Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I am new to this forumn and I would like to intodruce myself. I am sure I have many questions coming down the road. I currently have a 2008 32k Vista. My husband and I had a 3936 Newmar Ventana, before that we had a Winneabago class C 32 foot. Anyway my husabnd past away, the Ventana was too much motorhome for me so I went back to a Winnabago. My daughters and I go to use it once before putting it in storage. I did turn the batteries off at the switch beside the stairwell. However when I went to start the Vista, I turned the batteries on at the switch, but I had to use booster button on the dash panel.
Did I do somthing wrong? Are my batteries OK. Can someone explain how they work?
Thanks for your help, k
china3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I am new to this forumn and I would like to intodruce myself. I am sure I have many questions coming down the road. I currently have a 2008 32k Vista. My husband and I had a 3936 Newmar Ventana, before that we had a Winneabago class C 32 foot. Anyway my husabnd past away, the Ventana was too much motorhome for me so I went back to a Winnabago. My daughters and I go to use it once before putting it in storage. I did turn the batteries off at the switch beside the stairwell. However when I went to start the Vista, I turned the batteries on at the switch, but I had to use booster button on the dash panel.
Did I do somthing wrong? Are my batteries OK. Can someone explain how they work?
Thanks for your help, k
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You probably have 3 batteries in your well. 2 are 6v house batteries in a series (hooked together) the other one is your engine battery. If you haven't driven the coach for a long time the engine battery could need a charge. Since you were able to start it by using aux start switch it may be pretty easy to get the battery charged - at least have a reputable mechanic check it for you.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum . You have come to the best place on the internet to get help with RVing issues and to share your RV experiences. We have great folks here, for sure.

Rocket Heart gave you good advice. Apparently, parasitic drains on your starting battery weakened it but you had enough 'juice' in the house batteries to get it started.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Welcome ...

I commend you for electing to enjoy the RV lifestyle without your husband.

I looked on the Winnebago website for the battery wiring configuration for you coach. It appears that the batteries are under your entry steps. There will either be 2 or 3 batteries under there.

There will be one battery for starting your engine and supplying power for your headlights, taillights etc. That is called your chassis battery. It is most likely a sealed battery meaning that you do not need to add water to it.

The other battery or batteries are called "coach" batteries. The battery diagrams show those as 12 volt. If you have two coach batteries there will be a cable running from the (-) terminal on one battery to the (-) terminal on the second battery ... and a cable connecting the (+)'s as well ...

It is most likely that the coach batteries will not be sealed but will have pry off caps for checking the water level. You will need to add DISTILLED water to each cell on a regular basis. If the water is too low you will be able to see the top of the plates (metalic waffle like gizmos) ... the water should not come above the bottom of the filler neck

A turkey baster will work great for adding water to you batteries ...

Welcome to the forum ... enjoy your rig with your family
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

China3.......Dont forget that when your MH sits idle for any extended period of time you will need to run your generator once a month for an hour or more. All your batteries will be charging while genny is running also. Enjoy
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just want to Thank everyone for their responses. We live in central PA and our first trip for the season will be next week-end. So I will definilty start up the generator htis week-end.
tks, china3
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

For a college level education (non technical, however but very complete) go to

-12 Volt Side

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote