Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2024, 05:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2024 Micro Minnie, water tank support was addressed

Many of us 2024 Micro Minnie owners have wondered if Winnebago addressed the lack of good water tank support that was seen in previous years. As the subject says, Winnebago did in fact address the water tank support issue. I accessed the void above the belly membrane fully expecting I was going to add water tank supports. However, what I found was a 5/8" or 3/4" sheet of chipboard under the water tank. As seen in the pictures, it spans the full width of the tank and sits between the two angle iron cross supports.

I don't see any screws securing the sheet in place, but I don't know if they may have used any adhesive between the wood and angle iron. The one thing I saw that concerns me a little is the passenger side edge of the sheet is very close to the protruding part of the tank that has the drain connected to it. If it touches and rubs, it could rub a hole in that part of the tank.

These two pictures are after I dropped the front edge of the belly membrane, and I was looking back at the edge of the water tank. The bottom of the picture is the top of the belly membrane with the foil layer across it. (There's an extra waste strip of belly membrane sitting with the wires. I guess the mfr left it there instead of disposing of it.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8419.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	188941

Name:	IMG_8418.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	188942

The next pictures are different angles showing the sheet of chipboard under the tank. I didn't drop the whole membrane from the front (where I took the first pictures) all the way back to the axles. Instead, I sliced across the membrane just in front of where the water tank is and where the second aluminum support is screwed into a cross member to support the membrane. This is just a few inches in front of the front angle iron that supports the water tank. I was initially thinking I was going to face dropping the membrane to add water tank supports, and I didn't see the point in removing the front section of membrane. So, these pictures are looking through that split part of the membrane.

Name:	IMG_8422.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	188943

Name:	IMG_8421.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	188944

This next one is a tight look at the driver's side of the wood sheet with some wires next to it running fore and aft. This picture and the next also show the angle iron that the sheet of chipboard sits on.

Name:	IMG_8424.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	188945

Name:	IMG_8425.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	188946

And these last pics show how I put things back. I first injected some of the black sealant foam (sticky stuff!), put the two sections of membrane back up in place, ran a 4" wide piece of belly membrane tape over the split in the membrane across the entire 5" span, and then reinstalled the aluminum support strip that's held by 4 self taping screws.

Name:	IMG_8427.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	188947

After injecting the foam on the sides and between the front edge of the belly membrane and metal cross member, I reinstalled the aluminum strip that holds the front edge in place. I also added a layer of the 4" belly tape over that front edge as an added level of insurance. Then I crawled around under the trailer and injected more foam wherever I saw the mfr didn't do a good enough job.

Name:	IMG_8429.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	188948
IdahoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate the insight. Not sure what concerns me more, the cheap short life unsecured chip board, or the wires seemingly laying on the membrane unattached to anything?
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Interesting discovery. Looks like a completely half-assed attempt by the factory, but I suppose that's better than nothing.

I look forward to the marketing spin for this support.
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatSleepWoof View Post
I look forward to the marketing spin for this support.
I doubt Winnebago will make one because then they'd have to admit so many of the previous year's models were done poorly.
IdahoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Nice post IdahoHunter!

... agreeing with the others about the lack of quality.

I'm hoping I will be able to raise my tank that much so I can get something underneath it. I'm thinking a few shorter boards running front-to-back might be easier to insert. If not, I'll have to come up with a different fix - maybe a bolted on support.

Tags
water, tank