Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I need to remove the rear TV to take it in for repair after our lightning strike last weekend. It works fine, but has some discolored spots on the screen. My repair guy says the "automatic de-gauzing circuit" is probably blown. Can anyone tell me how to get it out?? I don't see any obvious screws to remove to get the moulding off like there are around the front TV...
Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I need to remove the rear TV to take it in for repair after our lightning strike last weekend. It works fine, but has some discolored spots on the screen. My repair guy says the "automatic de-gauzing circuit" is probably blown. Can anyone tell me how to get it out?? I don't see any obvious screws to remove to get the moulding off like there are around the front TV...
Old 01-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My Journey has a GE TV in the bedroom ...

Mine is held in place by a metal band over the top ... there are nuts on the bottom to loosen the band ... I have never had the TV out ... but I read somewhere if you loosen the band then you can remove the band
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Paul,
I just looked at mine in our UA 40J. There are screws underneath in the wood panel and 4 screws with those wood plugs around the front. Mine is located in the corner on the left front (driver's side) of the bedroom. Don't know if your 40E is the same.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

SkiGramp is correct. Loosen the bolts on the bottom of the shelf. Loosen them 6 or 8 turns or enough to allow the TV to slide loose from the band. There is a rubber gasket under the band that may cause the band to stick to the TV. Work the band loose and lift the TV out. Do not take the nuts totally off. You need two people. When the TV is out the second person should be able to disconnect the antenna cable and unplug the power. If you have external speakers there will be an 8mm audio plug.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you're removing the TV you may want to consider replacing it with an LCD TV. Much lighter, and much better picture. Not to mention the old NTSC TV supposedly will be obsoltete in two years as the stations will stop broadcasting in analog. The new TV's will have HD (ATSC) tuners in them which will receive the new digital HD broadcasts.

I replaced my TV and mounted the LCD on the wall and converted the TV space into additional storage shelves.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Paul - the degaussing circuit is a loop of wire around perimeter of the front of the picture tube. When the TV is first turned on, a current is sent through coil for a few seconds which demagnetizes the tube.

It might be hard to find, but TV repairman use a portable degausser that they can use to wave in front of the tube to manually demagnetize it - you could do this every time after you move the coach if you don't want to fool with changing the TV.

I agree with Roadking - forget a direct CRT-type replacement and go with an LCD. I replaced my bedroom TV with a Sharp LCD - pictures on our web site under the RV section.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Got it out late last night after we got home from sitting the grandkids at our son's. There is a light weight panel under the cabinet that comes out with removal of some very small screws. The panel has a halogen lamp in it just like the lamps in from of our closet, and in a few of the reading lamp positions up front. Behind the panel I found two large screws. I loosened them a little and found I could slide the TV right out. Getting it back in will probably be a little more difficult, but doable. It is a 19" mounted in an upper corner cabinet on the driver's side with bathroom medicine cabinet on the other side of the divider wall.

I have thought of replacement with an LCD and using the cabinet behind for video storage. If the TV were shot I would probably look seriously at doing that. I'm not really inclined that direction at this point since it may be easily repairable and I have a bunch of other things to take care of before leaving town next Thursday.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

What do those of us with older TVs, what are we supposed to do? I see no reason to replace something that works and has a good picture. Sounds like wasting money to me.

Nick, Journey '01