Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Ceiling fan and cover replacement

. I have a 1994 Vectra. My ceiling fan and cover are the old type with only one arm that I have to open manually I’d like to replace it with something that is maybe remote control that has two arms holding up the cover because we have excessive wind here and the one arm just doesn’t cut it any recommendations for a replacement
Linda Anzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I did a quick search on etrailer.com and came up with this
MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan, Thermostat, and Remote - Powered Lift - 10 Speed - White with a price of $320.

That really all I can help you with other than most ceiling openings are pretty close to the same size. I would think finding the model of fan you want would be harder than putting it in.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
Site Team

If you have excessive wind I'd recommend a cover over the top. We've got those and they do help keep the vent cover protected.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan, Thermostat, and Remote - Powered Lift - 10 Speed - White with a price of $320.

That really all I can help you with other than most ceiling openings are pretty close to the same size. I would think finding the model of fan you want would be harder than putting it in.

$264 on Amazon and, it includes an integrated cover/rain shield, which saves you an additional $40 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00070...s%2C214&sr=8-4
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post

That was one of the very first improvements we made to our Minnie Winnie. Installed two of those MaxxFan Deluxe units. Liked them so much we got a 3rd one for the bathroom. Having the remote controls is the cat's meow!

The only thing "difficult" about the installations was no 12v power already run to the vent locations. Had to run wiring from nearby light fixtures. Other coaches might be pre-wired.

As mentioned elsewhere, adding vent covers to the roof allows the vents to be open during rainy weather and while traveling down the road. MaxxFan makes those too and they are an easy add on.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Many things depend on what features and what price we each want. We like to have vent covers so we can leave them open without worry about rain so we add that to the fan unit when we get into that area. But if we want to get a quieter fan, we don't feel we need remotes and this fan is a great one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxxair-Max...wAAOSwv9Vcr2Cz
Only four speeds as we never found use for more and no remote but also less money at close to $150.
Now that there are so many good small temperature controllers on the market, I would want to tie the fan to a controller, rather than even deal with the remote. Now how spoiled is that? One simple way to deal with temp control may be handy as well. Considered using one of the battery operated thermostats designed for home use but only needing a small AA battery to power the thermostat and switch the 12VDC on and off for the fan? The advantage of the digital thermostat is that it is a very simple way to get very precise temp control compared to the mechanical stat we often find in RV.
This might be as nice as a remote?
simple to wire as it is just a simple switch:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-D...nic/1000275931
Decisions are the hard part????
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Anzel View Post
. I have a 1994 Vectra. My ceiling fan and cover are the old type with only one arm that I have to open manually I’d like to replace it with something that is maybe remote control that has two arms holding up the cover because we have excessive wind here and the one arm just doesn’t cut it any recommendations for a replacement

Those should be Fantastic Fan Vents in both the kitchen and bath which have double insulated lids on them. Fantastic before the buyout by Atwood used to replace any parts that broke on their vents at no charge regardless of whether you were the first owner or not. If the lid is broken call Fantastic about a replacement lid and you may get one for free and then consider putting a vent cover on to protect from wind and water.

Before ordering a powered one be sure to verify that power is already available there which you can do by calling Winnebago Customer Support. You also really do not want to be disturbing the bond of the roof system or chance breaking through the air conditioning duct work in the ceiling while trying to cut a route for an electrical wire especially considering the foam and adhesives are 26 years old now. You also do not want to disturb the perforated headliner either since you will likely end up with a drooping headliner if you disturb it and start the foam rubber backing down the road to separating from the vinyl fabric.

Tags
ace, ceiling, fan, replace, replacement