Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A/C compressor shuts off in extreme hot weather

It looks like the compressor overtemp/current is shutting off when the weather is above 100 degs. I can tell from the current draw the the compressor is shutting down. The fan keeps running. I watch the voltage and current draw and it starts at about 1500 watts and slowly rises until it hits around 2000 watts then it shuts off. Usually 112.5vac at 17amps. If the weather is cooler than 100 degs it seems to do ok with temp out of the a/c around 57 degs and cools the RV after a short time.

Any ideas what's causing this? Is the compressor going bad, is it low on freon, or is the thermal switch going bad? Luckily we are home right now so we aren't baking inside it but I want to fix it!! Any ideas welcome.

rreynolds51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Rick & Debbi,
I have heard it said that it is less costly and more reliable to replace these roof-top air conditioners, rather than try to have them repaired. I would, however, take the plastic cover off of the unit and see if there are any signs of a component scorching. If it is something that simple, then I would try to replace that. Hopefully, somebody with some real world experience will chime-in here too.
Good luck; Eagle5
Old 08-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I've had the cover off and don't see any signs of scorching or nothing abnormal. It's very repeatable in that I can watch the power go up until it hits that 1900 to 2000 watt level then it trips. Very frustrating to say the least. I have another thermal switch but since I see the power going up I'm pretty sure the switch is just doing it's job.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi again Rick & Debbi,
Glad you checked for outward signs of damage. I am guessing that it is time for a new unit. I wonder how much they cost now?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-07-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Anyone out there have one of the Houghton/Rec Pro 15K AC's using it in extreme hot weather? I would like to know how they do when temps exceed 100 degs. Mine sure goes downhill fast when temps rise....above 100.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My 15 View G has the 15k heat pump. It cool well but shuts the compressor off then a few minutes it turns on. The thermostat has not hit the set temp. This goes on all day long.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If it comes back on it's not the overtemp fault, I believe. With an overtemp there's a relay in there that stays locked up so the fan keeps going but the compressor can't come back on until you turn if off with the thermostat or thru power. After that it will come back on with fan and compressor.
Does yours cook in extreme temps??? IT was 105 today and I had thermostat at 88 degs and it stayed on all day. Of course 88 degs isn't very comfortable. I never had this problem with the coleman I had on our fifth wheel.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Inspect the coils to make sure the evaporator coil is not icing up where the freeze detector is located. During high humidity always run the fan on high to help prevent icing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

No humidity issues here. It a high of 11% today. No excess moisture coming off ours.Definitey over temp tripping.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Assured that any vents for air flow over things are clear?
Wacko idea if it might fit? any chance of relocating the Rv so that the Air unit is in the shade?
Or possible to rig a shade for temp use to see if that would help it cool to avoid overheat?
Possible it is just going bad but one of the things we will have to deal with in the future is rethinking and redoing many of the things we have used for years. My A/C unit is on the South and West side of the house and it works much better if we can get shade to it as well as make sure the air is not restricted.
The discusions of warming are always so dumb that it really isn't worthwhile to mention what we will have to do in the future, so I don't bother much, but finding shade is going to be a much bigger issue than mentioned.
We've been out on trekking and one of the things we noticed was that the cattle were smart enough to hit the shade trees or pond early!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 11:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I would love some shade in my driveway, but no such luck unfortunately. I've installed some vent improvements, to include clearing out some foam that was blocking the vent output and enlarging it. It helped and the AC works good enough below 90 degs or so. Above 100 it really sucks. Are out of the vents, below 100 degs, is around 58 degs most of the time. So it's working but it should work about 100 degs and not shut off in my opinion. I think I'll need to pull the pin and get one of the new RecPro's and try it. It's very frustrating dealing with this plus this has to be the hottest summer in history. We are postponing some travel do to the heat. So can't win. LOL
Old 08-08-2023, 03:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

With the RV, we are often caught in a bad spot where we are not sure it is worth going for a repair look or not!
But I might also mention that it is not always something big that may cost too much to fix!
There are some somewhat simple things. sometimes it is gas which is too low and those get pricey to fix th eleak but then there are those things like run capacitors which are close to being cheap, at least compared to replacement.

Always a question on which risk to take but on a fairly new, for RV, machine, I might lean toward getting a good pro to check the cheap stuff and roll the dice a bit?
Do you know enough history on the Rv, to say if the air has been worked a lot more than "normal" use?
Five years would seem to be pretty quick failure as we often find them still going much, much longer?
Certainly not a sure bet but maybe worth a $100 to avoid the REALLY big bill!

Fully admit that I have not had a pro look at any RV ac, so my numbers may be totally off, so perhaps a call to a few places to find a ball park estimate for a check?

Not lucky enough to have a close friend to do a simple look? I have brothers for that sort of trading!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreynolds51 View Post
It looks like the compressor overtemp/current is shutting off when the weather is above 100 degs. I can tell from the current draw the the compressor is shutting down. The fan keeps running. I watch the voltage and current draw and it starts at about 1500 watts and slowly rises until it hits around 2000 watts then it shuts off. Usually 112.5vac at 17amps. If the weather is cooler than 100 degs it seems to do ok with temp out of the a/c around 57 degs and cools the RV after a short time.

Any ideas what's causing this? Is the compressor going bad, is it low on freon, or is the thermal switch going bad? Luckily we are home right now so we aren't baking inside it but I want to fix it!! Any ideas welcome.

I think most of the ideas above cover your best options. Your filters have to be clean, in this hot weather especially. The load on the unit is heavy. Have you thought of putting a shade fly above the units?
Old 08-13-2023, 06:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

rreynolds51, Have you cleaned the condenser coils, a light film of dirt can quickly reduce the efficiency of the coils and cause the unit to overheat. Get some condenser cleaner and wash the condenser coils (not to much pressure) also check the evaporator coils. Another thing to check for is cold air by pass in the lower part of the A/C unit.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:11 PM   #15
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Anyone out there have one of the Houghton/Rec Pro 15K AC's using it in extreme hot weather? I would like to know how they do when temps exceed 100 degs. Mine sure goes downhill fast when temps rise....above 100.
Sorry to hear you’re having AC issues. I’m not familiar with your unit. I’ve had a number of coaches but most have had the Coleman Mach AC units.
I think there are many good suggestions in the responses you’ve received. We live in the Arizona Desert. We’ve owned 7 motorhomes, presently own a 2022 Vista class A. We struggle to keep it cool, but it never has had an issue working. It may only get to 85 in the coach but when testing the incoming airflow it’s below 60 degrees. It’s just impossibly hot here and our coach has lots of windows.

If you have a repair shop you trust, my guess is their diagnostic fee is under $200. It might be worth the cost to help find a solution. Good luck .
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:11 PM   #16
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

The above in red appears to be part of your problem but not enough details in your post.
You mention you are parked at home; do you have a true 30 amp RV service for your View to plug into? What is your no-load voltage at the View power center?
The 112.5 volts and 17 amps is a small concern, the compressor protection is kicking in taking the compressor out to prevent a motor burn.
A couple items can make for high amp draw: low voltage, poor connection, undersized wiring or a faulty component (motor/capacitor).
The high outside temps should not make the compressor trip but it will make it harder to cool the interior space.
If it were me, I would check the voltage at the power center or EMS if you have one with no load (including battery charger turned off). If you have low voltage without a load, the voltage will drop more with a load.

If all good there, the next is to check/inspect wiring for the A/C. Start at the power center check for a good tight connection. Check the connections at the A/C including at the compressor. Typically these are crimp-type terminals and can corrode or loosen. Other components in the A/C can cause high amp cycling issues but these are better left to a properly trained service technician to diagnose.

Bobby

Tags
compressor