Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea...now I have to learn a WHOLE bunch about the equipment and disease (syndrome?)

Was wondering how many of you guys travel with your CPAP machines and how you do it? I dry camp a lot and don't have a 12V outlet nearby the bed.

What kind of machines do you guys use? Do you have a preference on a machine that travels well?

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea...now I have to learn a WHOLE bunch about the equipment and disease (syndrome?)

Was wondering how many of you guys travel with your CPAP machines and how you do it? I dry camp a lot and don't have a 12V outlet nearby the bed.

What kind of machines do you guys use? Do you have a preference on a machine that travels well?

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have been using a CPAP machine for over a year.

Mine runs on 120V ... it is a REMstarPRO Model M made by Respionics ... the sticker on the bottom says it draws 1.7 amps ...

It sets on the little night stand on my side of the bed ...

I have never dried to camp without electricity since I started using the machine ... I know that my whole house inverter would run down my batteries before the night is over so I have not tried ...

It may be possible to use a small stand-alone inverter and run it ... I have never tried ... I have managed to find at least a 15 amp circuit everyplace I have been since I started using the CPAP and plugged in to "shore power" ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same REMstar Pro and have dry camped several times. I did mount an invertor next to my bed since it was only a short distance from the battery. The couple of times I did use it I stayed up late and got up early to avoid draining my batteries.

2001 Ford F250 7.3 Supercab PSD
CWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a REMstar pro also, had some others before. When I use it on inverter, I make sure nothing else is plugged in or drawing off the batteries, haven't had any problems sleeping through the nite

2004 Saturn Vue
keleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Check out cpaptalk.com and cpap.com for much information about cpap machines. My wife and I are both on cpap and don't dry camp but I have set up places to put the machines in the trailer. The machines are available with 12 volt hookups but you can't use a heated humidifier on 12 volts. There are lots of options for machines, even self contained battery powered.
rclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

RocketDork;

I have a CPAP machine for about 2.5 years. I carry it with me on the night stand by the bed. Like others mine is a REMstar. I have not tried it dry camping yet. I also like to have 15 amps at least for power. Don't be afraid about sleeping. I sleep like a baby and dream like never before. They are not very romantic in bed it night but you will get used to it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have the Remstar Plus M series. I use a small inverter with a 12V extension cord as my 12V outlet is on the other end of the bedroom. I know it can be used with a 12V cord that you can somewhere like Radio Shack to run it directly off 12V, but like said before you can not use the heated humidifier. When running directly off 12V you can still fill the humidifier tank, but it won't be heated. I take mine with me everytime I travel. It has made a huge improvement in my sleep and do not leave home without it.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I've been using a CPAP for going on three years. Mine lives in the overhead cabinet above the bed. I had Newmar put in an AC outlet up there for it (on the inverter). We have 8 6v AGM batteries in the coach bank (and 3 12v starting batteries in the chassis bank). I don't think the CPAP's going to run them down significantly...

joe
Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I just plug my CPAP into the wall outlet beside the bed and go to sleep. I have never had a problem with it when I'm dry camping.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
CD
Winnebago Watcher

My wife uses a CPAP. We use a 300W inverter. So far there's been no problem. I think you could use a smaller inverter. The 300 is what we had. We dry camp more than having hookups.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I'm about 10 years into using a CPAP----Mine has a 12 volt system that plugs into the M/H plug. If you don't have a 12v plugin, you can go to a auto parts store they are cheap and easy to install. Unless you're camping in the dead of winter you won;t need to heat the air. I usually don't anyhow. If you do buy one,just make sure you can get the 12v cord with it. I;ve never had a problem with the batteries that way
Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Have any of you used this 12V adaptor?

12 Volt adaptor
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Count me in on the REMstar Plus users. I use it AC only since we don't boondock. It will run on DC but I have never used it that way. I didn't know it until a few minutes ago when I checked it for this post. I don't have a DC cord for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

? did you snore REALLY BAD?? It has been suggested to me ..just asking..
Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have a CPAP machine - a Respironics Remstar Pro - seems to be a popular machine.

A little info about current draw that might be helpful if you want to boondock.

The blower and circuitry will run on 12 vdc but the heated humidifier requires ac voltage. According to technical customer service the machine will run on a 300 watt modified sine wave inverter.

The blower and associated circuitry requires 3 amps at 12.6 volts.
For eight hours of use that would be 3 X 8 = 24 amp hours.

The humidifier requires 170 watts.
Amps = watts/volts. 170/12.6 = 13.5 amps. Eight hours of use would = 13.5 x 8 = 108 amp hours.

Total amp hours for eight hours use would be 108 + 24 = 132 amp hours.

You might want to increase that by ten percent or so to allow for the inverter efficiency. 1.1 x 132= 145 amp hours.

It's best to not discharge your batteries to more than 50%.

If I ever boondock with mine I think I will forgo the heated humidifier and the associated current draw.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I HAD snored for years but the Admiral questioned my breathing, which would stop, amidsts the snores, sometimes for 20 or more seconds.
I was becoming more sleep deprived, and sleeping in the day time frequently, so decided to seek a Specalist in Sleep Disorders.
During an 'all night' recording session, I was found to stop breathing for as much as 53 seconds over 600 times in an 7 hour period.
Not Good.
Prescribed C-Pap System (120 Volt/12 Volt) and now there is no tossing and turning, no feet and leg kicking, snoring or deep sleep interuptions.
We have a 12volt plug in the BR and when boon docking I sleep as well as I do when on shore power.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We are awaiting the results on my wife's sleep apnia test. Right now she is sleeping with an oxy-concentrator which is one big noisey son-of-a-gun and generates a lot of heat. We will find out next week on the tests and if we need a CPAP machine...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I have been on CPAP for twelve years. Started out with a big-honkin' machine. It was heavy and my wife said it sounded like a distant jet engine starting up when I turned it on for the night. But it was far quieter than my snoring.

I travel heavily for my job and the beating the machines have taken getting banged around the world shortens their life significantly. So I have had the opportunity to try several different machines. I am on the fourth one of the model I have now. It is the GoodKnight 420G (purchased from CPAP.com). It is a very small footprint, light as a feather (comparatively speaking) and runs on virtually any voltage. If you have the adapater, you can plug into it.

For those of you just becoming enlightened about sleep apnea I gotta tell you that getting on a CPAP machine is probably one the best quality of life improvements I have ever had. My wife said it has been for her too.

Like said in a previous post, I dream like never before, wake up rested, don't fall asleep every time I sit still for more than 5 minutes and nobody in the house is mad at me for making racket all night.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">wake up rested, don't fall asleep every time I sit still for more than 5 minutes and nobody in the house is mad at me for making racket all night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This pretty much sums it up!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote