Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Who crawls under their MH regularly besides me? I do my own services and look it over from front to back and find the darnest things. Tie wraps that have fallen off, allowing hoses to rub on the frame, screws missing from brackets, cracked and broken brackets. Oil leak at the hydraulic pump, loose genertor mounting bolts. Little things that if not corrected would no doubt turn into big deals.
Winnebago did not do a good job of painting after they welded their brackets to the Freightliner frame, lots of rust that is bebefitting from paint.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Who crawls under their MH regularly besides me? I do my own services and look it over from front to back and find the darnest things. Tie wraps that have fallen off, allowing hoses to rub on the frame, screws missing from brackets, cracked and broken brackets. Oil leak at the hydraulic pump, loose genertor mounting bolts. Little things that if not corrected would no doubt turn into big deals.
Winnebago did not do a good job of painting after they welded their brackets to the Freightliner frame, lots of rust that is bebefitting from paint.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Routine over and under inspections are the only way to keep small problems from becoming large ones

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've done the same things and then mentioned these same issues and more at this forum, only to be hammered by a certain administrator for telling it as it is. The truth is the truth and forums are the place to tell the truth, is it not?

There was a point in time when we were almost very happy with our coach and recommended Winnebago products, but then two major problems surfaced at 17,300 miles that were totally Winnebago's fault and responibility. Winnebago's, now, Customer Service Shop Supervisor told us "he was sorry that we had these problems and they would reimburse us our expenses to get everything fixed to OUR SATISFACTION and to send him our receipts". Well, we took his lead in these matters and his authorization to get the repair work done. I negotiated with all of the companies envolved with repair because their prices were extremely high. We at no time felt that we had Card Blanche, to spend freely, and I'm glade we took that position, because Winnebago deceived us and bold faced lied to us about covering our expensies. Had I not been deligent in holding the costs down, we would have been out a whole lot more.

What put the frosting on the cake, was when we were at this years GNR in Forest City, we scheduled an appointment with all the people in Customer Service and the Director. They purposely waited till the last day, in the afternoon of GNR to have the meeting, only to deceive us again. But what really bothered us was when the Director made a questioning statement, saying "why didn't we turn this into your insurance company"; just then we knew where they were coming from.

Here we are, sitting down with a multi-million dollar rv company, who gave us written authorization to get our coach repaired to our satifaction for problems that occured in their production and they make a statment like that! First of all, we're talking about product liability, second-that would be dishonest, third-it's a fraudulant act against our insurance provider, forth-it's at our expense again. Yea, our expense again. We have a $250 deductible to satisfy, this claim would then go against our insurance record for as long as we own this coach, our premiums would be subject to increases and we loose our depreciating deductable. So what was Winnebago out in this whole ordeal? Nothing, in fact they would have made out twice. Once when they sold the coach and second when they would have received a check from my insurance company. Fortunately, we did not allow this to happen, because the burden of the expenses and all the inconveniences were cover by us.

So, to Winnebago, we say "never again" and let the truth prevail.

Radarr
Old 10-09-2005, 05:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

RIGHT ON!!! Winnebago builds a cute product that sucks. We have our second Journey;see past posts about our first lemon. This one is nice but we do NOT go to W. for problems. We go to each manuf. of each product for satisfaction. We KNOW Winn. will ignore, manipulate and deceive us. If it works, keep doing it--their motto.-next unit will be an Oregon product so we can live in their parking lot when we have issues. Good luck with yours!!
KathiE-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
I've done the same things and then mentioned these same issues and more at this forum, only to be hammered by a certain administrator for telling it as it is. The truth is the truth and forums are the place to tell the truth, is it not? ..... and let the truth prevail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Radarr, I "never" hammered you! Nor have I suggested anything negative in my previous post that "anyone" here would assume is deragatory. I only pointed out that the name that you used to register here on iRV2.com does not have a Winnebago Motorhome registerd under that name nor were any finacial claims made by the name you listed in your profile.

If you're such a beacon for the truth, please look in the mirror first.

"Truth" we can deal with.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
Who crawls under their MH regularly besides me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pennsylvania has an annual state vehicle inspection. I have mine done by a large trucking company. I stay with the mechanic while he inspects my coach and chat with him. He points out possible problems and gives me maintenance tips. I tip him and the ~$60 for the state inspection is well worth it.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It's my understanding that this is a RV Forum to discuss issues about our coaches, not a Winnebago Claim Center. Resolutions to our problems will have to come from the source. When they read these replies they'll know perfectly well who their reading about, although, since there are a number of us out here in the same situtation, there again they may not.

I know, that if we weren't deceived so cleverly and then lied too, we wouldn't feel so discussed and insulted. No where in our lives has a situation like this presented itself to us, that has ever caused us to react as we have. By nature and as sensible human beings, we are reactionary. Newtons theory, "for ever action, there is a reaction", stands true.

Radarr
Old 10-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Gunny, I too have noticed the rust at the weld to the frame. Winnie to the Workhorse in my case. I spray a little Extend on it and it stops the rust.
Not really necessary but what the heck, I'm retired.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hey TomN

How often do you have to have that inspection? We returned from hershey a couple weeks ago, and that was expense also. I thought we bought a section of the Turnpike. If wasn't bad enough going there, it cost us more to coming back. They told me, that I must have hit the scales too fast and triggered a class 5 when all our other fees were for a class 4. It's mighty expensive crossing Pennsylvania. I think we'll find another way next time. How do you get across your state without dipping into your bank account?

Radarr
Old 10-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

KathiE

Any particular brands in mind? The Intrigue by CC looks nice and the Dynasty from Monaco is a great buy.

Radarr
Old 10-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Radarr everywhere has charged us class 5. Coming back this trip, we came across 80 dowm 99 and 16 miles on the turnpike,there is no charge from 99 to Breezewood. Price has really gone up. IN and OH were reasonable but not good old PA. On topic, we haven't seen any weld rust on ours yet.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

beabop,

If you stay out of the snow belt, where they use a lot salt and sand, you probably won't see much rust. But dirve through those areas that do, and electro-deposistion paint job doesn't really mean much. We can back one time to norhtern Indian from the south in Feburary and that spring, there was rust every where. I used a product call Extend, to kill the rust then I bought a bunch of cans of rubberized undercoat and sprayed the heck out of everything except wires, fuel lines and brake lines. Ever now and then I find a spot that got missed and have to touch it up.

Radarr
Old 10-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I was also at Hershey. I ran out route 422 to 22 to Altoona. Then south on I99 to Beford. We took the pike from Bedford to Hershey. Yup they increased the tolls about a year ago and they are high.

PA state vehicle inspection is once a year. Cars are about $20 and a large vehicle like a class A motorhome are about $60. They pull wheels, check brakes, suspension, lights, etc. Makes me feel comfortable in my motorhome knowing Everything is OK. I always have them air my tires and I'm good to go.

If you buy a used coach from PA and it has a current inspection sticker on it you can be fairly certain they'll be no quick surprises.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote