Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2023, 01:54 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hydraulic Leveling line leaking 2015 Sunstar 35F

I have a hydraulic leveling hose leaking/seeping (yes, its been tightened) and I have another which has a bubble. They're not causing an operational problem right now, but I know they will at some point.

I'm going to change them out, but I have a question: Does Winnebago have drawings of the hydraulic line placement like they do of many of the other systems on our units? I can do it without the drawings, they would just make the job a little easier.

I've included a pic of the dripping one.

Thanks for any help or ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230814_074009 (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	187096  
Old 08-28-2023, 07:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Morich is really good with the drawings and schematics, he'll be along shortly I hope.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 12:49 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Ray, I was hoping the same thing. I figure if anyone would know about the drawings, it would be him.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The tough answer is that I've already be here and passed as the Winnebago drawings do not go into the "added parts" like the jacks! To get a better idea of the lines on the jacks, we need to go to the jack manufactor like HWH, etc. and look for drawings of the brand and model we each may have on our RV.

Next best and possibly good enough is to check the big folder of info we hope you got with the RV. You may find a booklet that gets you enough of the right info?

At one point there was a fellow who worked for HWH who was a good info source but , not me! Sorry!

Was that AZpete or am I confused?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, AZPete/ Paul Maddox works for HWH and is presently at the FMCA convention in AZ. He is still posting on irv2.com answering folks questions and offering expert advice.His public phone number is 6025493638. Call and leave a msg, or txt him with all the details of your issue and he'll return your call when time permits.

I don't think The chassis mfgr. installs the HWH leveling system, they sell the bare chassis to mfgrs. Then the mfgr. installs the HWH system. When the mfgr. installs the HWH system, they install the hyd. lines and"'marry" the HWH wiring to Winnebago wiring.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-30-2023, 01:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks guys. If I find out any useful resource or information, I'll follow up with it.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you can measure hose or take it off ,some NAPA dealers will make the hoses . Or fine a hose maker .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:22 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

OP here: I ended calling Winnebago and had a surprisingly short wait time. I explained the situation, and the guy looked on his computer for a bit and then said that they had a set of "in house" drawings he could send me.

It was exactly what I needed. It showed all parts of the system, their relationship to each other and it had them listed as "a typical installation", which mine must have been, as they appear to match exactly.

I'm fortunate to have a very reputable hose maker near me and they made the new hose while I waited. I'll reinstall this one, and then see about replacing several of the others. I'm torn between "if it ain't broke. . . ., and preventative maintenance.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

best to get ahead of a break down . You know it will break at the worst time and in the middle of nowhere . You don't want one to burst at a camp ground when you are setting up .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:50 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
OP here: .....

I'm fortunate to have a very reputable hose maker near me and they made the new hose while I waited. I'll reinstall this one, and then see about replacing several of the others. I'm torn between "if it ain't broke. . . ., and preventative maintenance.
Upinsmoke, Let us know how the replacement goes. It seems like the jack system is under high pressure to keep the jacks up in the retract position and under high pressure to keep the jacks down in the lowered position. I've wondered how to work on the system when there is always high pressure in the lines. Seems dangerous to disconnect a high pressure hose but I have no experience with hydraulics.

Good luck with the repair.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 04:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Upinsmoke, Let us know how the replacement goes. It seems like the jack system is under high pressure to keep the jacks up in the retract position and under high pressure to keep the jacks down in the lowered position. I've wondered how to work on the system when there is always high pressure in the lines. Seems dangerous to disconnect a high pressure hose but I have no experience with hydraulics.

Good luck with the repair.
On my 2011 Adventurer the jacks are retracted by springs so there is NO pressure in the line when raised. I changed a valve a few weeks ago without issue or oil spill. When extended the pressure is set about 3000 psi so make sure all jacks are retracted before working on the system.
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 03:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

OP here: A quick update. I replaced one extend and one retract line so far, and will likely only do two others (for now) because they are very short lines. I want to investigate how the other lines are routed. Unfortunately, it appears that the lines that cross the frame in the rear go over the gas take and, I believe, may be wire tied there. If so, it would be challenging to replace them.

When you first crack one of the lines, the fluid is under a little pressure, so you have to be ready to catch it and watch your eyes!. I purchased oil absorbent pads. Then, the remaining fluid will leak out and again you have to have something to catch/absorb it.

Once the line is disconnected at both ends, pull it out and take it to the hose shop and have them make you up a new one. Where the line was disconnected form the jack, I covered it with plastic and a rubber band to keep any junk out while it was off. In the elbow or fitting where the line is disconnected is an "o" ring and it must be replaced. The shop said that many times a leak can be corrected merely by replacing the O ring. Good to know, I'll carry spares.

Hope this is understandable, if you have questions,lmk.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

This might be useful beginning with pg 17; https://rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/Hy...HWHSystems.pdf
Old 09-06-2023, 03:33 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Ray, thanks. While I don't have an HWH system, there is useful information in the document, and I'll hold onto it.

I'm dealing with a (hopefully) small "o" ring problem right now. The first hose went perfect (as far as I know) but when I had the second hose made up, the o rings they provided didn't fit. They were close, but no cigar. They gave me others to try which I hope to do today. If they don't fit, I'll be looking for a different shop.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:28 AM   #15
Site Team

Does Winnebago even install any HWH product on any of their motorhomes any more? I was told they stopped using HWH hydraulic systems a number of years ago (10 years??). Everything is Lippert now, PowerGear and before that Kwickee.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Does Winnebago even install any HWH product on any of their motorhomes any more? I was told they stopped using HWH hydraulic systems a number of years ago (10 years??). Everything is Lippert now, PowerGear and before that Kwickee.
AZPete will know, he doesn't work in the factory now, he's a sales rep.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:23 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

OP here: For now, I'm considering the project (mostly) complete and successful. I replaced 2 hoses from the right front jack, checked and refilled the hydraulic fluid, then operated the jacks on auto level several times. I also let it set up on the jacks for a bit and then retracted them. So far (fingers crossed), there isn't a hint of a leak.

I have two more short lines to replace, which I decided to do after an upcoming camping trip, and then everything needs to be re-wire tied.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230909_081653.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	187218  

Tags
leveling, leak, hydraulic