Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2024, 05:19 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Replacing AGM Batteries 2014 Itasca Meridian 34B

Doing some research prior to purchasing replacement batteries for my 2014 Itasca Meridian. It currently has six Group 31 Napa AGM batteries in it. I believe these are the original batteries. I have two possible replacements; Sam's Club sells a Duracell AGM Marine & RV battery. The challenge is finding 6 of them in one location with similar dates. The second option is a Renogy AGM. The only odd thing is that Renogy says you cannot put more than 4 in parallel. I will be calling them tomorrow to see if they can tell me why they have that restriction.

I have considered going with LiFePo, however, that would require upgrading the inverter/charger and the alternator charging circuit. I don't think I am ready for that kind of outlay yet.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No big better ideas here but I might lean toward checking the specs pretty close on any battery used as a start battery for marine. I don't know but look at it as they are sometimes a hybrid that falls halfway between being good for the high surge for starting and also somewhat deeper cycle.
Some better than others but when wanting deep cycle, it can be better to go with the plain deep cycle and not the hybrid as you may get far more total amps hours??
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:18 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
No big better ideas here but I might lean toward checking the specs pretty close on any battery used as a start battery for marine. I don't know but look at it as they are sometimes a hybrid that falls halfway between being good for the high surge for starting and also somewhat deeper cycle.
Some better than others but when wanting deep cycle, it can be better to go with the plain deep cycle and not the hybrid as you may get far more total amps hours??
The biggest problem I am running into is that most if not all Group 31 batteries are hybrids. I suspect it may have to do with the size designation. The Renogy is the only one I have found so far that claims to only be a deep cycle. The batteries in that general size range are all 100ah plus or minus about 10 amps.

Aaron
Old 04-29-2024, 09:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Don't know if any of this will be useful, but here's a thread I started regarding replacing the batteries on our 2016 ERA. It talks about the challenges, the brand of replacement batteries we bought, etc.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ns-364706.html
Old 04-30-2024, 07:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Did your MH come from the factory with 6 12V house batteries or is it a conversion from a 6 6V battery bank?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

VMAXTANKS batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did your MH come from the factory with 6 12V house batteries or is it a conversion from a 6 6V battery bank?
Not sure if you're responding to my post re: replacing the batteries in our ERA. It has a pair of 12V batteries in the back, under the chassis behind the rear wheels. I replaced the original 105AH NAPA batteries with a pair of 125AH VMAXTANKS batteries which were recommended in various threads I perused. So far so good, 1.5 years later.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/
Old 04-30-2024, 11:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
Not sure if you're responding to my post re: replacing the batteries in our ERA. It has a pair of 12V batteries in the back, under the chassis behind the rear wheels. I replaced the original 105AH NAPA batteries with a pair of 125AH VMAXTANKS batteries which were recommended in various threads I perused. So far so good, 1.5 years later.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/
No, I was asking wanoonc about his battery bank configuration. I've never seen a 6-count 12V battery bank in a MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:11 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No, I was asking wanoonc about his battery bank configuration. I've never seen a 6-count 12V battery bank in a MH.
It came from the factory that way. It was an upgrade if the residential refrigerator was installed. They went with a larger inverter and added 2 more batteries. Base inverter was 2000 watt, they upped it to 2800 watts.

Aaron
Old 05-01-2024, 05:56 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

In my six 12V battery set up we went with Lifeline 31s which are normally ~ 105 amps each. There's also a 31T (tall) that's ~ 125 amps. The 31T (if it fits) gives you the option of using fewer batteries to meet your OEM amp hour capacity. Also helps with the package price.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #10
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

I just replaced all six of my deep cycle batteries in my 2016 journey. I bought my Duracell batteries from Batteries +Bulbs.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:12 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC View Post
I just replaced all six of my deep cycle batteries in my 2016 journey. I bought my Duracell batteries from Batteries +Bulbs.
Thanks. I called my local one and he only had 3 in the shop. When I asked about ordering 6 to get similar production dates they started making excuses. The ones they had in the shop were almost a year old.

I am leaning towards the VMAXTANKS they are the only true deep cycle battery I have been able to get full specs on that will allow more than 4 to be hooked up in a parallel.

Aaron
Old 05-15-2024, 08:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Just replaced the 2 original NAPA flooded batteries in our 2017 Minnie Winnie 31D with Interstate Batteries Group Size 24M-AGM batteries purchased at Costco for $196.99 ea. I look forward to not having to monitor water levels in the original batteries and hopefully a bit more capacity for on the road use of the 12 volt electronics in between campgrounds. Was pleased that the original batteries lasted 7 camping seasons. My RV is stored inside during the winter and I have no way to keep a battery minder on it so the batteries went through MN winters inside.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We got our at Sam's Club 5 years ago and they were 154.00 each, they are now 214.32 each but at the time was the best deal around
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
We got our at Sam's Club 5 years ago and they were 154.00 each, they are now 214.32 each but at the time was the best deal around
I have been looking at those. I think I will be going with VMAXTANKS they are a true deep cycle with a few more AH per unit for about $50 a battery more.

Aaron

Tags
batteries, itasca