Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cheap utility trailers to pull behind View

First post - so I'm a noob.
I'll be getting my 21 24V in a few weeks. I'm on the hunt for a utility type trailer to carry bikes and other camping gear that I'd rather not weight down the View with. I have a 14 foot enclosed raft trailer, but that's overkill and a serious hassle at smaller sites. I'm looking for something around 6 feet long. The Space Trailer seems kind of wimpy. The Jeep conversions seem kinda pricey because everyone is trying to do the overland conversion thing.

I'm also thinking that a enclosed trailer might be better for security. The Sundowner Mini Go looks cool, but also pretty pricey.

My plan right now is to scour Craigslist, auctions and junk yards and do a DIY.
I don't know how to weld, but I'm not averse to trying.

Any other ideas or success/failure stories?

Thanks gang.
Loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I remember seeing some trailers at lowes/home depot just dont remember which it was or types they had. I think harbor freight still might have some open frame types that could be enclosed pretty easily if you have some DIY ability. Dont stop on just the local craigslist expand you search, might be a good excuse for a quicky trip?

Have fun

here is one on local Cl: $900 next cheapest is one from lowes and its $1500 and is same style.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=utilty%20trailer Frames to DIY
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I’ve wanted to do the same for maybe a scooter and other outdoor gear when we don’t tow a car. I’ve seen a nice 4x6 at Lowes for under $1000 in our area. That seems like a good size to be able to move around easily when parked. Not sure if I’d worry about enclosing it totally maybe just a front shield to protect from road grime.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a Harbor Freight trailer which is a good option for occasional trips to the store or dump but, for longer hauls, I'd go for a Lowes or Home Depot trailer. I'd also look for something with tires larger than 12".

I wouldn't worry about enclosing it but I'd probably add a locked toolbox.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:00 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer and contents combined should be ~4,000 lbs or less. So choose wisely. Pay attention to wheel size, tire load and brakes.

Cheaping out on a trailer can lead to massive headaches down the road.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tips guys.
I thought for sure I was going to be welcomed with a lecture on hitch weight.
That does make me wonder if I should use a double-axle to limit that.

It seems like FB Marketplace is the new CL. Lots of good options there for around $1K.

I agree that enclosed is not required and a welded lockbox is fine.
It just might be simpler if I find each at similar prices.

As I was driving behind a rental U-Haul trailer yesterday, I thought, "Where do they get rid of their old ones?" Auctions.... I have a friend who picked up one cheap from an auction at CU (Go Buffs).
Old 03-22-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

When I was shopping for a light utility trailer, Tractor Supply Company (TSC) seemed to have the sturdist traiIers for the price. Mine also came with bearing buddies, which some of the trailers at other stores didn't have.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Check your state's weight limits for requiring trailer braking systems. 3,000# gross is typical but some are higher while others are lower. Idaho, for example is 1,500#. My understanding is that the state in which your trailer is licensed will prevail if you go into a state with a lower threshold:

https://www.ameratrail.com/assets/tr...brakes-law.pdf

Rather that rely 100% on the above, check with your state's DMV to be sure.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

That's a good point. Does the View have a built in brake controller? I have a dash mounted one for my 12 Tundra when I pulled a Jayco travel trailer.

But I don't plan on pulling more than 1500 + trailer.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The View/Navion twins do not have a built-in brake controller. I added a Tekonsha controller to my truck hen I had a travel trailer--easy to install and very effective. My Ram 2500 came with an OEM controller when I had my fifth wheel. But those would not be needed with a used UHaul because they use surge brakes that are applied automatically when the tow vehicle slows or stops.

Another possible source for a DIY trailer is Northern Tool. Likely better quality than Harbor Freight. And they may have free shipping (?).
Old 03-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Check your local Uhaul. They sell their trailers after a couple years.

Tags
view