Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2024, 03:10 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

No offense to anyone here (including myself ��) that’s probably the best advise on here. lol.
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:26 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

2021 GMC Canyon AT4 3.6L gas engine and 2022 2108DS no issues with power what so ever. I agree though, gas stops are a little more frequent than I would like but not more frequent than I would want to stop for a quick break anyway so only an issue where gas stations are few and far between. My opinion is this is a comfortable towing setup.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 03:11 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I tow my 2100 BH with a 2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost. Not only does it tow my TT rather easily on the highway, over passes and on forest service roads, the Pro Power OnBoard powers everything anywhere. Comfortable and quiet in BLM land.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:37 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

2023 Colorado LT Tow Vehicle

I tow my 2022 2108 TB Micro Minnie with my Colorado easily. The high torque 2.7l engine does a better job than my previous 2014 Ram 1500 with a big V8. The oil and transmission temps stay relatively low and the setup is very stable using my Blue Ox WDH. I get 11-14 mpg when towing. Highly recommended.
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:54 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
I am currently using my 2001 F350 diesel.

I would like to upgrade / downsize to a smaller Ranger or Colorado mid-sized gas powered truck. Do these smallish-engine trucks have the torque and stability to easily tow the Micro on long trips, while returning reasonable mileage?
A lot to consider.. how bad is your interior? Is it paid off?
Can you simply add the smaller truck and keep the F350 until you've made a couple trips with the smaller truck?

I'd spend a small fortune to fix up that irreplaceable non-emission 7.3L so long as its mechanically tip-top; ball joints, tie rods, u-joints, bearings, etc, etc.. The engine and transmission should be relatively bullet-proof.

But, before dropping a lot of money to fix it up, pull the intake tube off of your turbo, are the corners of the impeller blades nice and square, or rounded over?
If they're still sharp and square then your cylinders/rings should be good-to-go. If the corners are rounded then its been sucking dust, time to look for something new.

Northern Nevada? I'm in Southern ID.. don't underestimate the wind vs a smaller truck. The smaller trucks have turbos and 400+ ftlbs with less overall HP.. they might actually pull a little better than my Tundra, but I don't think I'd trade their torque for my stability and cab/bed space. Also, you'd really want to find out if those little turbo'd engines have surplus boost pressure that enables them to make full torque up to at least 5000ft elevations, or if the turbos are just a sea level replacement for displacement? <--- that would make a huge difference in performance around here into the wind and up a hill.

Years ago I pulled lots of heavy stuff with my 2002 F250 7.3L work truck - I would never trade that kind of towing capability/stability and engine power for the better ergos and creature comforts of a new small truck IF my priority was towing. Especially if I already had the Ford and knew it pulled my trailer effortlessly.
Dashunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 01:23 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I tow my 2017 2106FBS with a 2018 Toyota Tacoma Short Box V6.

As mentioned here, the smaller trucks require strategic loading. We have never had a problem climbing hills or coming down and we have some of the steepest here in British Columbia, Canada.

Would a full-size be more comfortable with less need to worry about weight distribution, YES.

In reality, how much towing do you do in a year and how much driving to you do without a trailer. Do the math, with the price of gas going up, does it make sense driving a full size to work and the supermarket regularly.

All midsize trucks are fully capable of towing the 7 foot wide Micro Minnie. The payloads have increased in the last couple years on almost all the new Chevrolet/GMC, Ford and Jeep Mid Size trucks as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230712_094712.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	653.7 KB
ID:	188729  

Tags
tow