Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

When we traded our Montana fifth wheel for this MH, we thought we were in heaven. But one thing after another has made us rethink our decision.
Yesterday we noticed the fabric on the couch is coming apart. I am looking across at a booth seat and that's coming apart too. After 2 months on the road we're coming apart.
Is this a Winnebago problem or ours? We aren't due home until April and this thing will look awful by the time we get home.
None of our other MH's did this.......they were mostly Fleetwood.
Wish I had my Montana back.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When we traded our Montana fifth wheel for this MH, we thought we were in heaven. But one thing after another has made us rethink our decision.
Yesterday we noticed the fabric on the couch is coming apart. I am looking across at a booth seat and that's coming apart too. After 2 months on the road we're coming apart.
Is this a Winnebago problem or ours? We aren't due home until April and this thing will look awful by the time we get home.
None of our other MH's did this.......they were mostly Fleetwood.
Wish I had my Montana back.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our current coach is also an 07 Meridian. We have had no problems with any of the interior finishes and are verey satisfied with it. I wonder if all the cats and dogs have to do with the problems?
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Our furniture is holding up quite well after 30,000+ miles of use.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The one cat is a leather freak. The rest of the animals stay off the furniture. The other older cat may get up on the dash but she is old and fat. Both cats declawed.
The little dog has his own bed and the bigger dog is also getting up there in years (he'll be 11) and has arthritis.
We are the only ones who sit on the couch and in the booth. It's the seams that are coming apart. Shreding like.
Had the same animals in the fifth wheel. Had the fifth wheel longer than we've had this. Because of where the damage is, we've eliminated the animals.

Maybe it's "our turn" to have unit problems. We've been trouble free for years.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Seems very unusual to me. We spend 4-6 months in ours every summer/fall and do shorter trips during the winter. Our furniture still looks like brand new! You always hear manufacturers talk about a bad batch of hoses, bearings, etc... maybe Winnie got a bad batch of thread...

All kidding aside, that does not sound like normal and you should give Winnie customer service a call.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We've had various friends that have had "issues" with the wear/tear of their furniture and returned to Forest City for replacement/repair. Also had some go on their own and use the best material and thread and do a total recover of the furniture.

We have cats also declawed (front only) and discovered those hind feeties can do some real damage just in passing so don't discount pet causes right off. We try/tried to keep all furniture covered but that's not the answer for us apparently.

Still call the factory and see what they say but try keeping the furniture covered all the time also.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

No upholstery problems for us, either - after 3 years and 43,838 miles.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The couch is covered with two throws. The booth seat is the furthest on infront of the slide wall.
I know what a cat with just back claws can do. I need to replace the two front seats. She decided to use her teeth on those

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

after 4 years and 30+ thousand miles all our furniture is still like new
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Our '02 Horizon has about 40k miles, and all the furniture and carpet still look like new. No pets, and no shoes inside, but we enjoy the motorhome; a few throw rugs on the floor, but do not cover the furniture. I don't know why you are having the problem.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I haven't had any wearing issues but we did have some seam stitching problems. On the drivers seat (leather?) it took 2 times before I got the seat back without holes pocked in the skirting by StitchCraft. I also found holes poked in the leather recliner. I took it back on a following trip to Winnebago. I didn't want anymore repairs by StitchCraft, I just wanted to show how things were sent out. I am guessing the Tech spent a good hour trying to prove we had did it. So by turning the seat facing the wall in different directions, he showed how we done it! I really had to restrain myself on that one! So what I am saying, if you take this back to Winnebago, they will spend more time proving you are at fault, than fixing the problem!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

We are very unimpressed with how our cloth sofa is holding up. The cloth is disintegrating in some parts of the pattern ...pretty much each time that part of the pattern repeats. It will have to be recovered or replaced far earlier than it should be. Fortunately, nothing else is done in the same cloth. We have no problems anywhere else.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

You have a new unit, I think my first call would be to Winnebago customer service to register a complaint. The furniture in ours is just like new to this day, we travel with two cats too.

I would think that Winnebago would want to make this right on a unit as new as yours.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Mine is in great shape after 20K mi with 2 adults and 2 dogs.

Something is definitely going on with yours.

Report it directly to Winnebago and get a confirmation even if you are not going to a dealer yet. I did that with a problem I had and Winne fixed it even after the warranty expired no questions asked. As long as you have documentation they are very reasonable as per my experience.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

First coach was a 1995 Vectra 33RQ and the upholstery was like new until we lost it in a fire two years ago. Our current couch is 7 years old and was used by a videotographer who shot travel videos up the west coast and in
Alaska. We have two children an 80 lb dog and a cat. The coach is used for beach trips, construction sites and entertaining and after 2 years we have had no real upholstery failures except where sharp objects have caught and pulled a stitch here or there.

On a new coach I would politely bring it back to the dealer and have it taken care of under warranty.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I think one thing to consider on this subject is that Winnie uses several different fabrics each year on each brand. Our couch fabric is definitely wearing excessively, but the recliner with a different fabric, used at least as much, maybe more, is doing just fine. We have no pets, no children, so this is strictly the effect of sitting on the furniture. I have discussed this with Winnebago with no satisfaction, but I suspect that if we could actually see their records, we'd find that the particular fabric used to cover the couch has been a problem.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

After two years of use, our 2006 Voyage has held up quite well. We have two kids (5 and 3), we've lived in it off and on over this time. We've lived in it full time for 3 months in Mississippi, 4 months in Utah, 5 months in Florida followed by 4 months living full time in Alaska. During periods where we've not been in it full time, it has seen periodic weekend use. Our furniture has no noticeable wear, I've been impressed with its durability since we've owned it.
It's possible that Winnebago switched suppliers for the fabrics that are used in your model.
Sorry to hear about your furniture problems, I would be disappointed also. If it is mainly stitching that you're having problems with I'd take it to a good upholstery shop. They may be able to put stronger hidden stitching in by hand. It's worth looking into.
Take care,
Mitch
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #19

no problems with our 2005 meridian furniture.20,000 miles
littlebaler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

It might be interesting to see if it is just a particular fabric, color scheme etc that has been a problem.

What model year, item, fabric and color are we mostly having problems with? Also is it tearing, open seams/stiching or the frames falling apart?

Might see a common thread here if we list it that way.