Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear storage layout 32J Cambria

We bought a 2014 32J Itasca Cambria last June since then we have traveled from our home in Ontario across to the Rockies meandering back across the prairies last Summer and have just returned from three months stationary camped In Port Aransas Texas. Came home a week ago and are now into our second week of isolation. Love the rig keeping in mind that all is a compromise having previously owned a Cougar 5th wheel.
I am interested to know if other owners of these models have reorganized the very large rear storage areas. It is a great big space but I am not sure how to use it best. I have never hit my head as many times in any vehicle as I have reaching in to and out of that space. There must be a better way to organize it.
Cheers and all be well
RV Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I put foam pipe insulation on that sharp edge. I still bump it but at least it doesn't cut my bald head.
I found if I use storage containers & but them in a row of 2 going length wise works if best. They seem to not move around if they can stack one on the other. Use ones that have a snaps on the lids. Smaller items can be stored under the table. That's why I use storage containers, they are easier to sit out when you have to get at something in the back or under the table . On the drivers side I use smaller storage boxes. Of course hose are stored in the on each side in the very back. I use small pails to store bottles of cleaner & etc. A cat liter pail works great. The big door on the passenger side is where we keep dirty clothed in a handy box ,we have cans of soda & beer in another container . Some things can be stored along side the spare tire. Longer stuff say brooms & etc can be stored in back of tire.
That bedroom slide is another head banger. I haven't found anything that really works . That will stay on in the wind without leaving a sticky residue on the surface. The door wants to bang in to the slideout, so I used a small piece of foam insulation strip on the slideout edge.
I use a dowel rod to hold the storage compartment door under the slideout open when working in it.
The wife complained that the trunk smell was coming into the bedroom when the trunk heated up on hot days. So I sealed it up with some car window insulation. Remember that is used to help heat the trunk. So I use a light bulb for warming if I am in doubt. There is a heat duct that goes back to the water inlet & faucet.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Trunk storage and head banging!

Hi Dave
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Well I don't feel like such a klutz knowing that I am not the only head banger.
I have been using bigger packing boxes I think your right smaller ones may work better. The only difference we have is that my Cambria did not come with the table which makes for a deeper but lower storage area. I will get a table and give it a try see if that makes it easier by raising the floor level.
Do you find it difficult getting items out from under the table?
Thanks again. Stay well!
David.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

David
To get at things under the table you do have take everything off of it. But it does give a flat surface for things to sit on.
I wish I would have bought totes to fit my needs. I just used what I had. Some were my wife's with crafts. But it does work out.
We live in the RV about 5 months out of year. Mine is a 27K. Seating is a problem. I had cushions made to go on the cab seats. Turning those seats around & using them has caused a problem 2 years in a row. The air bag light comes on! Last year it was under warranty so I took it to a dealer for repair. It has to do with the driver's seat belt. The wiring is not pulled nor is it pinched. Power is not to it when it's just sitting there. The control panel is under the driver's seat. I haven't looked into what the problem is yet. But the air bags will not work if the alarm is in. My son in-law is a Ford mechanic so when this virus thing gets over, he can analyze it.
You stay well too
Dave
Old 03-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Rear Storage Itasca Cambria

Thanks Dave for your advise.
I am afraid I have not had issues with the airbag lights coming on. We did swing our chairs around for the three months we were camped in Texas this past winter. But no problem
All the best
David

Tags
storage