Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

skylight substitution 2014 Vista

We had our skylight replaced in January 2022 due to 3 cracks in the outer cover. This month (April) during heavy rains, we had leaking again along the shower wall and over to bedroom slide. We found cracks in the skylight. We are looking at another skylight, at a cost of 500 for a skylight, not including the cost of labor. And it is a 6-8 week wait on the skylight. In the meantime we put eternabond around the perimeter and also covered the cracks. 2 skylights in a matter of 3 months is a bit much, not including the water damage we have now. Has anyone replaced the skylight with a flat piece of plexiglass, any thoughts on this idea?
Old 04-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

From dealing with plex in fish tank covers, I would not trust plex as it tends to bow down when horizontal like the cover of a fish tank, so a bigger area like you have would make me nervous?

Not tried it for that use but just my thoughts?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

hmmm, didn't think of that!
Old 04-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Any skylight that sufficiently larger than the hole (even a different shape) will work with one caveat. Assuming you have an inner skylight, the external skylight's "rise" needs to be steep enough and high enough to accommodate the inner skylight.

I think many damaged skylights are damaged by driving under low hanging branches or possibly dropping branches. I've often thought there ought to be a way to build a protective cage to protect the skylight. With a translucent inner skylight, it would be invisible from inside.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You are right Bob. We live in the suburbs of Charleston South Carolina and just to leave our neighborhood hubby must dodge branches. Also South Carolina has horrible roads and rough bridges, 2 new windshields and a crack in the 3rd can attest that! What himself and son thought of was to remove inner and outer skylight and replace with the plexiglass, Morich brings up a good point though. I like the cage idea you have!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think the shape of the dome has a lot to do with them being able to build thinner skylights and still not droop, but most of us don't have that equipment to form the plastic.

For a cage over the top, something like a grocery cart cover might help but I've just settled for watching really close and hoping!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a couple of ideas regarding the cage.

1. Get a sheet of sturdy impact resistant polycarbonate and heat bend it into an open sided guard that covers the skylight front and back. Alternatively, it could be fit to a frame.

2. Make a cage out of stainless steel mesh. There's a lot available with different sized meshes and wire gauges but this might get expensive. It's often only available in large rolls.

3. Make something out of a suitably sized SSS BBQ grill grate. This might be cheaper and would be tougher than the mesh:

https://www.amazon.com/stainless-ste...el+grill+grate

3. It wouldn't help with dropping branches, but a simple guard in front of the skylight might, when driving, deflect branches upward long enough for the skylight to pass under. Even at 10 MPH, it would be a very short time. An angled BBQ grate that slants partially over the skylight should be pretty effective and relatively inexpensive.

I won't be going on my roof for a while due to some current physical limitations so I won't be trying this anytime soon.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light