Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

We recently purchased a 2004 Journey 36G and the Drivers Information Center can hardly be seen while underway. Thanks to others I have found that there is an upgrade which helps improve visibility. I ordered the new equipment assuming that it would be easy to install myself. I studied the instrument panel today and it is a tight fit. Has anyone accomplished this mod on a Journey 36G? Will I have to take the dash apart? It looks like the area below the instrument panel which has a hinged compartment can be removed and might provide enough access? Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We recently purchased a 2004 Journey 36G and the Drivers Information Center can hardly be seen while underway. Thanks to others I have found that there is an upgrade which helps improve visibility. I ordered the new equipment assuming that it would be easy to install myself. I studied the instrument panel today and it is a tight fit. Has anyone accomplished this mod on a Journey 36G? Will I have to take the dash apart? It looks like the area below the instrument panel which has a hinged compartment can be removed and might provide enough access? Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 11-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The display is mounted from the back of the dash. You will need to remove all of the screws around the "doghouse" base area, then all the screws in the face area of the dash. I think you may have to remove the cover around the steering wheel column base to access some of the dash screws. Just carefully try to lift the dash cover up to see if you missed some screws. The dash face needs to be pulled forward to access the two screws in the rear of the display. I think I had to unplug the cigarette lighter to allow the dash to come forward. Just take your time, lay the screws in a pattern for replacement. The instuctions tell you to do something about the display, I just made sure all the power was off, unplugged the old display and plugged in the new one. You will now be able to read the display even with dark sun glasses on! It was probably about an hour or two max, well worth it, just take your time, and don't use any excesive force, it comes apart fairly easy,
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi Steve,

I have done that mod, although it was awhile ago and my memory of it is a bit fuzzy. I have the Trip-Tek computer and I did have to unmount it's "brainbox" and move it out of the way. I think there's enough slack in the wiring that you don't have to disconnect it - just remove the mounting nuts/screws and move it out of the way.

As I remember, there was one or two dash support frame arms that are in the way. I loosened it/them and "coaxed" (some would say bent) it out of the way. It is very tight in there, but I'm not very talented in that kind of operation and I was able to get it done without any major disassembly.

I did all my work from the top, but maybe going in from the bottom might do-able. Good luck and enjoy your new Journey!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Doug, thanks for the help. I was hopeful that the face of the unit would pop off and access would be from the front of the unit but not that lucky! So I'll pick a warm fuzzy relaxed afternoon when the tension has melted off and the world seems endless and start unscrewing... I had to pay $199 for the unit as Medallion cut of the $75 dollar program in September so it is good to get feed back that the new unit's visibility has improved significantly. I guess I have gotten so use to modern technology that I was surprised to find an invisible instrument in the MH dash. I kept looking for the dial to turn on the lights! Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 11-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Info Center changout documented on our website under the RV pages.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I did successfully install the new Drivers Information Center instrument but I did vary from the recommended procedure. You may not agree with my procedure and I would carefully evaluate my procedure before proceeding.

One of the ways recommended was to disassemble the dash to be able to get to the two screws on the back side of the original instrument. This was done because the instrument is attached to the instrument panel with two back side screws.

I also spoke to the Winnebago help desk who suggested that the instrument could be removed from the front with out disassembling the instrument panel. His experience was that was how they were initially installed.

I then studied the new instrument and assumed that the backside of the new resembled the old. After a gentle pry the face plate did not pop loose. I then assumed that the two back side screws were in place contrary to Winnebago's experience. So I then assumed that possibly with a little more pressure the plastic stud that received the screw, one each side, might break off if enough pressure could be applied. The stud did snap loose at its base and then with a little more pressure the second stud broke off at its base. These were clean breaks at the stud base and although I will not be reusing the instrument the studs could be glued back into place.

The face plate was then loose and I pulled it out. I then pulled the instrument out and unplugged it and set it aside. I unscrewed the backside screws (my fingers could easily access the screw heads through the now open instrument cut out) so the broken plastic stud mounts could be removed to allow for the installation of the new instrument.

Both the old and new instruments have two holes per side that can be used to fasten the instrument to the dash board. I drilled four pilot holes and fastened the instrument to the dash. I then slid the face plate and its rubber gasket in place over the instrument and it fit snugly enough to stay in place. So far I have driven about 120 miles with the new instrument and the face plate has stayed in place with just this friction attachment. If this becomes a problem I will use a couple of silicone daps in the corners to hold it.

The change was worth it as the new display can truly be seen with no problem while sitting in a normal driving posture, even with sun glasses.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-