Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Instrument Cluster Help

Just diving into my new (to us) rig and I need help on where to start with my instrument cluster. Here's what's wrong:

1999 Ultimate Advantage

Speedometer: Pegs out at max
Oi Pressure: Pegs out at max
Rear air pressure: Pegs out at max
Horn: Doesn't work and pressing horn makes ABS light come on
Headlights: Don't come on (but running lights work)
Fuel Gauge: Swings wildly on turns and drops to E before climbing back (low fuel light comes on when it drops)

There was a very bad leak in the front windshield that put a lot of water on the dash. I have no idea how long that was going on before I bought her. So my inclination is that there's a control board somewhere that needs to be replaced.

But before I start ripping things apart, I'll check in with all of you to see where I should head with my trouble-shooting. Pictures to accompany directions would be a bonus.

Thanks!

Mel
Old 08-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Call Freightliner and ask for a PDF of the Users Service Manual or similar. That 'pegged' symptom tickles my brain. Sounds familiar. Think it might be a simple fix. But, yeah, get that manual and read though it.

Wow, just watched this video of your year and model. I have a '02 Journey and yours has many features I wish I had...

Now about the dash window leaks...that is a very common problem with Winnebago Class A's so you've got lots of company. I was able to stop mine and there wasn't too much damage but many owners have paid thousands to fix the damage caused by the leaks there. Here's my RV repair blog article about it...Weather Proofing

My blog (without ads) has many typical fixes for typical Winnie issues. I have a 330 HP Cat too, so check around there.

Good luck, and hope you have caught the leak early enough.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jim! I found the Freightliner operator and maintenance manuals online, but they didn’t have much detail regarding the instrument cluster. I’m going to start digging into the fuses and relays when I return from travel. I’ll chexk to see if I can find a service manual in addition to the operator and maintenance manuals.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On our Workhorse Chassis the speedometer stopped working correctly. We removed the entire cluster and took it to a local shop, Commercial Speedometer in Sacramento, CA. 916-371-8107. They rebuilt it by replacing all the individual step motors for each function. It came back looking brand new.

They will accept clusters for repair via mail and send them back.

The challenge for us was getting the cluster out of the dash but it was doable.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Cheryl. I'm working on getting the wiring and workshop manuals for the chassis so that I can work through any loose ground wires or bad relays. If it turns out the issue is within the cluster, I'll definitely take your advice!

Cheers,

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Bisson View Post
On our Workhorse Chassis the speedometer stopped working correctly. We removed the entire cluster and took it to a local shop, Commercial Speedometer in Sacramento, CA. 916-371-8107. They rebuilt it by replacing all the individual step motors for each function. It came back looking brand new.

They will accept clusters for repair via mail and send them back.

The challenge for us was getting the cluster out of the dash but it was doable.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelLandry View Post
Just diving into my new (to us) rig and I need help on where to start with my instrument cluster. Here's what's wrong:

1999 Ultimate Advantage

Speedometer: Pegs out at max
Oi Pressure: Pegs out at max
Rear air pressure: Pegs out at max
Horn: Doesn't work and pressing horn makes ABS light come on
Headlights: Don't come on (but running lights work)
Fuel Gauge: Swings wildly on turns and drops to E before climbing back (low fuel light comes on when it drops)

There was a very bad leak in the front windshield that put a lot of water on the dash. I have no idea how long that was going on before I bought her. So my inclination is that there's a control board somewhere that needs to be replaced.

But before I start ripping things apart, I'll check in with all of you to see where I should head with my trouble-shooting. Pictures to accompany directions would be a bonus.

Thanks!

Mel
Greeting Mel.
I think it is time for you to contact the folks who built the chassis. Call 1-800-385-4357. This is the Freightliner customer support line.
In my experience, this could be poor or corroded connectors or a bad control board. The folks at the service center will be more likely to point you towards the best way to figure these problems out.
With the water issue, I recommend removing the dashboard top and give things a look see.

Happy trails, when you finally get there.
Rick Y
PS: You have a good set of schematics available here: Table of Contents
This may not be for your rig. Please look up the specific model.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rick. I just got off the phone with Freightliner requesting my wiring diagram and they sent it right over by email. Digging into it now. I don't think it's quite time to try to troubleshoot on the phone with them. Since there are so many items with issues so close together, I plan to follow the wiring diagram to see if they have a comment harness connection or control module. Then once I'm in there I'll have the awareness I need to have a more informed conversation with Freightliner. I'll definitely be taking the dash apart to get to most of this and check out any additional water damage as you suggested.

Here's the diagram specific to my chassis: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2V...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Greeting Mel.
I think it is time for you to contact the folks who built the chassis. Call 1-800-385-4357. This is the Freightliner customer support line.
In my experience, this could be poor or corroded connectors or a bad control board. The folks at the service center will be more likely to point you towards the best way to figure these problems out.
With the water issue, I recommend removing the dashboard top and give things a look see.

Happy trails, when you finally get there.
Rick Y
PS: You have a good set of schematics available here: Table of Contents
This may not be for your rig. Please look up the specific model.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick. I just got off the phone with Freightliner requesting my wiring diagram and they sent it right over by email. Digging into it now. I don't think it's quite time to try to troubleshoot on the phone with them. Since there are so many items with issues so close together, I plan to follow the wiring diagram to see if they have a comment harness connection or control module. Then once I'm in there I'll have the awareness I need to have a more informed conversation with Freightliner. I'll definitely be taking the dash apart to get to most of this and check out any additional water damage as you suggested.

Here's the diagram specific to my chassis: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2V...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Mel

You've got to be young and flexible to dig into the rig that deep! Keep us posted, Mel. That was good of Freightliner to pass on your chassis wiring to you. Now to choose a strategy for troubleshooting.
I had a Freightliner tech troubleshoot my rig for a starting problem. The most likely failure spot was in the transmission cpu. What he did was to pull ever connector apart in the harness that carried the start signal. Several hours later he discovered that the signal was not making it through the cpu! Thought the shop knocked some time off the bill, it was still significant. At least you have a personal relationship with the guy who is working on your rig.
Hope you solve the problems soon. Great adventure and what a satisfying accomplishment to achieve!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

SOLVED: after digging through the Freightliner and Winnie wiring diagrams, I was able to track it all down to a loose ground in the headlight/horn harness subassembly. It was on the front crossmember on the driver’s side. Now on to the next challenge!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Well done!!!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
SOLVED: after digging through the Freightliner and Winnie wiring diagrams, I was able to track it all down to a loose ground in the headlight/horn harness subassembly. It was on the front crossmember on the driver’s side. Now on to the next challenge!

Keep up the good work. I am glad that the fix was so straightforward. I hope everything else pans out with such relative ease and cost effective. Looks like that old rig has a good owner who is on the way to breathing life back into it.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I was going to suggest that there was a loose or broken ground connection. On my 2002 Ultimate Advantage, I changed out the chassis batteries and did not hook up one little 12 gauge black wire (just missed it when re-connecting all the battery cables) and my instrument panel went crazy. When I got it re-connected, all was well. Good find on your part. Loose grounds cause all sorts of problems on these beasts we enjoy so much.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Yup. Just read this thread and 1st thing that came to mind was a bad ground. Finding electric problems is about the worst thing to do...