Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Side Mounted Cameras

Has anyone added side mounted cameras to their MH. It was an option on the 05 Journey. Would everything be there for the add on or is it a lot of work. Those who have them, do you think it would be worth installing them. Thanks for the input.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

They may be pre-wired...check the wiring drawings for your vehicle in the stickee at the top of the page. As to utility, they are fine but I could do without them and would not order them or go to the expense (think they are $100+, each). I'm a gadget person so like stuff like this but most of the time I only use the mirrors. JMHO.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Never saw the need for side cameras, but once I had them can't imagine ever driving a MH without them. They are a great addition.

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I insisted on them when I bought my MH, but find I use my mirrors much more than the cameras. I do like to use them to confirm what my mirrors tell me - particularly for changing lanes. I could get along without them, but prefer to have them.
Good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have 3 cameras. One back-up and two side. I don't find the side cameras very rewarding. I found that I spent to much time looking at the camera to see if anything was there, whereas the mirrors are a quick glance and I'm aware of the surroundings. I do have my two mirrors on each side, one regular and one wide-spot adjusted so I have a constant view of the surrounding area.

I do use the back-up when driving and when backing up. When driving it gives me an entire view of my TOAD plus a little more. It is a good indicator when I'm clear to move over when passing. (Not that I pass that often, but in the city it is a big help.

Knowing now what I do I would not opt for side cameras if they were an add on option. My coach came with them.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Added a camera on the curb side to eliminate a blind spot a night right next to the entry door. No pre-wiring existed to make the camera switch automatically with the turn signal. I just used one of the 3 inputs on the Sony monitor and can switch it as needed right from the selector switch on the monitor. I actually prefer it this way as I like to leave the side camera on when I am in caught in rush hour traffic.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I have a Mirada in New Zealand that has been converted to Right-hand drive, so I can't see the petrol cap or the dump station location. I will be fitting a wireless camera to the side so I can see the location of both more easily. I may shift the rear reversing camera to the side and put the wireless at the back, as the wireless allows for reversing the picture so that it looks more like a mirror.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here is a side camera installation that maybe of interest to you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2008 Winne Voyage and I don't care for the side mounted cameras. My monitor sits nearly in the middle of the dash and is not angled towards the driver at all. I like to drive with the seat very near the steering wheel and the monitor is not easy to see with no angle on it. I find it distracting when the camera switches to the side view when turning. I like to watch the location of the toad at times when turning and have to turn the blinker off in order to see the toad. I've been going to look into the hookup of the side cameras to see if I can disable them so all I see is the back camera when turning and the blinker is on. To me a good feature would be to have a switch to enable or disable the side cameras.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our 07 Voyage came with the side cameras. If they had not been there I probably would not have paid extra for them. Now two years after our purchase of the Voyage, I can honestly say that I love the cameras and the extra view they provide. The mirrors are great, but the cameras really are worth having, especially on the right side.

On my last motorhome I was driving solo and had failed to secure the curtains properly. I was driving in the center lane of three, when traffic suddenly slowed. I hit the brakes and the curtain on the passenger side slid forward blocking my view of the right mirror. Needless to say moving to the right lane and shoulder was scary! I made it safely and learned my lesson. The side view cameras would have been worth their weight in gold at that time.
I think that installing the cameras would be money well spent.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Great post. Just made me add "Secure windshield curtains" to my checklist!! Never thunk of that.

stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My MH had them included when purchased. It is not a necessity but sure is an added security. I recently installed a new monitor and it has a 4 split screen. Sometimes when we park to have lunch I'll leave the camera on and have a view of what's going on in back and on the sides. Sort as a security camera.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Are there any aftermarket wireless side cameras available?
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Are there any aftermarket wireless side cameras available?
Yep - I have purchased one here in New Zealand and I have the box in front of me as I type. It is simply called a "Wireless Backup camera system" there appears to be no trade name. However on the side of the box is the serial number for the camera (GB8909). It is a camera with led lights at the side for night viewing. The monitor is GB7109 which is a 7" TFT LCD monitor.

It is a 2.4GHz system, and I used it to replace my old reversing camera as I wanted to see a "mirror" image and the location of my old reversing camera was too low in the dash and it was partly obscured by the steering wheel. However I am not that happy with it overall. It works fine, but without extending the aerial, I am getting a lot of flicker in normal operation. It would be fine for a side camera, but I want a more reliable operation to see what is behind me when I am driving. I will probably go for a new camera to plug into the new monitor via a cable, and use the wireless for a side camera only when in a service station or at a dump-site.