Getting there, slowly but surely.
One side is almost done.
Rollers arrived and I found a 3/4 inch thick oak veneer plywood at lowes. It was partly damaged so they gave it too me for 20 bucks. I only needed enough good area to make two end pieces so it fit the bill perfectly. It is a bit too red so I ordered a two part bleach kit from my local paint supply store to try to take out the red so I can use my minwax golden pecan to match the rest of the cabinets. Regular, non veneer,red oak boards match very closely with just a urethane over them and no stain, but for some reason this veneer is so red stains don't have any effect unless they are dark brown. I drove the poor guy nuts at the box store trying out a bunch of different colors on some scrap pieces.
Next step is to cut the hole for the drawer in the end cap and make a drawer front probably out of solid red oak.
I am happy so far, the drawer pulls out easily yet there seems to be enough friction so it might stay in place without a hasp to keep it closed, but that will remain to be seen
The height of the drawer is enough to keep it from falling downward after it is pulled out as it rests against the bench seat support on the back. I may add a board on the other side for this purpose also.
Measurements I worked out were 41 1/2 long, 8 inch high, and 19 1/2 wide. Nice and big. I may have to add some lauan dividers but again that is later.
Here are pictures: