Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Dear Morich:

Since you burned up one meter you may want to try this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I has two voltmeters so you could see both chassis and house battery at same time. If you powered the 'Main' voltmeter from ignition battery it would turn on and off both meters with your ignition. I bought this in November but never got around to installting it. I was planning on using the same radio power switch you started with so I have read your thread with interest. I will post again if I ever get around to installing the meter.

Considering all the helpful posts you have supplied in the past I hope the forum can solve your problem.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Actually this is a very good find on the meter due to my dislike of adding things that look "added"! It reads like it should fit the hole that currently has a blank faceplate in it now. But then, that involves some leeway for what the seller considers "standard" versus what we use in the US as "standard" holes in the dash! Actually not sure I would know there is a standard hole and the way they describe the bit size makes me wonder a bit if they think they can drill a rectangular hole?
But other than the wondering how the details might work out, it seems a very good thought to fit one in my dash. Price and simple operation look good but I'm still looking for that "easy" way to mount it and may go with running wire from the battery rack by the door. Just dragging my feet as it has gotten more difficult than expected. Looooked so simple to just pick both start and coach battery off the switch right next to where I wanted to mount the meter---not 6-8 feet away and crawling around underneath to run wire!
In theory, it would be simple to wire at the door where the batteries are but that shoots down wanting to actually see the start battery, coach battery and then as the engine comes alive, see the two come up as the solenoid connects them together.
Always getting that feeling I want something just out of reach!!!
I did go out today and got a new set of wire strippers, though. Home Depot around here is so packed that I'm almost afraid to go in but they do have online order and pickup, so I took the risk, even though both my wife and I are prime suspects for the virus. Boys do have to have new toys when they stay home this much!
Thanks for the headsup idea.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

There is a blank switch with a cover just to the left of my steering column and it looks like the dual meter would slide right in and lock with the plastic latches on the side. I hope you are not correct with it being non-US standard dimensions. The guy that helps his old geezer friend (me) with this type of wiring got hit by a car and had shoulder and knee surgery so I have not tried it yet. RV is parked anyway. Still going to try to go to Mt. Rushmore in middle June.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Just did a quick check of the opening on my 2015 Vista and find it is just a bit off that size. Top to bottom I get close to a.80 inch and wide of .88 so the height seems to be a bit like a 1/3 inch (.34"?) too tall for hiding the hole. Then there is some thought that the lip might cover the hole well enough but since the "fingers" that flip out are on top and bottom on my existing hole cover, if they are the same on the meter, it would make it difficult to snap it in well.
One of those little details to check but I might go with it as a pretty nice looking fit and then work to figure a way to center it in the hole and possibly silicone, etc. to hold it???
Looking closer and doing some cross reference to get their height of 45 mm to inches, I see the outside dimensions of the faceplate being as being 1.77+ inch so my measurement of 1.8 gets real close but looking at their drawing, the fingers to hold do look like they are on top and bottom, so maybe a bit interesting to mount? The .03 inch is not a real big space, is it? I would never know the difference except for having a digital micrometer! Doubt that much of my cutting ever gets so close, for sure.

Favorite part of the trip from here to Southwest Missouri is a stop along the Arkansas River on the West side of Little Rock. Looking forward to getting back there someday but not for now. Going to wait and see how it plays when fall comes back around as we have not yet hit the peak here.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, radio, switch