Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9
Recharging house batteries get rotten egg smell

Batteries 4.5 years old (Interstate deep cycle) getting smell when my converter was charging. Thought the batteries was issue so brought new five days ago now getting smell again when converter charges them.
How can one tell if converter is overcharging? At least that is the only thing I think could be happening.
Currently near Phoenix but it is about 80 degrees daytime 60 night time so I do not think it is a heat issue. Any suggestions for possible cause and/or remedies would be appreciated.
__________________
Steve
Winnie Sightseer 29R
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
hscole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 24
I would put a volt meter on the batteries and see what they are charging at.
__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
palehorse89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscole View Post
Batteries 4.5 years old (Interstate deep cycle) getting smell when my converter was charging. Thought the batteries was issue so brought new five days ago now getting smell again when converter charges them.
How can one tell if converter is overcharging? At least that is the only thing I think could be happening.
Currently near Phoenix but it is about 80 degrees daytime 60 night time so I do not think it is a heat issue. Any suggestions for possible cause and/or remedies would be appreciated.
A inexpensive multi meter can be bought at any hardware store, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot.......to get a DC voltage reading on the output of the converter.

__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
Polyian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 15
Have you checked the electrolyte, it is possible for lead acid batteries to emit
Hydrogen Sulfide or some other form of malodorous sulfur gas when high charging a cell that has low electrolyte. Add distilled water to cover the plates and it should be OK.
__________________
2013 Newmar BayStar Sport 2901
Toad: 2013 Prius V with EZE-Tow Dolly
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Yellowboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Have you checked the electrolyte, it is possible for lead acid batteries to emit
Hydrogen Sulfide or some other form of malodorous sulfur gas when high charging a cell that has low electrolyte. Add distilled water to cover the plates and it should be OK.
X2. You probably need to add distilled water. Same thing happened to me because of the way I installed my EZ fill hardware. I ended up replacing my batteries because they couldn't hold much of a charge afterwards.

Since you have new batteries and you have checked electrolyte level it may be an over voltage issue. I doubt that you would be getting a smell unless your electrolytes are being cooked off.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
litewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Richmond, MN
Posts: 48
Don't know if your new batteries are sealed or if they have the service ports for adding water, but if they have the service ports check and see if the battery top is wet around the service ports. This would indicate that they are being over charged. You will want to check your water level if this is the case. Use distilled water only.
__________________
Paul and Andrea Baker and the fuzzy kids, Riena and Chica.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 151
FWIW it could be normal. It partly depends on how sensitive you are. Lead acid batteries do emit a bit of hydrogen sulfide during normal charging. This would be especially true if the charge level was low to start. I'd keep an eye on water usage or consider adding mineral oil. If the water usage is low then you are not boiling the batteries but you may have a really good sniffer. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries, smell


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Chicken or the Egg - Leveling and Slides Protocol ezdavie General Maintenance and Repair 23 12-31-2016 06:50 AM
Recharging roof AC cbdeajr General Maintenance and Repair 6 04-26-2016 08:53 PM
Rotten Egg Smell wcchuck Winnebago General Discussions 23 10-09-2006 05:15 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×