Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Travel Trailer Tires

Does anyone know what brand tires come on a new Winnebago Micro Minnie? I have read a few articles about the cheap tires that manufacturers put on new units from the factory. Thanks in advance...
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My 2016 Winnebago Minnie 2201DS came with Westlake tires. 205/75R14. They are rated for 75 mph. Yes, they are chinese tires but I haven't had any problems with them yet.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Had one fail last summer, in the middle of a tornado warning in OK. Dumped all four.
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
Had one fail last summer, in the middle of a tornado warning in OK. Dumped all four.
What brand did you change to ?
Old 12-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUS1MO View Post
What brand did you change to ?
Bought 4 Maxxis M8008s.
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUS1MO View Post
Does anyone know what brand tires come on a new Winnebago Micro Minnie? I have read a few articles about the cheap tires that manufacturers put on new units from the factory. Thanks in advance...
I work in the tire industry and I can tell you that trailer tires are not what they used to be. There aren't any produced in the US anymore with the majority of them coming from China. I wouldn't run a trailer tire for more than 3 years if you are towing the trailer regularly.

The chemicals they use to hold the ply's together is not the best and they use very little wax in the compound to protect against UV.

The best way to get the most from your tires is to keep them covered when not moving and keep them inflated properly. Inspect your tires before every trip by running your hands over the treads and feeling for the beginnings of tread separations.

I once had all 4 fail on a single trip and they were Carlisle's

There should be a date code on the sidewall that indicates the date of manufacture. Check that when you get your trailer. Age is sometimes more important than miles as the adhesives that help hold the ply's together degrade over time.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas!
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Is there something else a person can use on a travel trailer? Like most I guess, I have 205 70 14 radial tires.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have been reading everything I can find concerning the ST trailer tires. Seems as Forza Tom says all the ST trailer tires are made in China, Indonesia, or Taiwan. Apparently none are made in the good ole' USA. One source says one is better and someone else says another brand is better but all agree that none are good enough to prevent blowouts and possible damage to our valuable units. Some people say to change wheels and tires to an LT (Light Truck) tire to get extended use and hopefully no blowouts. I would not mind changing rims and tires to get a cure all but that is an expensive process. If any of you have a better observation or fix for this tire thing, let us know.. Thanks..
Old 12-31-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Maxxis tires have worked well for us, but I replace tires after 5 or 6 years. I ran the stock Chineese tires on our Minnie for two seasons and replaced them before a major trip out west in 2015.

IMHO, you improve your chances of not having problems by monitoring pressure regularly, keep your speed to 65 mph or less, avoid overloading your trailer and change all tires on a regular basis i.e. every 5-6 years.

The only tires I ever had that developed irregular wear patterns were a set of Marathons I had on our Sunline trailer. Luckily, I noticed the problem with one one tire while at an overnight stop and had the tire changed. We were headed home, so once we got home, a new set of Maxxis tires went on the trailer.

If I were buying tires, I think two of the best choices are Maxxis and based on reviews, Kendra tires. But....any of them can fail, especially if not used properly.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

My Westlake tires are only a year old and I'm hoping to get another season out of them. They look like new and I check the air pressure before every trip. I'll change out to Maxxis tires when I do change. They are more expensive than most of the others but the general consensus is that they last longer.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Jayco and Goodyear have an agreement for Goodyear to provide American made tires for all Jaycos....not sure when it's starting.
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, travel, travel trailer