Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I would go to the tire store and price the job.. You may need to go to a "Truck" type store.. Also consider joining FMCA and getting the discount if you stick with Mitchlin.

As for the delaer now: Try to talk them down a bit on the price, (LIke 1.5 times the estimate the tire store gives you, Odds are they will come down.. A bit.

You might also send a letter to the state DMV after you buy the rig.. Just state that they sold it with 14 year old tires. Explain that you and the dealer worked out a slightly lower price because you insisted on getting new tires, but also tell them exactly what you said in your original post "They said they are still good".

You might state that all you ask they do is note and file your letter, You are not asking for any action or refund (you worked that out, remember) Just note and file.

I have this theory, it is the airplane theory of complaints against dealers.

The old joke is the airplane will fly when the weight of the paperwork exceeds the weight of the airframe.

Action will be taken against the dealer when the weight of the complaints exceeds the weight of the investigator.

So add to the pile.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Tell the dealer you want the gen fixed, the jacks working, and new tires.Is this guy a used car dealer??????????? (moderator edit)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I think the O.P. has already signed off on the other problems- those were discussed before he made the deal.
I think his issue is with the age of the tires, and whether the dealer lulled him into a potentially unsafe situation. It sounds to me like they did discuss the tire age, and that the dealer quoted Michelin as saying the tires would be "fine". Might be worth asking for that in writing...

Also:
Regardless of contract terms, it's illegal in most states to knowingly put unsafe equipment on the road, so it seems to me that if the O.P. was able to get an opinion from a Tire Professional on this subject, he might have some leverage with the dealer.

And by "Tire Professional", I mean a live, local person, not just us internet experts... however helpful we may be.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #24

Tire Rack's take on tire age - HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

The first line of the OP's thread was "I have contracted to buy".... I believe that is accurate. It sounds to me, that they entered into a contract, and, usually a deposit is required to bind the deal. The poster sounded like he was disclosed to about the problems, generator, retractor springs, etc.

I know that this site is for helping others, and for advice, but I think the poster willingly, bought this vehicle and felt it was worth the price. I ma sure it would not hurt to ask the dealer, or try to renegotiate.

What we all have to remember is, the dealer has the right to stand firm and not do anything. If there is a signed contract, and any money has changed hands, the dealer has the right to enforce the contract. The dealer may or may not want to do that, but in the end, that is his position. I don't think the spirit of these threads should be to cause anyone to do anything against the law.

I think the original poster was satisfied with the deal when he signed papers, and it seems to me he is looking for advice about how to get these things fixed, and how to get them fixed cheaply.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

From the FWIW file:

When does NHTSA recommend that tires should be replaced?
While tire life will ultimately depend on the tires’ service conditions and the environment in which they operate, there are some general guidelines. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced every six years regardless of use. In addition, a number of tire manufacturers cite 10 years as the maximum service life for tires. Check the owner’s manual for specific recommendations for your vehicle. Remember, it is always wise to err on the side of caution if you suspect your vehicle has tires that are over six years of age.

safercar.gov

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv.../07-0496-W.pdf
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I think the O.P. has already signed off on the other problems- those were discussed before he made the deal.
I think his issue is with the age of the tires, and whether the dealer lulled him into a potentially unsafe situation. It sounds to me like they did discuss the tire age, and that the dealer quoted Michelin as saying the tires would be "fine". Might be worth asking for that in writing...

Also:
Regardless of contract terms, it's illegal in most states to knowingly put unsafe equipment on the road, so it seems to me that if the O.P. was able to get an opinion from a Tire Professional on this subject, he might have some leverage with the dealer.

And by "Tire Professional", I mean a live, local person, not just us internet experts... however helpful we may be.

Thank you for accurately summarizing my position. The deal is off. I could not reconcile going thru with it now knowing he could put my family in that and claim it good. There's such a slim chance they were safe. No reasonable person would stand by that claim. It's troubling to consider there are people in business who will knowingly risk the welfare of others just to make a buck.
zr1sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The first line of the OP's thread was "I have contracted to buy".... I believe that is accurate. It sounds to me, that they entered into a contract, and, usually a deposit is required to bind the deal. The poster sounded like he was disclosed to about the problems, generator, retractor springs, etc.

I know that this site is for helping others, and for advice, but I think the poster willingly, bought this vehicle and felt it was worth the price. I ma sure it would not hurt to ask the dealer, or try to renegotiate.

What we all have to remember is, the dealer has the right to stand firm and not do anything. If there is a signed contract, and any money has changed hands, the dealer has the right to enforce the contract. The dealer may or may not want to do that, but in the end, that is his position. I don't think the spirit of these threads should be to cause anyone to do anything against the law.

I think the original poster was satisfied with the deal when he signed papers, and it seems to me he is looking for advice about how to get these things fixed, and how to get them fixed cheaply.
Its interesting to note that once i made it known to them i was aware of the risk of driving the rig with tires of that age he was "eager' to refund my 1000 deposit. Truth be told they didn't want to sell it to me for that price as, apparently, so they claim, they had others interested in buying it at a higher price. Given the overall condition of it that is not outside the realm of truth. However, willingly allowing me to buy this rig with the old tires simply to pad the profit margin is, well, seriously lacking in moral character. How can they not worry something bad could happen? How can they not care?

Regardless, the deal is off. I'm just grateful i was made aware of the risks of good looking tires which belie their age. Thank you all.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Just to be clear..during inspection and negotiations the dealer's take on the rear tires was "they're fine...about 60%"...no mention of age and at the time i was green enough to not consider their age. This is the issue. He goes to the trouble to reveal everything EXCEPT the dangerous tire situation because he knew i would want more off the price and he knew he had others willing to buy it for more. Why would he put us in harm's way? It just doesn't make sense. Disregarding our welfare is one thing...and to a hard-hearted business man i can see how that can be...BUT, he is also opening himself up to potential liability...is it worth the risk? Either way, it gives me the creeps and i cannot do business with them. If anyone wants to know more specifics PM me.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

All is well that ends well.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1sparky View Post
Thank you for accurately summarizing my position. The deal is off. I could not reconcile going thru with it now knowing he could put my family in that and claim it good. There's such a slim chance they were safe. No reasonable person would stand by that claim. It's troubling to consider there are people in business who will knowingly risk the welfare of others just to make a buck.
I think you made the right choice. Don't worry for the 22k you were going to spend you should be able to find something that is both safer and in better condition. Good luck in you search.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Most reputable dealers will put new tires on a rig as you discribe before they try to sell it. They are fully aware of the potential liability of not disclosing the potential danger of 14 yr old tire. You did the right thing by walking away. There are plenty of good rigs out there in your price range. By the way, carbs don't go bad, they just need some cleaner run thru them.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

We just came back from the Pensacola air show and were traveling with four other families. One of them was pulling a 5er that he borrowed from his dad who had just had 4 new tires put on it by a long time friend. the tires were OLD stock (1999 date code) needless to say my buddy had a little trouble with fender well and plumbing in addition to having to buy 4 more tires for his dad's 5er and spending the whole day for a 4&1/2 hour trip. Luckily no one harmed and a tire dealer in Mobile had a better day.
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
If the original owner(s) didn't replace tires for 14 years, I'm betting they also didn't do any other preventive maintenance. You saved yourself a LOT of $$/hassle/anguish/pain/more$$ by walking away, IMHO.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
All is well that ends well.
Yes, i'm grateful. But it's not just about me. That's what's so cool about these forums and you all. I hope to return the favor someday. Pay it forward

That said, still debating what to do about preventing problems for the next poor unsuspecting schlub. Getting the word out is one great way. Before i took the sensible approach and canceled the deal I was considering buying it and painting on the side the name of the dealer and 13 yo tires .... you know, for advertising

Caveat Emptor really ought not apply to one's life and limb.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsheldon View Post
Most reputable dealers will put new tires on a rig as you discribe before they try to sell it. They are fully aware of the potential liability of not disclosing the potential danger of 14 yr old tire. You did the right thing by walking away. There are plenty of good rigs out there in your price range. By the way, carbs don't go bad, they just need some cleaner run thru them.
Sure, i've cleaned and rebuilt small engine carbs before..I looked into getting a rebuild kit for the onan carb but from what i've heard typically rebuilds are unsuccessful on these due to the carb design. Apparently you can't disassemble it adequately to get the cleaner into all the places it needs to get. Come to think of it if gas can get in there then the cleaner solvent can as well. hmmm, anyone had success cleaning their onan genset carbs?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yes, i'm grateful. But it's not just about me. That's what's so cool about these forums and you all. I hope to return the favor someday. Pay it forward

That said, still debating what to do about preventing problems for the next poor unsuspecting schlub. Getting the word out is one great way. Before i took the sensible approach and canceled the deal I was considering buying it and painting on the side the name of the dealer and 13 yo tires .... you know, for advertising

Caveat Emptor really ought not apply to one's life and limb.
You could post the name and location of the dealer. A very large amount of RV'rs and potential RV'rs (I researched for over a year before we bought) read this and other forums. You would at least be informing some about the bad RV. Do kind of a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) type warning.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #38
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
You could post the name and location of the dealer. A very large amount of RV'rs and potential RV'rs (I researched for over a year before we bought) read this and other forums. You would at least be informing some about the bad RV. Do kind of a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) type warning.
Todd

Excellant idea.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Sure, i've cleaned and rebuilt small engine carbs before..I looked into getting a rebuild kit for the onan carb but from what i've heard typically rebuilds are unsuccessful on these due to the carb design. Apparently you can't disassemble it adequately to get the cleaner into all the places it needs to get. Come to think of it if gas can get in there then the cleaner solvent can as well. hmmm, anyone had success cleaning their onan genset carbs?

When I bought mine, the generator had not been used for years and the carb was completely gunked up. I took it apart and cleaned everything with carb spray and hot water. I let the carb cleaner sit in the bowl and other areas for several hours. Then I blew the cleaner through all passages using the can with the small plastic hose and then followed with low pressure compressed air.

Since you have worked on small engine carbs, you should have no problem repairing one of these. You might have to make your own gaskets, but that is a minor problem.

I too am glad you walked away from this one.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #40
Winnebago Watcher

I replaced all 6 tires when I purchased my first motorhome. I expected that from a $20k purchase.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires