Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What's this switch for

New 2010 Winnebago outlook has a switch on dash that says RR Auto Htr On Off. I haven't been able to figure what it controls. I'm thinking it is a thermostatically controlled switch for engine heat through the water heater to the coach interior. There is a small radiator in one of the storage compartments with engine heater hoses going to it. Anyone have this setup who can explain it to me. Nothing other than a picture of the switch in the owners manual.
Thanks so much.
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome Bjsrv to irv2.
Do you have the option sheets for motor home to see if its has the remote option and if you operate the switch does the heat grill you mention in compartment heat up with the engine running.
Is there a fan behind grill to push the heat through your tank compartments?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

UMMmmm - the quick and easy way to tell, is to simply turn the ignition switch on, turn that suspected heater switch on, then go see if any air is coming from there or anywhere else in the area.

Problem SOLVED!

We have the rear engine coolant heat option in our older Winnie, along with the same option where engine coolant is circulated thru the water heater so when you get to your destination or stop along the way, you have hot water available at the faucets...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We are driving to Vegas tomorrow and I will again try to see if the switch on the dash turns a fan on that should provide heat while driving. I tried it out it but I can't remember if the motor was hot.
Thx for the response, I can always call the Mfg if I have to.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bjsrv,
Welcome to the forum. This question is specific to Winnebago. Consider having the moderators move this thread to the Winnebago Owners Forum. There you should get really good answers.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #6

Well.. on a Hyundai, the switch labeled RR HTR is for the rear heat. Think it stands for Rear Remote Heater...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, we made it to Vegas for a few days where I will have some extra time for troubleshooting my list of items discovered with this new coach. On the drive here I found that there is also no airflow coming from the dash vents. Air flows to the floor and to the defrost/windshield but not out the dash vents in any mode. Luckily I enjoy this stuff and look forward to getting all these little things repaired without taking the coach in to a dealer.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Bjsrv,
I just purchased a 2011 Itasca Impulse and I also have two of your problems. One is the RR...Auto...Htr switch on the dash. My dealer says it sends engine heat to the back of the coach, where it comes out the floor vents. But he didn't tell me when to push the RR end of the of the switch and when to push the Htr end of the switch.
Also, here in FL I've been using the A/C constantly, and sometimes the A/C stops coming out of the dash vents (for a while, then it sometimes returns by itself, or when I turn the switch to Vent and back to Max A/C) while coming out of the defrost vents, even though I have it on Max A/C, which, to my way of thinking, should send the cool air through the dash vents and not to the windshield where it causes the outside to fog up when it is humid outside, as when approaching a thunderstorm. If you can find an answer to your vent question/problem I'd sure appreciate knowing the answer.
Thank you,
Hiker Rob
HikerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

According to the wiring diagrams, the "RR Auto Htr On Off" switch supports the "Atwood 6-gallon water heater w/motoraid, energy management system and auto heater" option. That is circuit 53Z in the wiring diagrams. The water heater has gas, electric and engine heat capability. While the option is listed in the brochure, it is not addressed in the owners manual therefore I do not know what the switch positions are.

However, in the parts diagrams, under AC/heating they also show a auxillary heater about mid coach. The engine water hose feed both the water heater and the aux heater.

Looks like a package deal option

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I found that neither the RR heater switch or the cigarette lighter have power. When I get a chance to troubleshoot it I will let everyone know what I found. I also had a problem with the HVAC which was caused by mice eating a vacuum line. I fixed that but because it's warm out and I don't smoke the other items will take a back seat to motorcycling right now.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Dave78Chief,
Thank you for your info on my "RR Auto Htr" switch. I found some reference to the engine heat exchanger in my Operator's Manual Supplement. But I don't find anything that tells me whether I have it or not. And I have not seen anything about a mid-coach auxilliary heater. I'll have to search for these to see if I have them or not.
Where do I find the wiring diagram and the parts diagrams. I looked in the materials that came with the coach and don't find a chapter/section labeled AC/Heating.
Thank you,
Rob
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Bjsrv,
Thanks for the info on the RR heater switch. I look forward to finding out what you discover about this after your summer playing is over. And I feel for your mice problem. A few years ago I had a squirrel build her next on top of my engine block. In order to get there she chewed through my battery handle and a couple of hoses, and it cost me a bit to fix everything she damaged. And I was lucky that my mechanic found it all and that I didn't have a serious problem the next time I drove the moho (motorhome).
Thanks again,
Rob
Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I finally got the motoraid heater switch repaired. There is a fuse located under the drivers side step well cover. Took long time to locate. Finally the tech at local shop found it. Not what the wiring diagram showed.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjsrv View Post
I found that neither the RR heater switch or the cigarette lighter have power. When I get a chance to troubleshoot it I will let everyone know what I found. I also had a problem with the HVAC which was caused by mice eating a vacuum line. I fixed that but because it's warm out and I don't smoke the other items will take a back seat to motorcycling right now.

Make sure your coach battery disconnect switch is on! This drove me NUTS till I figured out that the Cig lighter was powered by the coach vice the engine battery. This problem will persist even wiith the coach running till the switch is turned on at the entry.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Bjsrv,
Thank you for your post and sharing your findings. I looked for a fuse panel on my 2011 Itasca Impulse where you said, but didn't find one. I do have a fuse panel to the left of the brake pedal, but it is not easy to get to and there is a wire crossing the front cover, so it looks like it will be difficult to open. I'll see what I can do at a later date.
Hiker Rob
Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Just courious. Was the conclusion that this switch provides engine heat to the water heater? I just purchased a 2013 Winnebago Access Premier and I have this switch with a "high" and "low" switch position. The owners manual does not reference what this switch controls.
Kklein11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kklein11 View Post
Just courious. Was the conclusion that this switch provides engine heat to the water heater? I just purchased a 2013 Winnebago Access Premier and I have this switch with a "high" and "low" switch position. The owners manual does not reference what this switch controls.
i have a ''coach heater'' hi-off-low switch on my dash. the switch turns on a blower that blows engine heat from a coolant heat exchanger into the floor heating ducts. this system has well known problems with the blower migrating on the motor shaft and hitting on the housing. this makes a grinding noise. the blower is a pita to reach. there is a lot of info in the archives of this forum about this problem.
this system uses the same fuse as my backup camera display.
since the fuse kept blowing, i removed the hot wire from the switch.
since i get enough heat from my dash heater and/or my propane furnace while under way, i plan to use this switch for fog/driving lights.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

What's this switch for

The switch is to turn on the fan for the mid coach blower. Heat provided by radiator from engine that is routed through water heater and small radiator in a storage bay. It is quite convenient when traveling in cold weather.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Dash HTR Switch

Kklein11,
Bjsrv and Dan L sum it up nicely. I was told that the switch turns on a blower for warm, engine-heated air to come out of the heating ducts, at least the ones in the center of the coach. Since I live in Florida and travel north only in summer, I'm never traveling in cold-enough weather to use, or even try, it. So I've conveniently forgotten all about this.
Hiker Rob
Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

What exactly do you mean by "the drivers side step well cover"? I am trying to find the fuses you referenced since my unit is not operable at the rear fan via the dash RR switch.

Thanks George
GHPOULSEN is offline   Reply With Quote