Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sewage smell from 1/2 bath 2010 Suncruiser 37F

Another question, we have a 2010 Suncruiser 37F. It has a full bath in the rear and 1/2 bath in the hall. There is a sewage smell coming from the 1/2 bath and not the full bath area. Have researched and cannot find why. This is not my first motorhome and have never had a smell problem with any of winniebago before. I have flushed the black tank Three times yesterday and put Happy Camper and 1 cup dawn along with 3-4 gallons of water. How is the two toilets connected? Can see underneath to see if they both dump in the tank or a tube goes from 1 toilet to the tank and the other toilet dumps directly into the bulk tank. Any help again will be appreciated.
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

One of the small points that I have found on smell is that they can be hard to trace, so where I smell it may not be the correct spot.
But there are two spots which seem likely to be the problem.
When we don't have vent pipes going up and out the roof at each drain, they often use a gizmo with different names at times. One name used is "air admitance valve" or on your RV it lists a vent-mechanical for the same thing.
Idea is that as we drain water from a sink, there should always be water left standing in the trap as a seal to keep odors from coming up and in.
But if we don't have a way to let air come in the pipe, the water going down can cause enough vacuum to suck the air out of the trap and down the drain!

One might check the trap in the small bath to make sure there is water in the trap and it hasn't simply dried out whikle the RV is stored OR the valve may be stuck open. I find a simple flap that can get mold/fungus /gunk to make it stick.

I see two on your RV. one under each sink.

Click this drawing to get a better view or go direct here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...f_plumbing.pdf

First is the sink in front with vent and the small bath at right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	185349

Second is detail of the one in small bath

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	185350

I might first make sure water is in trap to stop odor but the valve is often just a simple thing screwed into a threaded coupling on 1 1/2 PVC and pretty standard as well as pretty cheap, so I don't fight the question too long before just going for a new one!

Something like this but common in lots of big box or hardware:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Plas...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I agree with Richard. quite often the gray tank will smell just as bad as the black tank. After replacing the air-admittance valve in the ½bath, if the odor doesn't go away, fill the commode with water up to the rim, some older commodes have a water trap in the overflow outlet, which causes the same problem as the air-admittance valve does with the lavatory.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ray has a good thought on the stool! Take a look at how it is closing and make sure it is set to leave just a touch of water on top of the seal when it closes. If they get funky and don't close all the way, it lets smell come up. The seal should close and then the water still run just enough to cover the seal.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thxs, will do. I replaced the air vent yesterday and filled the commode with water. Don’t see a overflow in the commode. Only thing ther in the bowl is the water outlet. Where is the overflow valve?
Thxs H
Old 03-18-2023, 08:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Those commodes that have an overflow hole, it's under the rim where the inlet water holes are located. The overflow passage has a P trap to stop odors. Yours may not have one if you can fill the bowl past the flange at the rim(just ready to overflow)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F and had a simular problem. It turned out to be the P-trap on the washer/dryer combo, which is directly across the hall from the 1/2 bath. We never used the washer for years, so the P-trap was bone dry. I removed the washer drain hose from the drain and plugged it, after turning off the feed lines to the washer. That solved the smell issue.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A few thoughts:

Are you using the toilet in the half bath?

My newer coach with a half bath has a macerator that pumps the half bath black tank to the main black drain. The 1/2 bath has dump handles and another on the wet bay side. Are you sure that you are performing the dump sequence outlined in the owners manual?

Finally, on mine there is a connection between the macerator and tank. The connection on mine was a pvc fitting. It came from the dealer cracked and leaked black water tank contents into the compartment. That's where my smell came from.

I hope you have already found the source!
Old 03-20-2023, 05:33 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The Itasca Suncruiser 37F has no maserator. The full bath has a power flush that propelles waste about 20 feet to the black tank at a junction below the 1/2 bath. The oder is coming from somewhere other than th 1/2 bath, unless the sink p-trap is dry.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for info but we don’t have a washer/dryer.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouts honor View Post
Thanks for info but we don’t have a washer/dryer.
But if your RV has the W/D prep package, there is a standpipe with a P-trap behind the W/D cabinet.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

If this searching, maybe a couple other ideas to look over? Possibly they added the plumbing lines but not a washer drier and they "might" be leaking smell?

If this is the place for the washer drier, maybe worth a check for open plumbing?
plumbing drawings here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...f_plumbing.pdf
Click these snips to get better view.

Top view

Name:	washer drier copy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	185445

From the side

Name:	washer drier 2 copy.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	185446

But then it may be a worst case thing where there are grommets hidden just on top of the black tank and they can get dry , break down or fall out of place? But they are also under the floor and very close to the vent pipe whcih tends to suck fumes upward and out at the roof. I tend to not think of them as letting much go up through the floor to collect inside.
But when searching for answers, I never like to totally ignore them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grommet.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	185447  
Old 03-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I’ll check the build sheet. Thanks again
Old 03-23-2023, 05:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Yep, what Morich posted is the washer/dryer prep package. The P-trap is there regardless if it is used.The best solution is to put a cap on the pipe if you never plan to install a clothes washer.

Tags
smell, suncruiser