Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2024, 02:17 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Agree on the price Jim, but Bouge RV has them on sale right now for 30pct off and Amazon has them for $450 ish. Agree higher price, but easy install and like you said, you can walk on them. To that point, any idea how to - or how easy, the cigs are to un-install ? If i change trailers.
My thinking on the cigs for a portable is to cut a 2x7ft piece of 1/4 plywood and either lay on the floor of the forward storage, or a simple way to affix it to the ceiling of the storage area, ie out of the way. My biggest plus is you can roll it up and the cigs takes very little room. A few plastic spring clips and 2 hinged arms for the ply wood and that shoild do it and could also lay it on the roof vs put it away during the day when im gone. Will think that one over and also look at bifacial folders. Agree on the seperate victron for the portable. If i went for 4 x 200 cigs on the roof, would the victron 150 /70 be sufficient? Will probably do 2 x 200 ah lifepo. Means im probably going with a 12v fridge and newer trailer. As mentioned earlier, mostly doing this for October camping in northern. Mich or Min. I have a honda 2000 jic.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

If you’re doing 4 panels on the roof, probably be best to go S/P. Making 2 pairs in serial, and wiring the series arrays in parallel. This limits the voltage of the array to the voltage of a single series pair. And the amperage will be the amperage sum of two panels. If you buy CIGS with two sided tape, they cannot be removed. CIGS are also available with grommets instead of tape. If you want to be able to remove the CIGS, you’ll need to use the RV with Tito method. But FYI, when I sold my Micro Minnie, I got back every penny of what I spent on the CIGS. Buyer knew what they were, and wanted them. Mounting to corrugated plastic is the way to go, I think. I’m looking to place an order for a pop-up truck camper very soon. My plan is to use RV with Tito method to mount 400w of fiberglass flex panels on the roof, and have a 200w Ecoflow bifacial portable. Both sets of panels connected to my Ecoflow powerstation, so no Victron needed.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:44 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Was wondering if these should be wired in series, being that damage and shading dont seem to impact cigs as much as others if partially shaded. So yes would look to pair up in series and group in parallel.
BTW, I stand corrected on the 30 pct off. Fine print says 15 on the cigs. Amazon does better at $465 each for 200w. Still pricy.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:11 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Initially, I wired 3x 100w in series. Then switched to parallel because I was planning to add a fourth panel. Voc on the 100w panel is over 30v, so 4x 100 series would have put me over the limit for my 100/30 controller. Therefore needing to wire S/P. I really didn’t notice a difference in array output by going to parallel.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:09 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

More great info Jim. I was using Vmp not Voc. Interestingly noted the 200w cigs are 30voc but fiberglass 200w is 20voc.?
I just picked up the Victron 100/50 and planned to run 3 x200 from that and a seperate controller for a portable panel.

Tags
solar, panel, solar panel