Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2024, 01:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Soft Start and Basement AC?

Hello,
I have a 2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y diesel pusher with a single basement AC unit. I am looking for insight or thoughts regarding whether the new plug in softstart will have any benefit helping to run/reduce the draw of my AC unit when I only have 30AMP access in a campground. The unit draws about 22-24 Amps when running on 50 AMP shorepower.

The fridge draws about 3-4 AMPs, water heater between 4-11.

Will I be able to run much else on 30 AMPs if I run the AC?

Thanks
Brian
Old 05-09-2024, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

By "Plug in soft-start" do you mean the new product being advertised that you plug into your power pedestal at your campsite?

If yes, then I've yet to see anyone comment on this products effectiveness.

Regardless of what soft-start you end up with you will not be able to run your water heater on electric when on 30-amp along with your fridge and your A/C. You need to set the water heater to LP when on 30-amp because it uses far too many amps.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

What I'd like to get out of miy new Soft Start (if it ever arrives)

Ordered my plug in Soft Start a few weeks ago. Delivery is VERY slow. I am anxious to try it and see if it does all as advertised.

My goal is to see it run 2 heat pumps and at least the residential fridge. I know thats a stretch but I'd like to get the coffee pot as an added load benefit. Based on experience that should be about 27-28 amps. Then I'd like to see what else can be run with it???

Delivery email this morning now puts delivery off even longer until June 7 ??????????
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Ordered my plug in Soft Start a few weeks ago. Delivery is VERY slow. I am anxious to try it and see if it does all as advertised.

My goal is to see it run 2 heat pumps and at least the residential fridge. I know thats a stretch but I'd like to get the coffee pot as an added load benefit. Based on experience that should be about 27-28 amps. Then I'd like to see what else can be run with it???

Delivery email this morning now puts delivery off even longer until June 7 ??????????
Really curious to see what you're findings are once you've had a chance to toy with it. Keep us posted
Old 05-10-2024, 02:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Will do- I am a bit worried it may not do any more than the existing power Management System in the rig????
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Don't get your hopes up. You will not be able to power much more than lighting and your RVP basement unit. Winnebago MH's have an EMS that will cut power to appliances to keep from tripping the 30A breaker. A soft-start unit will not decrease running amps. There is an excellent explanation of why and how a soft-start unit functions here: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f260/did-you-see-the-ad-for-the-external-soft-start-368258.html Post #9.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 03:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you have a Coleman Mach basement heatpump, my '02 Journey has one and it came with soft start for the 2 compressors. Your rig is 8 years younger and likely came with soft start but is old enough that you might need to replace all the motor and compressor caps and when you look up the part numbers on the caps, that will lead you to soft start types.

The compressor caps with soft start devices plugged in the top of the cap were 88-108 MFD 165 VAC w/starters 833ZA9021. They are under the heatpumps control circuit cover. Those starters do go bad too but given the age of your heatpump, it's about time to replace all the caps. Ad free blog article here: Heatpump...

BTW, soft start doesn't change the run current and yours seems pretty high. But if they are Tecumseh compressors, that would account for it I suspect. My new(er) Coleman Mach (circa 2020) heatpump was labeled 'High efficiency' and draws around 17 amps for one compressor. I seem to remember my old Coleman Mach (circa 2002) compressors drawing 22 amps.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:43 PM   #8
Era '18

I've loved my Coleman basement heat pump for over 16 years (2008 Voyage 33V). No maintenance and works well and quietly. 115 degree temps and parked in full sun it could only cool it to 88, but I thought that was good while sitting in a hot tin box. Anyway, setting the fan speed to Low (instead of Hi) prevented the 2nd compressor from kicking in so there was enough for the lights and fridge on 30 amps, but had to use propane for the water heater. Setting the fan speed on Hi would cause the 2nd compressor to eventually start but the power management system turned off the water heater plus the fridge (which I kept on Auto AC/Gas anyway). Need hairdryer or microwave... start the generator.
N1ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ven View Post
I've loved my Coleman basement heat pump for over 16 years (2008 Voyage 33V). No maintenance and works well and quietly. 115 degree temps and parked in full sun it could only cool it to 88, but I thought that was good while sitting in a hot tin box. Anyway, setting the fan speed to Low (instead of Hi) prevented the 2nd compressor from kicking in so there was enough for the lights and fridge on 30 amps, but had to use propane for the water heater. Setting the fan speed on Hi would cause the 2nd compressor to eventually start but the power management system turned off the water heater plus the fridge (which I kept on Auto AC/Gas anyway). Need hairdryer or microwave... start the generator.
Thanks. Good info for me. I have only run the fan on low a few times and did not notice the draw, tho I will now.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

When I'm stuck with a pedestal that has 30 amp and 20 amp only I shut off the a/c comp 2 breaker then a/c runs fine on comp 1. It won't get me much more than 10 degrees below outside air but it's usable.
Everything except the micro wave and coffee pot work fine and for that I run an extension cord from the 20 amp outlet in through the window to power the microwave or expresso machine.
Soft start will probably not let you run both compressor one and two at the same time on 30 amp.
dickb
Old 05-16-2024, 09:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
When I'm stuck with a pedestal that has 30 amp and 20 amp only I shut off the a/c comp 2 breaker then a/c runs fine on comp 1. It won't get me much more than 10 degrees below outside air but it's usable.
Everything except the micro wave and coffee pot work fine and for that I run an extension cord from the 20 amp outlet in through the window to power the microwave or expresso machine.
Soft start will probably not let you run both compressor one and two at the same time on 30 amp.
dickb
Thanks. That’s creative. I’ll tuck that away.
Brian
Old 05-18-2024, 12:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
If you have a Coleman Mach basement heatpump, my '02 Journey has one and it came with soft start for the 2 compressors. Your rig is 8 years younger and likely came with soft start but is old enough that you might need to replace all the motor and compressor caps and when you look up the part numbers on the caps, that will lead you to soft start types.

The compressor caps with soft start devices plugged in the top of the cap were 88-108 MFD 165 VAC w/starters 833ZA9021. They are under the heatpumps control circuit cover. Those starters do go bad too but given the age of your heatpump, it's about time to replace all the caps. Ad free blog article here: Heatpump...

BTW, soft start doesn't change the run current and yours seems pretty high. But if they are Tecumseh compressors, that would account for it I suspect. My new(er) Coleman Mach (circa 2020) heatpump was labeled 'High efficiency' and draws around 17 amps for one compressor. I seem to remember my old Coleman Mach (circa 2002) compressors drawing 22 amps.
My 1999yr 6535 came with hard-start- PCTR devices on the start caps.
As to run amps, the OEM #1 compressor motor draws 14A when running, when #2 turns on total amp load goes to 26-28A depending on outside temp and humidity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote