Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We just picked up our new to us coach and would like to know if there is a air line tap for air tires, running air tools etc. We got a 99 Itasca Suncruiser 34V diesel pusher and so far are quite happy with it. There is not sealant on the roof joint but we expeceted that. Anyway where would be a good place to add a air fitting since I have not been able to find one and the dealer said that there was none. Thanks for any info.

Clay & Sharon
Old 02-17-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just picked up our new to us coach and would like to know if there is a air line tap for air tires, running air tools etc. We got a 99 Itasca Suncruiser 34V diesel pusher and so far are quite happy with it. There is not sealant on the roof joint but we expeceted that. Anyway where would be a good place to add a air fitting since I have not been able to find one and the dealer said that there was none. Thanks for any info.

Clay & Sharon
Old 02-17-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations on the Suncrusier. You're now going to start the fun of familiarizing yourself with the new rig

As far as a air fitting, most chassis are manufactured with an air manifold under the front hood of the motorhome. This manifold is installed by the chassis manufacturer for the body builder to use to connect their accessories onto.

Try looking underneath the hood and seeing if you can trace the air hoses from your air horn solenoid if you have one. That hose, along with several others will go to a distribution manifold which is usually just a metal block with multiple ports with plugs in them. If you can't find the manifold easily, you can try following the hoses from the air storage tanks.

I think my air manifold has 1 hose feeding the manifold, and about 4 hoses coming off. There were still quite a few unused ports, so I added a quick connect air fitting to one of them.

I carry a couple air hoses with matching quick connects in the motorhome. I havn't ever needed air on the road for the motorhome tires yet, but I sure have made quite a few kids at various campgrounds happy when they find flat tires on their bikes
Old 02-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Joe:

Mine has a tire valve and the coiled hose has one of those lever-action gizmos that is a PITA to attach. Did you just remove the tire valve from the manifold and add the quick-connect? Mine looks like 1/8" NPT threads.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

An additional suggestion would be to add a manual "turnoff" before the quick disconnect. Quich disconnects have been known to leak and occasionally fail completely.

This is no big deal at the factory, but a serious airleak while underway may facilitate a quick stop before air pressure drops and ebgages the emergency air brakes.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Joe-K
Found the manifold in the front. It has a tire valve on the top that I assume is to bleed off the lines and 6 plugged outlet taps.

El Jeffe
What would you use as a manual turnoff that will not leak also?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear you found the manifold. I knew I had a picture of what ours looks like so I'll post it anyway. As you can see, I screwed the quick connect directly into the manifold, although a shut of valve like a 1/4 turn ball valve is a good idea.

I was a little reluctant to screw a ball valve into the manifold, then the quick connect into the valve as I was getting concerned about the amount of unsupported weight hanging on the manifold. Maybe this summer I'll redo it by adding a hose from the manifold to a ball valve and quick connect that are mounted on some type of bracket I'll fabricate.

smlranger: Ours came with that coiled hose and shrader valve clamp as well. I think I tried to use it once and said forget it...it is a PITA and leaks, pulls off when you try to stretch the hose out, etc. I just went with the quick connect in the manifold as in the photo.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Joe, thanks for the photo. I had not looked at the manifold carefully and hadn't noticed there was a plug that could be removed for adding a quick connect. I believe I will take your suggestion and install a hose barb in the manifold and install the female quick connect in the compartment under the driver's window.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ottersea - ball valve from Lowe's or Home Depot will work fine. To make them effective you just have to remember to turn them off.

In addition, the coiled hoses suck. Just go to Sam's and buy a 50' or 75' air line and add fits at both ends. They coil up like garden hose but are much smaller in diameter and are made for high psi. Most are yellow.

We use them in the factory all the time and the MH.

The coiled hoses just get stuck in the other coils, they are small diameter and won't last as long as the real thing.

JMHO

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #10

.......remember the ball valve....save yourself from a headache with a stuck/leaking quick connect....geof kaye