Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Running HDMI cables '05 Itasca Suncruiser

We have a 2005 Itasca Suncruisier (37F) and we are re-working the TV systems. We will have the Dish Tailgater receiver installed in the cabinet over the drivers seat as that is where the outside cable has been run. We have removed the up front TV and are upgrading the middle coach TV with a newer, LCD version. This TV only supports HDMI inputs. Has anyone run new HDMI cables from the front of the coach to the mid or rear TV's? How did you do it?

I am also looking at wireless but they are expensive and not always reliable.

Thanks!
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It may be cheaper to look into a second reciever for the rear TV , as HDMI cables , price goes up as per length. Running an HDMI cable ; with the large size of the connector , even through the attic space could be a real PITA.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you need HDMI cables, check out Monoprice.com. Top quality, very low prices.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Agree with above, monoprice is great. Cable lengths over 30' need to be checked for proper function before install. An alternative is that two CAT5e cables can take the place of HDMI (use adapters) for much longer runs of cable. They're also easier to cable....

Remember you can't divide HDMI - meaning you can't split it without processors (special boxes). You can divide component (analog) signals that go up to 1080i.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks... I would prefer not to run cables but the wireless route can get expensive.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Agree with above, monoprice is great. Cable lengths over 30' need to be checked for proper function before install. An alternative is that two CAT5e cables can take the place of HDMI (use adapters) for much longer runs of cable. They're also easier to cable....

Remember you can't divide HDMI - meaning you can't split it without processors (special boxes). You can divide component (analog) signals that go up to 1080i.
Thanks for the info. I may also need to look into a modern KVM to handle the various options.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I replaced all three TVs in my Ellipse 40FD and ran HDMI cables throughout the coach to all three. A single DirecTv receiver feeds all three sets and we use three DirecTv remots in the RF mode. Works great.

My receiver is located mid ship. Just a short HDMI cable to the mid ship 37", and another short HDMI run down through the slide floor to the 26" in the outdoor entertainment center.

The 50' cable run to the bedroom set was the tricky one. I went down through the floor in the slide out... attached the cable to the wire track on the slide and then used tie wraps to secure it to other cables running toward the back of the coach on the under carriage. I drilled into the back wall of a storage bay just under my hot water heater. I was able to feed the cable from the bay up through a wire passage into the hot water heater compartment inside the coach. From there, it was easy to fish it through the wall... up behind the drawers of our bedroom dresser... and to the bedroom TV set.

With this arrangement, we cannot watch different DirecTv programs on different sets, but we never watch different programs so this doesn't bother us.

I use two 1X2 HDMI powered splitters. A single HDMI cable runs from the receiver to the first splitter. Two cables exit the splitter... one to the living room TV and one to the second splitter. The two cables coming from the second splitter feed the other two sets.

You learn a LOT about your coach when you have to run a 50' HDMI cable.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I replaced all three TVs in my Ellipse 40FD and ran HDMI cables throughout the coach to all three. A single DirecTv receiver feeds all three sets and we use three DirecTv remots in the RF mode. Works great.

My receiver is located mid ship. Just a short HDMI cable to the mid ship 37", and another short HDMI run down through the slide floor to the 26" in the outdoor entertainment center.

The 50' cable run to the bedroom set was the tricky one. I went down through the floor in the slide out... attached the cable to the wire track on the slide and then used tie wraps to secure it to other cables running toward the back of the coach on the under carriage. I drilled into the back wall of a storage bay just under my hot water heater. I was able to feed the cable from the bay up through a wire passage into the hot water heater compartment inside the coach. From there, it was easy to fish it through the wall... up behind the drawers of our bedroom dresser... and to the bedroom TV set.

With this arrangement, we cannot watch different DirecTv programs on different sets, but we never watch different programs so this doesn't bother us.

I use two 1X2 HDMI powered splitters. A single HDMI cable runs from the receiver to the first splitter. Two cables exit the splitter... one to the living room TV and one to the second splitter. The two cables coming from the second splitter feed the other two sets.

You learn a LOT about your coach when you have to run a 50' HDMI cable.

Best of luck.

Rick
Thanks for the Feedback Rick,
Old 05-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Thanks for the info. I may also need to look into a modern KVM to handle the various options.
Monoprice has good HDMI switching (splitting) systems at very reasonable prices.

Here's the key though - HDMI is digital and as a protocol it can be skittish. Whatever you buy, lay it out, and test it before putting it in the walls. Different hardware can have different compatibility issues that you cant "figure out" in front of trying it...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My 2013 has an hdmi converter to cat5cable, then after the 20' run, another's converter converts the cat5 cable back to a short hdmi cable that goes to the tv. Might work for you as well....Jim
jncSiightsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #11

I saw this article about upgrading your RV video system at DIY RV. I dont really understand, but it sounds kind of like what you are trying to do.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Down I-25 from you in Colorado Springs area! Doing similar upgrades/modifications on the outdated AV system in our '07 Journey. Just replaced the OEM DVD/surround sound system receiver with a Marantz NR1402 AV receiver that provided four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output (easily split for multiple TVs). The receiver is just a little taller than the one installed at the factory; however, it's three times heavier--primarily because of construction and features. Also added Sony Blue Ray to left side overhead below Dish HDMI receiver. Will be eliminating front TV in present location and mounting across from couch/bed to wall behind passenger captain chair. Since a large window is on this wall, the replacement LED/LCD flat screen will be mounted on either a swing-down (ceiling mount) or push-up (wall-mount cabinet under window). Like you, trying to eliminate coax and upgrade sound/picture quality on front, bedroom and exterior TVs. I know you mentioned wireless as a consideration, but were concerned about cost. Have used wireless PC-to-TV already in coach so we can watch Dish programming off our DVR at home or "live" from the road. This precludes setting up the satellite dish, etc. Also looking at IOGear wireless HD video/audio via HDMI--see The Best Wireless HDMI Video Transmitter Is the IOGear Wireless HD Digital Kit (GW3DHDKIT) | The Wirecutter for more detail. Cost shown in article is $180.00, but have found it cheaper in on-line searches. Range is touted as 100 feet so it would work for rear as well as exterior viewing. Anyway, lots of options that don't necessarily involve running new wire. Also agree with other posts regarding Cat5e/Cat6 homeruns with HDMI converters on each end. Would be much cheaper and plenum-rated cable is pretty tough insofar as pulling from point A to point B. I would not recommend using existing coax as a pull guide. A friend tried that in his Monaco and the new cable separated from the coax! Needless to say, he no longer had TV in his rear suite! We installed a wireless solution.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If your new TV has input for component cables you can run component cables instead of HDMI. HDMI and component cables do the same work for HD.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The cable from your antenna to the receiver is not HDMI, so, it seems to me, it might be easier to relocate the receiver instead of having long runs of HDMI.

Just sayin'
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again for all the feedback. Yo have given me lots of good ideas.

Tags
itasca, suncruiser