Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2024, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 26
Battery Bank relocation 2005 Journey

Next question, please!
I am researching relocating the battery bank in my 05 Journey. I want to expand my amps available, but the original house battery tray will only hold 3 100a/h batteries. The location can vary, but my question relates to the DC connections in the power compartment. Are these where the batteries connect t the house 12v system? Are these items that can be replaced by a consolidated 12v load center such as the Lynx Distributor or equivalent?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-29 202257.png
Views:	26
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	188414  
jonnshell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 2,084
Would it be less expensive to switch to LIPO batteries and keep the present location? Three LIPO batteries actually do make 300A available for use without damaging them.
As to relocating, yes anything is possible with enough money. I know a man that installed 10, 6V batteries in a special-made rack above the drive engine, next to the vented access door. I think he said the total cost of this project was close to $8,000.
That was before LIPO batteries were commonly used in an RV.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Would it be less expensive to switch to LIPO batteries and keep the present location? Three LIPO batteries actually do make 300A available for use without damaging them.
As to relocating, yes anything is possible with enough money. I know a man that installed 10, 6V batteries in a special-made rack above the drive engine, next to the vented access door. I think he said the total cost of this project was close to $8,000.
Hi Ray
I actually have three battle born 100 amp batteries now. I'm looking to add at least 300 more amps and possibly more. My concern is those 12v connections and if I should just run cable from them to the compartment about 8 ft away, or if an all in one distributor would be able to take their place to connect the battery bank to the 12v system.
jonnshell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
tim myers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 578
Hey now, that's my picture in your post, not that I am worried about it just surprised to see it.



No offense to you or battle born, but they are so darned expensive I am surprised they are still being purchased. I have been seriously considering purchasing two 300AH Epoch batteries for my 2007 Journey. Three of the V1 batteries will fit in your tray if it is the same size as mine (14.25 x 23.75), but I would probably only get two.
__________________
2007 Winnebago Journey 36SG and 2013 Honda CRV Toad
e-Trailer XHD Towbar (Demco) Blue Ox baseplate, SMI Stay N Play brakes
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Hey now, that's my picture in your post, not that I am worried about it just surprised to see it.



No offense to you or battle born, but they are so darned expensive I am surprised they are still being purchased. I have been seriously considering purchasing two 300AH Epoch batteries for my 2007 Journey. Three of the V1 batteries will fit in your tray if it is the same size as mine (14.25 x 23.75), but I would probably only get two.
I knew I should have given credit to you for that! Lol! I was too lazy to go down to my rig in the cold Seattle rain to take my own. ��
I am looking at some options as well. Amazon has Weize 200a lithium with bms and 8000 cycles for 499. I just have to confirm that the victron will support, or can be custom setup for what this battery requires.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PTQBXCG
jonnshell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 3
Adding battery capability

I have a 2008 Itasca Ellipse and switched 3 12V batteries to 4 6V golf cart batteries. It works so much better! My tray was just big enough to put 4 batteries in, rotatating the batteries 90 degrees. Two sets run in parallel, with each set run in series. I did this 10 years ago and got 8 years out of them. Had to buy a couple of extra cables, but otherwise was quite easy. Going Li-Ion is better but much more expensive.
Steve Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:04 PM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnshell30 View Post
Hi Ray
I actually have three battle born 100 amp batteries now. I'm looking to add at least 300 more amps and possibly more. My concern is those 12v connections and if I should just run cable from them to the compartment about 8 ft away, or if an all in one distributor would be able to take their place to connect the battery bank to the 12v system.
Three 100 amp-hour lead acid batteries will provide only 150 amp-hours safely, whereas three 100 amp-hour lithium batteries will provide a full 300 amp-hours safely at about half the weight!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 2,084
Amazon has China-made LifePO4 12V, 100A batteries for $239 now.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
journey, battery, cat


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grounding a battery bank dashriprock1 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 2 08-26-2022 07:33 PM
Best way to upgrade existing battery bank AJMike Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 6 11-06-2021 03:35 PM
Question: Mixing Lithium Battery Brands in my Bank pinchio Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 24 07-19-2020 09:56 AM
2106 DS battery upgrade and relocation to inside maksiu Winnebago Travel Trailers 15 07-09-2020 10:14 AM
How I upgraded my battery bank on a 38J Voyage. ktoutoor Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 12 11-21-2014 04:05 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.