Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2024, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Purchase Advise on a Sprinter View/Navion 24V

We recently sold our Journey after 6 years of ownership. Now ready to downsize, and have pretty much decided on a Sprinter “C”. View or Navion 24V are our models of choice. Although other makes are not out of the equation as of now.
Not planning on purchasing new, so looking for advice from Winnebago owners as to any known advantages or problems between the various years that we need to be looking out for. i.e. difference in engines, transmissions, floor plans, options, inherent build problems, etc.
The year ranges we are considering go from 2020 - 2023. Thanks for any input you care to share from your experiences with your Sprinter.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

As a shopping tools and especially if I am not sure what model, I find the interactive parts catalog is great for looking at details we can't see or won't remember!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
When you get close to one and want to look at things to avoid, you will have a bit of experience to let you know about some things to avoid! Also it can be great for sorting out details after you get it in hand!

Some of the things I look at might be as odd as looking at the tank sizes and that may be found in manuals but other things like how the dump valves are arranged and what they use to pull it can be a biggie on the smaller, more compact units.
One I try to avoid is the type which uses a cable like we see on lawnmower throttles? If they go in and turn to make a U-turn to pull the valve open rather than a straight pull, they tend to get bound up/rusty, etc or get loose to cause trouble.
I like a straight short pull!

Also I don't like RV that require a pump to let water drain from one waste tank to the other and then have a pump to pump it up and over to the drain. Extra gizmos often mean extra trouble!

It can also be handy to find those drains on a new RV if you have a picture of the water system! The manual may tell you to open a valve but not tell you exactly where to find that valve!

I takes a bit of playing with the system controls but the more you play, the less you have to work on things like crawling around to look. It lets you "look through walls" to see where things might freeze if too close to the outside?
Lots of links to lots of inof under the owners tab on the Winnebago home page:
https://www.winnebago.com/

Enjoy the trek of shopping! The more we know BEFORE means less trouble later!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Whoops!
I did not mean to do it but it looks like the 2020 Navion may be an example of one I might tend to shy away from on the drain system. Not as bad as some but I tend to try to avoid the pump idea and having an valve handle at a second location.
Maybe a personal bug and not a problem to others but just my idea?
I try to let folks make their own decisions on what bothers them!

Click this snip or go direct for more info!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20 nav.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	188865
Old 05-02-2024, 01:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for insight on dump valves & pump. Of all the RVs we’ve owned all have had the standard pull valve system. Will take note as we shop.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I believe it is the same pump system on the 2021V that we have. So far not an issue for us.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased a 2024 View 24D but liked the bed layout of the 24V and liked that you could use the bed without extending the slideout, but the lack of counter space in the galley and a slightly smaller bathroom on the 24V, swayed us toward the 24D.

One major advantage of the 24V is the extra payload you can carry versus the 24D Occupancy Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) on the 24V is about 300lbs more than the D model IIRC.

Good luck with your search.

David.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The farther you can get from 2020-2022 Winnebago Views the better IMO. I expect that a lot of issues are fixed in the 2023 version, as I know that a lot of issues in the 2019-2021 versions were fixed in our 2022 View 24D.

The quality from 2020-2022 really took a nosedive due to the pandemic and the surge in demand. Winnebago took a lot of shortcuts to rush units out the door. The first owner hopefully addressed most of them, but that's something that I would talk to them closely about.
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

When I mention things like the pump between the two tanks, that is not meant as a total deal killer!
It is meant more as a suggestion to check and know more about what you are dealing with before we buy. We've got a shopping tool if we use it?

What I try to look for is any extra twists, turns, etc. in things like the plumbing that may tend to be more trouble. Not that it won't or can't work for years but when I see the black contents having to go from the tank large opening into a smaller pipe then to the pump and there is a cleanout involved, It gives me reason to wonder about why there is a cleanout?? We don't find cleanouts when the drain is just a big old 4 inch pipe!

Extra items are often more problems. They can be handy and can be assets but if we think of new things like the new remote for our TV, we also need to consider if it is something we really need or want!
Do we really need to be able to change the faces from green to purple or would I rather the TV just make the the right color?

I like simple! But there are times when we each want the extras, even if they are a pain to live with!
Old 05-10-2024, 11:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Greetings,
On our 2016 View 24V the grey tank is behind the rear axle and is emptied by pumping the waste over the rear axle to a Y connection at the dump valve. It is not pumped into the black tank.
We haven't had any issues with this system other than the pain of having to hold the momentary switch for the grey tank pump.
The grey tank does have a low point drain plug as a back up if the pump fails. I replaced the plug with a shut off valve and can connect our 'black tank flush specific' hose to that should the pump fail.
Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour2Lane View Post
Greetings,
On our 2016 View 24V the grey tank is behind the rear axle and is emptied by pumping the waste over the rear axle to a Y connection at the dump valve. It is not pumped into the black tank.
We haven't had any issues with this system other than the pain of having to hold the momentary switch for the grey tank pump.
The grey tank does have a low point drain plug as a back up if the pump fails. I replaced the plug with a shut off valve and can connect our 'black tank flush specific' hose to that should the pump fail.
Regards, Mike
Same setup here. I installed a regular dump valve on mine and use a cap with a garden hose fitting on it so now I can drain gray water thru a graywater garden hose and only need to get the slinky out for the black which is only every 5 days or so. I made up my own but later found out there is a ready made Valterra part used on Airstream trailers that fits perfectly in that spot and gives you a 3" dump valve.

Tags
purchase, view