link:

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/97Vectrabro.pdf

Doubt you’ll find much detail about the radio wiring online, most folks are on their own when it comes to things like radios. I wouldn’t count on Chevy dash wiring but that’s just a guess.

As always a car audio installer or Crutchfield.com are the go to sources for all thing vehicle audio. Not that they will have Vectra knowledge but general radio wiring experience.

Best of luck.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Just saw this reply...
Yeah, that brochure doesn't give much info but thanks anyway...I'm going to talk with a mechanic friend of mine, but the wiring is probably the same as a Chevy HD truck. I was just hoping there was a direct plug and play option I guess...
Thanks for the reply...
Old 02-28-2024, 08:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Odds are good that the wiring is pretty much generic, but the plugs and shape is often different! So we might search out the wiring info but that still doesn't let you buy the right stuff to have the correct plugs to match what you find when you get there.

So you are not much better off than when you walked in!

One point that "may" help is handy enough to pass along, just in case? Winnebago does try to make it easier for us to sort things at times as they label many of the small wires.
One word of caution before getting too happy with that, is that we have to sort what is wiring added by Winnebago as the built the RV and what is wiring which comes built into some item they buy from others.
things like furnace thermostats, monitor panels, ceiling lights and radios often come with wiring already soldered/attached to them. when we pull a light off the ceiling, etc. We will often find 6-8 inches of wires that are already installed on the light. We have to pull that wiring out of the ceiling far enough to find where it is attached to Winnebago wires before we get the handy ID stamped on them!
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	188420

Go here for the "decoder" chart:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Hit "CTRL and "f" to bring a dropdown to input the code as a way to speed down in the list. Sometimes good, sometimes it bring a list of 85 places, so not a help on avoiding scrolling!

When I put in "radio" it brings up a list of 29, so finding it on a wire may be the better way. But IF you do find a label, this may help sort things like battery and ground and be easier than testing or guessing? Some info on speaker wiring, seems to be there in some cases?
The list gives "from" and "to" locations as a clue to where the other ends might be found?

I took this info from this drawing set:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
I may not have chosen the exact RV as there are a couple choices? But once there, try checking automotive wiring diagram to go to the correct group for the radio as it is considered part of the "stripped chassis" wiring they buy before adding the Winnebago wires!
It may be a gold mine --- or a total bust!
Click this to see what may be helpful!
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	188421

Scroll down to sheet 1 Frame 3 (S1F3) and top left corner?

Note each wire has the ID that should match to the decoder chart and give gauge and color as well as the pins? this shows how the Winn wiring is ID'd but meets the radio plug with no ID! Notice the wire ID for that one speaker? That is the ID to look up and somewhere on the 15 pin plug, there should be battery and ground as well!!!

If it's there, maybe a big help? OR maybe not there at all !!

Sometimes we have to look under lots of bushes before we find the golden Easter egg on this search!
I find it lots easier to know what wire I want BEFORE I crawl under the dash!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks! I completely forgot about the wiring diagrams from the Winnebago site!
Old 02-29-2024, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the wiring under the dash is yellow and white you can be assured it is Winnebago wiring, not GM.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:10 PM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q

The wiring on the old head unit will meet a certain standard that is universal, the connector will probably be different unless you get a new unit from the same manufacturer! If you feel changing it out is beyond your capabilities have it done where you buy it!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote