Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
We can avoid it whenever possible, and it's possible to avoid it if you pay attention to the labels on the pumps.
Perhaps, but it may mean that you have to wander from station to station checking out the labels on the pumps, and that may not even be possible in some locations. If you drive in some rural areas in the western US there may well be so few stations that you have to take what you can get.

I have done some checking where I live (southern Arizona) and so far not seen any bio-diesel signs so I assume all of the diesel here may be straight diesel or at least not more than 5% bio-diesel, but there are so few stations in places like the Texas panhandle that you just have to get what you can.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Unless you're cheating and filling up with off road (dyed red) diesel, or some kind of "home brew", you can only get ULSD in Canada and the US since around 12 years ago, with some exceptions. In 2010 all highway diesel was required to be ULSD. FYI.

As far as I know we have very few bio diesel options up here, and the pumps are marked if over 5%, so you're probably safe to fill up just about anywhere to get pure, or only slightly blended, dino-diesel. I think some of the big 3 US Truck Stops have introduced increased amounts of bio to their pumps up here, as they have in the US, so I now avoid them for fuel up here as well if +5%. Although their coffee is still better than most.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Perhaps, but it may mean that you have to wander from station to station checking out the labels on the pumps, and that may not even be possible in some locations. If you drive in some rural areas in the western US there may well be so few stations that you have to take what you can get.

I have done some checking where I live (southern Arizona) and so far not seen any bio-diesel signs so I assume all of the diesel here may be straight diesel or at least not more than 5% bio-diesel, but there are so few stations in places like the Texas panhandle that you just have to get what you can.
That's true. Sometimes there may be no choice. You can mitigate the potential harm by only filling up with enough to get you back to civilization (dino-diesel). If you're good at estimating that sort of thing. I've done it twice and made pretty good guesses. I've also delayed fueling after the low fuel warning, with no problems either.
We were out that way in September/October, and I was curious about the blends in Utah. I didn't see any labels on the pumps, and I was unaware of the labeling rules at the time (first long trip in the US in the Navion), so I asked a tanker driver who was filling the underground tanks at a Shell station in Kanab, and he said he'd never seen any bio diesel anywhere in Utah, so that's encouraging.
There are some websites that profess to know where the bio and non bio diesel stations are, but it's easier to just read the pump labels, and decide then what to do. For me, at least.
I'm thinking the more rural stations might be more likely to have the good stuff, because they might be the only game in town?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #24
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

I have never gone an extended period going a slower speed while traveling , but we had to take a rental car back to Rapid city from outside Deadwood . the speed limit was 45 , hills winding curves ,motorcycles , etc so 45 mph speed limit is proper.
well when I look down at the light approaching rapid city , I looked down and was surprised how well the mpg was . I took a pic , my previous best is 17-18 (combined ) of course thats going 65+..In the pic you can see that the 54 minute trip was 30 miles and was doing 24.2 mpg.. I found myself using the 24J as a van running around tampa city proper and with the
mercedes computer it is accumulative after start , taking in idling, running generator , etc
If I don't reset and leave for say 1000 -2000 miles it will always come back down to 15-16mpg. This vehicle has always gotten better milage than my Crewmax .
Since the Sumos,Helwig and KoniFSD, going from Montana back to tampa cruising
sensation is very similar to the wind sound and feeling of being in a 747 on desent to an airport.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Here in Iowa it is nearly impossible to find diesel that is NOT bio-blend 5-20%.

I have a friend that is COO for an oil wholesaler. He say s that if the mfr. of the vehicle either requires a certain fuel or makes their warranty conditional on use of a certain fuel, then they must make that fuel available to the customer if it is not readily available in the marketplace. In other words, it is unlikely that a mfr. could refuse warranty coverage based on the use of 5-20% blend bio fuel. Thus we simply fill up at the pump. Sooner or later bio blends will be ubiquitous (sp?).
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
I have never gone an extended period going a slower speed while traveling , but we had to take a rental car back to Rapid city from outside Deadwood . the speed limit was 45 , hills winding curves ,motorcycles , etc so 45 mph speed limit is proper.
well when I look down at the light approaching rapid city , I looked down and was surprised how well the mpg was . I took a pic , my previous best is 17-18 (combined ) of course thats going 65+..In the pic you can see that the 54 minute trip was 30 miles and was doing 24.2 mpg.. I found myself using the 24J as a van running around tampa city proper and with the
mercedes computer it is accumulative after start , taking in idling, running generator , etc
If I don't reset and leave for say 1000 -2000 miles it will always come back down to 15-16mpg. This vehicle has always gotten better milage than my Crewmax .
Since the Sumos,Helwig and KoniFSD, going from Montana back to tampa cruising
sensation is very similar to the wind sound and feeling of being in a 747 on desent to an airport.
Old thread, I realize, but what you're saying about mpg is exactly what I've seen with the 3.0L diesel and the 5 speed transmission. The accelerator pedal rate of depression is directly proportional to the rate of fuel consumption.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Old thread, I realize, but what you're saying about mpg is exactly what I've seen with the 3.0L diesel and the 5 speed transmission. The accelerator pedal rate of depression is directly proportional to the rate of fuel consumption.
Highly optimistic mpg values are typical after a fill up.. Our Sprinter, Siennas and Camry Hybrid do it. I've no idea why. Instant mpg values are snapshots and vary all over the map. Best estimates are by using long term miles which smooths the data's highs and lows.

If you don't reset the running mpg every tank, it will tend to give you a consistent number as you lay on miles and miles.

Our '10 class B would get about 16+/- . Our View gets about 15.5 on average on trips.

Honestly, we can get too weirded out I've mpg. You just need to know an honest mpg based on a few thousand miles. That tells you about how far you can go on X gallons for planning fuel stops. I use 20 gallons, about when the yellow light comes on...about 300 miles minimum....maybe, 330 tops.

(We must remember that "average" is a measure of central tendency. The arithmetic mean. More miles divided by more gallons increases the average's accuracy. The median is the number mid point between collected individual highest and lowest mpg, i.e., the middle point between all the numbers. Mode is where most cases occur in a data set. So, mpg values are interesting but the mode and mean are probably more valuable and informative in long term.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Highly optimistic mpg values are typical after a fill up.. Our Sprinter, Siennas and Camry Hybrid do it. I've no idea why. Instant mpg values are snapshots and vary all over the map. Best estimates are by using long term miles which smooths the data's highs and lows.

If you don't reset the running mpg every tank, it will tend to give you a consistent number as you lay on miles and miles.

Our '10 class B would get about 16+/- . Our View gets about 15.5 on average on trips.

Honestly, we can get too weirded out I've mpg. You just need to know an honest mpg based on a few thousand miles. That tells you about how far you can go on X gallons for planning fuel stops. I use 20 gallons, about when the yellow light comes on...about 300 miles minimum....maybe, 330 tops.

I was just saying that the higher the speed, the faster you approach "E" on the fuel gauge. Slower saves mpg?

On our first long trip, I reset the mpg dash thing a few times, but it always settled back in around 15.5 mpg (as does yours) after a few hundred/thousand miles. Our last trip covered 7,000 miles, and I didn't reset the mpg gauge at all after we set out, and it settled in at 12.75 mpg, but we were pulling an additional 4400 lbs. behind us. Both measures were based on overall driving habits, road conditions, terrain, weather, and probably fuel quality.

Since we got back a month ago, I haven't given it much thought until tonight when I was cleaning up my forum subscriptions, and found this inactive one.

Kerrville area or farther north towards Fredericksburg or west towards Fort Stockton? We were just out there and back in February, and on our way out tried a San Antonio bypass off I-10 using SR46 from Seguin to New Braunfels to Boerne. It was a bit slower than we expected, but I sometimes enjoy the non-interstate routes. We like Texas, in general. It just feels right.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I was just saying that the higher the speed, the faster you approach "E" on the fuel gauge. Slower saves mpg?

On our first long trip, I reset the mpg dash thing a few times, but it always settled back in around 15.5 mpg (as does yours) after a few hundred/thousand miles. Our last trip covered 7,000 miles, and I didn't reset the mpg gauge at all after we set out, and it settled in at 12.75 mpg, but we were pulling an additional 4400 lbs. behind us. Both measures were based on overall driving habits, road conditions, terrain, weather, and probably fuel quality.

Since we got back a month ago, I haven't given it much thought until tonight when I was cleaning up my forum subscriptions, and found this inactive one.

Kerrville area or farther north towards Fredericksburg or west towards Fort Stockton? We were just out there and back in February, and on our way out tried a San Antonio bypass off I-10 using SR46 from Seguin to New Braunfels to Boerne. It was a bit slower than we expected, but I sometimes enjoy the non-interstate routes. We like Texas, in general. It just feels right.
Winter....It is indeed a balance . Above 55-60 Air resistance plays an increasing role. But way slow doesn't help either. You are burning fuel going nowhere. Grades may help or hinder. Winds the same....and the length of time you are affected.

Diesels get more power by injecting more fuel....A lighter pedal works.

My "best" speed is between 65 & 67. Big head or heading x-winds, gusts ... about 60ish mostly to ease the work load and keep Mrs Crow from screaming and the pups from whining.

Yep! The 'Ville! There are some good roads in Texas. We do 46 once in awhile. Beats the I-10/1604/35 route. Except out in west Texas near Ft. Stockton and the pan handle. Roads destroyed by the oil and gas industry.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Winter....It is indeed a balance . Above 55-60 Air resistance plays an increasing role. But way slow doesn't help either. You are burning fuel going nowhere. Grades may help or hinder. Winds the same....and the length of time you are affected.

Diesels get more power by injecting more fuel....A lighter pedal works.

My "best" speed is between 65 & 67. Big head or heading x-winds, gusts ... about 60ish mostly to ease the work load and keep Mrs Crow from screaming and the pups from whining.

Yep! The 'Ville! There are some good roads in Texas. We do 46 once in awhile. Beats the I-10/1604/35 route. Except out in west Texas near Ft. Stockton and the pan handle. Roads destroyed by the oil and gas industry.
We've stopped in "the Ville" a few times in the last few years, usually for fuel and food and a leg stretch. Last October, we stopped at the Exxon at the Kerr Villa Kountry Store exit. We pulled in off the side street, refueled, and then I decided to challenge the front sloped potholed exit. Yikes! I probably should have backed up and exited via the side street, but we were blocked by a guy with a truck/livestock trailer combo, and I was trying to put some miles behind us on our way to Corpus Christi, so I took the "full speed ahead" forward route down the driveway onto the main road. I thought for sure we were going to drag the tail on the way out, but we dodged the potholes and we made it unscathed. Last month we stopped at the next exit with the Shell beside the McDs and the hotel. Much better entry and egress.

Trying 46 as a San Antonio bypass was just a spur of the moment decision, made after driving thru the construction zones last Fall. It was a nice lazy detour. In years gone by we used to head north on I-35 towards Austin on our westward meandering treks along I-10, and then take the back roads towards I-27 Lubbock then north to Amarillo and west on I-40 to NM/AZ towards the Grand Canyon. We discovered both Bastrop and Fredericksburg by taking the routes less traveled. Doesn't always work out, but who cares? Getting there can be (more than) half the fun.
I try to keep it between 60 and 65 mph, and our sweet spot seems to be in the middle at around 63 mph.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Yep! KVKS is Exit 505 / Harper Road. Kind of a sketchy lot there. Shell @ Exit 508 / Sidney Baker/ Rt 16 is better. Big Valero station toward town on Sidney Baker with big lot and several entrances.

Yes 63/100 kph is the sweet spot.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yep! KVKS is Exit 505 / Harper Road. Kind of a sketchy lot there. Shell @ Exit 508 / Sidney Baker/ Rt 16 is better. Big Valero station toward town on Sidney Baker with big lot and several entrances.

Yes 63/100 kph is the sweet spot.
Pay at the KVKS pump didn't work for some reason. Vaguely recall that the girl behind the counter inside did seem a little odd, iirc.

For some reason I was thinking the Rt16 station was a Sunoco, but either way it was a much easier access for us with the Wrangler in tow.

I can get decent mileage at around the 63mph spot. A little higher or lower works as well.

That wagon wheel (Sonora?) rest area west of you, is a great spot, with the dump station and all. We've used it both times coming back east on I-10. Once to dump and rest, and once just to take a break. Kudos for having something like that for us long haul travelers.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

2018 view 24v I've worried about this much and decided best thing to do is only use #2 diesel never bio diesel at all , most all name brand stations I.E. : Marthaon, Mobil only carry #2 diesel pay a couple penny's more and stop worrying about engine damage
TN VIEWer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

I've seen some pumps marked #2 diesel, with labels indicating there is "bio" added. fyi.
That's why I always look the pump over thoroughly for the "bio-diesel" content % before using it. It's a "bio-diesel jungle" out there........
Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN VIEWer View Post
2018 view 24v I've worried about this much and decided best thing to do is only use #2 diesel never bio diesel at all , most all name brand stations I.E. : Marthaon, Mobil only carry #2 diesel pay a couple penny's more and stop worrying about engine damage
All diesel sold, except for winter grade in the far north, is #2 diesel. Biodiesel is #2 as well. Practically all diesel sold has some biodiesel in it - up to 5% without requiring any change to the labeling. Only diesel containing 6-20% bio derived components needs to be labeled as biodiesel.

Mercedes understanding of biodiesel fuel in the USA is a joke. Originally Mercedes literature on fuel use thought the US was making cooking oil derived diesel fuel. Pretty funny.

Your 2018 Sprinter will happily run on 20% biodiesel without too many changes on your part - no extended idling and check your oil level more frequently.

IMHO, Sprinter owners fear of biodiesel is starting to border on the irrational.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

There are many scholarly articles relating to exposing the overall negative effects of using bio-diesel, including those that break down the environmental and financial costs of producing it (and it's sister scam, ethanol) that also tend to negate it's intended positive impact on the planet. Many of these articles don't even mention the effects on diesel engines by any manufacturer.

So it's incidental to all of this, that there is potential for damaging your expensive German built engine, and then having no fall back on the manufacturer's warranty, because you contradicted their explicit instructions, first to avoid it entirely, second to use no more than 5%, or finally, if unable to avoid it's use, you used 6% and up and didn't follow the additional instructions to observe the oil levels closely, that it may clog fuel filters, and leave deposits on injectors, negatively affecting engine performance, and allowing unburned fuel to collect in the oil sump. If a problem were to occur falling under any of these circumstances, MB would surely have reasonable grounds and cause to deny warranty coverage. If that fear is irrational in your opinion, so be it, that's fine. Other Sprinter owners simply have a perspective that differs from yours, no doubt for financial reasons. Neither position is necessarily wrong, just different.
IMHO, of course, and because it's in my 2017 Sprinter owner's manual on or near page 275.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

TN VIEWER, It is going to be OK, Friend. Just grab what is available when you need fuel. ULSD marked pumps. Do not use home-brew bio-diesel! Simple.

I think there is much lost in translating from German. Pump ULSD with a small % of bio content is not fuel biofuel made from french fry grease, pork rinds and chicken fry oil in Cousin Jim-Bob's home still. Tens of thousands Sprinters, expensive Benz cars, Jeeps and other Daimler products running on ULSD pump diesel for years in US without problems.

I've no data.....but..... you have a higher probability of accidentally mis-fueling with mogas than from damage with ULSD pump diesel....
Old 03-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Wise old crow that's my plan , I try to never get in a panic need fuel now mode so still going with the major name stations when I can, I agree with looking closely at pump stickers. I was suppressed the other day to see a flying J truck stop on I40 in west Tn advertising Bio diesel on a bill board , I'd expect truck stops to not be selling Bio! Just saying caught me off guard. A Love's truck stop near me Was selling Bio but have changed all their (auto pump) stickers back to #2 diesel with no mention of Bio ? I questioned a cashier and was told it was still Bio but questioned Loves tanker truck driver and was told they aren't selling Bio ����*♂️So I remain somewhat confused.
TN VIEWer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel