Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Clearance/Tail Lights Not Working

We have a 2008 Winnebago View 24H and we're on the road this week. The 5 red lights along the top rear of the RV - clearance/tail or lamps (or running lights) are not lighting. I believe they are supposed to be lit when the engine is running or at least while the transmission is in gear. Brake lights and turn signals are working fine.

I first started searching for fuses under the drivers seat and then under the drivers side foot area. There are lots of fuses there with no clue as to what they are for - I don't seem to have a fuse panel diagram.

I did find the automotive and coach circuit breakers under passenger seat and there is a breaker there marked CLEARANCE/TAIL LAMPS but that appears to be Ok.

Any other hints as to where I might look for the cause of this problem?

Thanks,
John
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
We have a 2008 Winnebago View 24H and we're on the road this week. The 5 red lights along the top rear of the RV - clearance/tail or lamps (or running lights) are not lighting. I believe they are supposed to be lit when the engine is running or at least while the transmission is in gear. Brake lights and turn signals are working fine.

I first started searching for fuses under the drivers seat and then under the drivers side foot area. There are lots of fuses there with no clue as to what they are for - I don't seem to have a fuse panel diagram.

I did find the automotive and coach circuit breakers under passenger seat and there is a breaker there marked CLEARANCE/TAIL LAMPS but that appears to be Ok.

Thanks,
John
Just replaced 3 out of 5 of mine in our 2012 - maybe all of yours are out check one to be sure
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Thanks,
John
Are you sure they're not only on when the headlights are on?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks - We did the headlight check last night and no "running" lights.

I hope not all 5 lights are out so checking "common" things first. But maybe there's a common ground connection. Will check those when we get home.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

And by the way, no front running lights either.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Did you by chance post this somewhere else also? I made a lengthy reply yesterday but it does not show here. Could have disappeared in the black hole of the internet.

Anyhow, I have a T1N based View, so it is somewhat different. While the vehicle is designed for ALL the lights, headlights and running/parking lights to be on when the engine is running, you also can turn them on manually with the switch on the stalk/turn signal lever. Are you manually turning them on?

The Daytime Running Light fuses are different from the ones that protect the circuit when you use the manual switch. There are three DLR fuses, one for each headlight and one for the parking/running lights. On mine all three are in the seat base, and you can remove them to prevent DLR operation. The lights will work normally when you manually turn them on. This is what I have done to save bulbs, as I have little faith in DLR's being of much advantage anyhow.

This is almost certain to be a Sprinter problem, and not a WBO problem, especially if the front amber parking lights in the headlight assy do not work.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:

Thanks,
John
If your tail lites are working which I assume they are because you never indicted they were not so then the power line or ground to those upper clearance lites is bad most likely.your post subject heading is a little misleading because you said clearance and tail lites not working
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tail/clearance lamp relay

On wiring diagram http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2008/08_524h_wire_160995.pdf I found a relay labeled TAIL/CLEARANCE LAMP RELAY. From the diagram, seems like this could have something to do with both my front and rear clearance lamps. But I can't find where this is located. Does anyone have a relay location map for this 2008 View 24H?

Thanks,
John

Tags
light, lights