Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Towing a 2500 rl - problems?

I am looking at upgrading to a 2500 rl trailer. I read somewhere on this forum that a member was talking about an inherent design flaw creating poor towing characteristics. I would appreciate hearing from other owners as I am seriously considering a purchase. My tow vehicle is a '15 GM 1500 V6 with a 7,000 lb tow rating. This trailer is within tow specs of this truck but I don't want to be stressed out while towing!
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The published maximum tow rating for your truck is a best case scenario. You need to determine the maximum towing capacity for your specific truck which depending upon how you load it might not have enough capacity for a loaded 2500RL. Likewise trailer dry weights are not useful for determining if they are too heavy for your truck. It is not uncommon for a fully loaded trailer to be 1000 lbs or more over the dry weights.

You need to start by determining your available payload to carry the trailer tongue weight. Obtain your truck's maximum payload from the payload sticker on the driver's side door. It will say something like "The maximum weight of all passengers and cargo cannot exceed nnnn lbs". From this value subtract the weight of all passengers, their personal effect, other cargo and 100 lbs for a weight distributing hitch. The result is the weight you have available to carry the trailer tongue weight.

Trailer tongue weights run between 10% and 15% of the total trailer weight with the most common range being 12% - 14%. I use 13% as a rule of thumb and will also figure a 15% weight for a worst case. It is not unreasonable that a loaded 2500RL will have a weight of 6000 lbs or more. Using that and dividing by .13 (13%) gives me a tongue weight of 780 lbs. At a 15% tongue weight that is 900 lbs. To take this back to payload if a truck has a payload of say 1500 lbs that would leave a maximum of 720 lbs at 13% and 600 lbs at 15% for passengers and everything else in the truck.

You also need to be sure that the total loaded weights of the truck and trailer do not exceed the vehicles Gross Combine Vehicle Weight rating. This can be found in your owners manual or the manufacturer towing guide. In addition the hitch receiver will have maximum weights for both the tongue and trailer. These numbers are usually on a sticker or stamped into the receiver. Lastly, although rare with bumper pull trailers, is the Gross Axle Weight Rating. These values are listed on a sticker on the drivers side door pillar as well. The only way to get an accurate values it to weigh everything on a truck scale but you can get in the ballpark for the rear axle by adding the expected/measured tongue weight, 100 lbs for the hitch head and weight of cargo above or behind the axle. I have never seen the GAWR be an issue if all of the other weight ratings are within maximums except for 5th wheel trailers where the pin weight is carried directly over the axle.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your detailed response. I appreciate that the math needs to be correct and that this TV and TT combination is cutting it close. My concern is more about this particular trailer's design. I read a comment (which I should have bookmarked) where the author said the design of this model made for a poor towing experience and Winnebago was unable to solve the issue. I know that comments on the internet may not all be factual so I was hoping to hear from other 2500rl owners. My current 2108ds follows me like a dream and I was simply hoping for a little larger dream! ��
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, tow, towing