Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Full body paint owners are you satisfied and front mask

We have ordered ours and was wondering about some of you first hand how do you like the paint what you use as far as wax and did you have to wait fora while before you could wax it from the factory new. I think Winnebago has different company do there painting for them. After 1 year or two how is the paint holding up and the front mask .Is it nice for cleaning up the bugs of the front, and how is it holding up and is it 3M or dose some one else make the mask Do you feel it was worth 1,200 dollars for the mask.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots of questions there. We bought our coach off the lot and it came with the 3M mask. After checking out the coach more closely, I saw where they had installed the mask over some water spots so they had to remove it... repaint the front where the removal also removed some paint... and repaint parts of the front cap.

We've been pretty happy with it but it's hard to say because we don't know how bad the front end might look after 35,000 miles if we didn't have it. It does seem to make bugs come off more easily but be careful not to scratch it while cleaning. I used my fingernail to try and remove a spot and did far more damage than the spot did.

We had our dealer apply an after market clear coat on our full body paint which was supposed to make waxing unnecessary for 5 years. I just had our coach waxed for the first time at 4 years old and it still looks like new.

Winnie does use a subcontractor to do their FBP. They're located right across the street from the factory in Forrest City.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I like our full body paint. It looks better and the problem with tape stripes is gone. The complaint that I have is they apparently only use one coat of clearcoat. It needs several. It is very easy to rub through the clearcoat or to scratch it. We have the 3M front cover and it protects the front from a lot of rock chips and is probably worth it. Our complaint with it is that they only covered the parts of the front that are vertical. The angled portions of the front cap are not covered and get chipped a lot. This shows me how much the front is protected but how much better it could have been if they had covered more of the front.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I like the FBP for the ease of cleaning. I don't think it's what I would call a excellent job of painting. I can feel a ridge where one color meets another. We have areas where I can see the paint is very thin. Several areas have dirt in the paint. Maybe not dirt, but I can see the very small bumps that were painted over. And for the mask I would not buy it again. Ours is 3 years old and has light colored paint on front. Under the mask, brown spots are starting to show. Some very small and some up to about 1/4" in diameter. It looks to me at some point in time the mask material will have to be removed and maybe the front repainted. I have heard of others having the same problem and read about those trying to remove the mask. As another already said the clear coat is thin.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Ref the 3m mask,,,, we recently purchased an 07 Ellipse with the mask, the coach had 17k miles on it and I am not that happy with the mask I think I could get a better shine on the front end without the mask but I would never have it removed now, as far as protecting from dings guess its a matter of luck and being careful on the road, our previous coach was an 02 Journey we purchased new with no mask drove it for 54000 miles and the front end looked like new when it was traded, at the end of each day of travel I de bugged the front end religiously and continually waxed the front end with an easy on easy of liquid.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Have had the rig for over two years now and am satisfied with both. Like another poster mentioned, the paint job isn't the best but I like it better than the Filon finish. There are several places where they painted over bits of dust and the edges from color to color can be felt.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I am very happy with the full body paint, I have it waxed once a year by professionals. People tell me that it still looks new. I have the 3M mask and I am happy with it also.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

ct78barnes,
Glad you ordered a new coach. I know you will enjoy being part of the Winnebago family. I hope you come to the Grand National Rally soon. I have the full body paint since 2006. The gel coast had to "set" for about six weeks from the factory. Do not use any wax or polymer that has silicon per Winnebago. The best polymer that I know of is made by Corrosion Technologies. It has no silicon and can be applies right over everything including your 3M film. It is called RejeX. There may be other products but this has worked well for me for over four years and it all looks great. Enjoy.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had a full body paint done at precision painting and it sucks. the front mask has loose edges installed over dust and dirt and just a poor prep.
the paint has now flake off my air conditioners. they messed up the hood hynges I now have a 2" gap.
what ever you think of your winne paint job be happy, you didn't get a precision high dollar job
Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We had 3m put on our full body paint the day after we bought it. The dealer refered me to the installer they used, and my cost was $750 rather than the $1500 the dealer would have charged. I recommend film (3m, Diamond Shield, or others) ONLY if you will sell/trade the RV within 3 years.That way someone else gets to deal with the mess/hassle/expense of removal and repainting. (But don't try to sell your rig to me...) I hear very similar complaints regardless of the brand. I removed ours, and the coach looks much better w/o the film, even with some clearcoat damage from the removal. I have no doubt we would have been better off without it I definitely would have saved $750 and whatever it will cost to have the clearcoat repaired!.

The paint is automotive paint with clearcoat, so use any clearcoat safe wax. I use turtle Wax or similar liquid car wash once or twice a year, and a California Duster for touch up between. Our coach is almost 9 year old with 60k miles and looks great!

The only problem we had with paint was clearcoat peeling on the roof cove and top of front cap. Winnebago took care of repainting through a local dealer. Many coaches in our time had the same problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the information but did I get this right the dealer not Winnie puts this 3m shield on after they get it from the factory or does Winnie do it. Did I make a mistake getting the full body paint. Sound like some of you are not happy campers.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I don't know if Winnie applies film on some or not ...naybe some else can answer that.
Quote:
Did I make a mistake getting the full body paint. Sound like some of you are not happy campers.
NO, NO, NO! I like the full body paint very much! My 9 year old coach (build date '02) looks great compared to non-painted coaches of the same age with their dull yellowing fiberglass and peeling decals. Full body paint weathers much better and is far easier to care for. Its the 3m/diamond Shield/etc vinly film mask that I see as a bad mistake!

Understand now?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

My 3M mask was on the factory invoice.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

our 04 vectra had clearcoat peeling off the front cap and the rolled area near the roof....we had paint done in the factory twice..both times they left overspray everywhere! i would not recommend....we wax our mhome 2xyr.
dent squad usa is offline   Reply With Quote