Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello everyone looking for help
Bought used sunova 30B, found out missing 300watt invert and video selector switch. Recently tried to run Tv off an aftermarket inverter plugged into DC outlet above passenger seat but warning alarm sounded. I think the converter maybe bad. Everything works find with the generator on.

Possible solution, install four Trojans under entrance step, change converter to intel power 9245 with smart charger.

Anyone have any other ideas? We do alot of beach camping and boondocking, I think a 2000 watt inverter is out of my reach cost, so any other thoughts welcome
artyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello everyone looking for help
Bought used sunova 30B, found out missing 300watt invert and video selector switch. Recently tried to run Tv off an aftermarket inverter plugged into DC outlet above passenger seat but warning alarm sounded. I think the converter maybe bad. Everything works find with the generator on.

Possible solution, install four Trojans under entrance step, change converter to intel power 9245 with smart charger.

Anyone have any other ideas? We do alot of beach camping and boondocking, I think a 2000 watt inverter is out of my reach cost, so any other thoughts welcome
Old 01-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would suggest that you call Winnebago to find out what size inverter was originally with your coach. I would guess 300-600 watt inverter. They can tell you how it was hooked into your system.

Then go out and buy a good 600 watt or so inverter and install it, hopefully in its original position, as all the wiring should be there. Make sure the dc wiring is adequate for the inverter you buy -- in other words, if the unit came with a 600 watt inverter, you cannot use the same battery (dc) wiring to install a 2000 watt inverter (nor would it fit as it is physically much larger -- I would guess the original installation position was up in the overhead cabinet next to the TV). Stick to the original size if its enough watts for you.

Check out Xantrex as a good brand.

You really don't need a lot of watts for boondocking -- only to run the Tv's. Everything else works fine on battery.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the input, looking for some more ideas.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Brad:

Welcome to the forum . I'm no expert and there are several who may weigh in with other suggestions. I agree with Don, you can run your TV with an inverter that won't break the bank...600 watt or so.

If you boondock much, you are correct that good batteries will be a good investment. The 6 volt golf car batteries wired in series will generally do better than 12V lead/acid 'RV/Marine' batteries. If you've got the room, four 6V batteries should outlast two 12V batteries. I understand Trojans are great but Sam's Club has another brand that may cost a bit less.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

smlranger,
Appreciate the advice, I going to measure for the trojans t105s hopefully i can get four in there. I saw a picture of a winne sightseer with four 6v and one 12v but they didn't say what the 12v was. Any idea?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The single 12v is the battery for the chassis.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by artyusmc:
--snip-- Recently tried to run Tv off an aftermarket inverter plugged into DC outlet above passenger seat but warning alarm sounded. I think the converter maybe bad. Everything works find with the generator on.
--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What warning alarm sounded?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

John,

The small inverter I had bought, had a warning alarm for low voltage when plugged into the DC outlet above the passanger seat. The alarm souned after I turned the television on.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Okay - low voltage at the inverter then. I would do the same test (use the inverter with a pretty good load) and measure the DC voltage at the inverter and then measure right on the lead battery posts themselves (not the cable or cable end.)

Let us know what you find out.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I will, a little busy right now, maybe in a week or two
Old 01-27-2007, 06:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

13.6 volts, I've put in new batteries two set of 6volt in series, new 300watt inverter and a new converter the 9260 with smart charger.

Now the television cycles on and off but I can get the inverter to keep it on if i switch the inverter on and off. I'm going to look at winnebago's site to find out the orginal inverter if it was a true sine. the only true sine inverter seem to connect directly to the battery and not the 12 volt outlet. I appreciate your time in this matter, have agood day thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Okay inverter will work when I;m plug into shore power so maybe the batteries were not fully charged. Anyhow If anybody still reading this post how long to charge 4- excide GC 110 batteries 186 AH each, thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer 30B which is essentially the same ride. I too installed an inverter in the overhead on the pax side. Winnebago installed as an option on my RV a 130 watt inverter. Winnebago installed the wiring weather you ordered the inverter or not. The wire was large enough to handle a 300+ inverter. Just had to modify the factory wiring harness to plug into the inverter and add a circuit breaker/fuse under the dash. The alarm you heard was due to low voltage from the batteries. It happened to me once. FYI...the inverter I have is not pure sine wave and it powers my tube TV and VCR. FYI2...I to saw the picture of 4 Trojans and 1 chassis battery stuffed into a Sightseer battery bay also. I PM'd the guy and he said they were either T105's or T115's. Same footprint, different height.
Be careful with the 9260. I went with the 9245 because of the existing wire size from converter to batteries. Mine is 8ga. I don't like the idea of running 60 amps through 8ga.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

rick od
Thanks for the info,
Where is the wiring harness? I've been trying the 12 volt outlet near the passenger side, maybe thats the probelm? Again thanks for your time