Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2024, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

5500 Generator Power? 2023 Adventurer

I have a 2023 Winnebago adventure, with a 5500 generator. Is it true, the generator will always supply 110 voltage to one leg of electric power? I’m trying to Termine if I have a problem with my electrical settings, or whether I will only get 110 V to one leg of my power supply
FReynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 05:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings FReynz,
The Onan 5500 Generator produces 5,500 watts of power as one phase of 120 VAC up to 45.8 amps:
https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-5500
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 05-20-2024, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Without know Which 2023 Adventurer you have we are limited to how much we can look up on drawings, so I will point you to the drawings that will tell you how and what you might expect.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

However, in looking at a couple of the smaller, it appears that they have two feed, each feeding a main and each of the Air units! Then it is not totally clear which main feeds the smaller breakers.
Maybe take a look at the drawings for your RV?
Once on the correct RV, this section seems to show what you are looking for:
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation/Diagram
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

sorry, I have the Winnebago 2023 adventure 35, I only have a 30 amp 220 V plug at home, and the generator. I was looking for my front air conditioner to work under the set up, but I do not get any power to leg two, which powers the front air conditioner. I’m assuming because the 550 only produces 110 V, and will only power one 110 V. leg. I suppose I need to Plug into an actual 50 amp plug to ensure that both like one and like two are supplied with 110 V. Is that correct?
Old 05-20-2024, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Danger! Don't plug the RV into a 220 outlet! Reasonably common for the outlet or plug to be changed and connect 220 to the RV! NOT good!
No 220 volt at any point on RV!

Whether on generator or shore power, the output of the transfer switch is the same as it only choosing which to use.
That output should be two lines of 110 with no 220 involved at any point!
One of those will feed the front Ac and the other feeds the rear! Both are 110 and the same phase, not to confuse with 220!

If only one Air will run, I might take a look at the transfer switch as the possible problem? Possible one of the breakers is tripped?
But both cord or generator should be the same other than wire colors at the transfer switch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	189011
Old 05-20-2024, 07:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I understand 100%, thank you. But the bottom line is I suspect my 5500 generator will only power one leg of the power needed to my generator. Therefore only one AC
Old 05-20-2024, 10:18 PM   #7
Site Team

I have a 2017 Adventurer 37F with the 5500w Onan and it will power both of my A/Cs on generator power.

There are two circuit breakers on your generator, make sure both of them are switched on. They are physically located on the generator.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes, the power from AC cord or generator should be the same. The transfer switch chooses which you get but it is the same otherwise!
They call them red and black as I assume that is the wire color but one will be feeding the front air and the other will feed the rear!
Click this snip to see better or go direct to this drawing for a whole 110AC layout:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000218585.pdf
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	189020

If the breakers on both are good, the next most likely place I would look would be the transfer switch.
But the connections at any point along the line including at the Generator should be checked. Are there two breakers at the generator or one combined to operate both feeds?

But there are often better ways to start looking for the problem!
If we find the one Air unit is not working, it may not be a problem with the input power as it takes lots of other parts as well. Perhaps something as minor as a bad thermostat?
But we can save trouble of digging into the transfer switch, etc. if we do some easier looking first before deciding it has to be a major power problem.

You have what looks like loss of one feed? But have you checked that idea?
If you have two feeds for the whole RV and lose one, that means about half the RV 110AC will not work! So is half the RV dead?
I would guess that would be noticed but not if we get focused on the first item we find dead!
If about half the RV is dead when running on Generator but live when plugged, then look to big feed problems. But if you find it is only one Air unit that won't work, it is not likely to be the main feed!

Maybe only a 12Volt fuse as that runs the controls?

It's always good to first define the problem and let that lead to where to look.
In the case of the air, there are so many small points that it is much less likely to be in the big parts if we have not noticed any big disruption of things!

Tags
power, vent, generator, adventurer