Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

While in Forest City, we picked up the ceiling fan for our 2005 Meridian 34H. I want to install this once we are back home and was looking for anybody that has done this. It was optional on this coach, but the previous owner did not order it. We have the ceiling light in the forward part of the bedroom on a dimmer switch. I want to keep the light and install the fan centered over the bed.

My concerns are what is up there to anchor to and how to run the wiring through the ceiling. Is is possible this is prewired? Any advice on this? I'm very apprehensive about cutting into the ceiling!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

While in Forest City, we picked up the ceiling fan for our 2005 Meridian 34H. I want to install this once we are back home and was looking for anybody that has done this. It was optional on this coach, but the previous owner did not order it. We have the ceiling light in the forward part of the bedroom on a dimmer switch. I want to keep the light and install the fan centered over the bed.

My concerns are what is up there to anchor to and how to run the wiring through the ceiling. Is is possible this is prewired? Any advice on this? I'm very apprehensive about cutting into the ceiling!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest that you give WI a call and request the details of the roof layout. It will show all the points that are reinforced and the routing of all wiring.

I would be surprised if it were not prewired since it was an option on your coach. From watching the assembly process, I thing that there would be a common wiring harness installed which would have leads for all the options.

I gave them a call when I went to install my satellite dish a while back, and was glad I did. The written instructions did not correspond with the roof layout - if I had drilled holes according to the decal on my roof I would have an extra hole now!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We are considering doint the same on our new Horizon.

Which manufacturer of fan and model did they sell you, if I may ask?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Chris,

Thanks for the advice...the girls at the parts dept couldn't help much, although they did go out of their way to ensure we got the right one. I'll try contacting them once we get back home.

Sam,

The fan is a "Trusty Products" 70057NW 36" 12V Ceiling Fan with Nickel Finish (without remote $69). Remote is "Trusty Products" 70055R 12V Remote Assy. ($29). I would have have Winnebago install it, but the wait was several days, and we needed to move on.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Trusty Products" 70057NW 36" 12V Ceiling Fan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did a search on the web and can not find any reference to the manufacturer.

I have some literature from JRV Products in Santa Ana, CA that makes a 12v unit for $179.00 and one through PPL Motorhomes for $127.00 - both in a 42 inch.

I talked with my local Campingworld store and they advised me to stay away from aftermarket fans. The told me they once sold them but had them returned as people complained they were nosiy and ineffective.

I am curious to know if you are pleased with yours when you finally get it installed and operating.

Thanks,

Sam

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Call Winnebago tec support and they will tell you how to install it. They told us how to uninstall the defective Sharp M/C oven over our stove.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sam,

This is the fan that was optional in the Meridian 34H (We picked it up from the Winnebago Factory in Forest City,Iowa). So it is not aftermarket. It is 36" due to the slide that comes in. I, too, would be concerned with an aftermarket...and it would be a shame to mess up the cabinetry with a 42" beating it up!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ceiling Fan Update - 2005 Itasca Meridian 34H

We returned home and cleaned up the coach...now it was time to tackle the ceiling fan installation. Previous post provided part numbers for the fan and remote control that we picked up while in Forest City. I followed other forum members advice and contacted Winnebago Customer Relations via e-mail, and they responded within a day. They said the coach is indeed pre-wired and sent me the drawing (149945L.pdf) in PDF format of the overhead.

After studying the drawing (All dimensions were in millimeters, and measured from the front of the coach and outside walls) and converting millimeters to inches, I was ready to punch a hole. This drawing was very helpful. Also needed is the wiring diagram (05_p34h_wire_150007.pdf), which is available on the Winnebago website

I went to the local Winnebago dealer and to pick up a 135470-04-02A switch SPDT On/Off/On ($4.80) for the wall plate. This is the one called out in parts catalog for the ceiling fan. After I got home, I found that they gave me a SPST On/Off Switch. After reviewing the wiring diagram, I decided I could use this switch, as the second "On" was a redundancy. I removed the center blank-off plate and the switch snapped into the opening. Through the door to access the rear of the washer/dryer, I found the wires with the spade connectors on them and I used the "FFY" (to fan) and "HHA" (12V power) on the new switch. I omitted the "GGX" wire.

I removed the ceiling light and measured back 24 1/2 inches from the center of this wiring hole. I used masking tape on the ceiling and marked on the tape. I then measured from each sidewall to find the center of the ceiling, and marked this on the tape. This gave me the location for the hole for the wiring for the ceiling fan. After double checking my millimeter/inch conversions and math, I put a 1 inch hole saw in my drill and punched the hole through ceiling. Ceiling is the Vinyl, 3/16" foam padding, 1/8 plywood and then about an inch of Styrofoam. Above that is an air-gap and then more Styrofoam, before you go through the roof (no, I didn't! ). I stuck my finger in the hole and there were the wires! I hooked them with a piece of bent-up coat hanger, and pulled them through my hole. They were labeled "FFY" and "HHB", just like the wiring diagram. The yellow "FFY" is from the switch and the white "HHB" is to ground.

Wiring and mounting the fan and remote was as the enclosed directions indicated. The only thing to note is that the 3 mounting screws for the motor are into a steel plate in the ceiling. These need to be predrilled before installing the fan motor housing. I mounted the remote holder on the wall next to the headboard on the wife's side of the bed - yes, she's in charge of the remotes! We are very happy with it, and it look like it was always there.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Tom: Wonderful post! Thanks so much for giving us all the details and information. I've looked at doing this replacement for a while and now feel confident enough to go for it. Thanks again

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Is the fan really a two speed fan? One of the on side of the switch is one speed, off is in the middle, the other side of the switch when on is a faster speed? That is the way the switch works on my Journey's bedroom ceiling fan as installed by the factory.

Also the fan itself has a switch on its housing to change blade rotation direction.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:04 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I installed a JRV fan in my existing ceiling lite position. Used the existing wall switch (stays at ON) & use the remote for fan control. I just screwed into the 1/8" ceiling Luan. The installation was so easy, even I could do it. Bought the fan from Lichtsinn.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

JanBCarter,

Thanks! Remember, this info applies only to the 2005 Meridian 34H...The fan will work, but you will need to get the same info for your model as to wiring and location.

CWHTRAINS,

This fan I got is actually a three speed fan will all functions on the remote (including reverse). Only thing on the moter housing is a fuse receptical. Switch on the wall controls power on/off and the remote controls fan on/off, speed, and rotation. The fan you have must be the reason for the extra wire and the SPDT switch. Maybe I ended up with a later model fan?

Thudman,

After all the bumpy roads we were on, I'm more comfortable knowing mine is screwed into metal! Also, our light was too far forward in the bedroom...the blades would hit the wall. Believe me, I didn't want to screw up our ceiling...that's why I was apprehensive about punching a hole without know exactly where!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately my ceiling fan is not a remote one, I can see where having the remote control on the bed stand would be nice.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

One more update...we got to use the ceiling fan last weekend, as we were out at the beach in St Augustine. Works great...make it much easier to sleep at night with some air circulation. Quiet, also. One thing I need to 'fess up on, though...make sure your blades clear the OPEN cabinet doors! Yes, I need to move it forward 1/4 of an inch. Blades just hit the rear cabinet door, when open. Another thing to do this weekend!