Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Question about Winegard Trav'ler system.

2002 Winnebago Journey.

Rig came with the Trav'ler automatic satellite seeking system.

I'm in a forest now for the first time since I bought the rig and the Trav'ler seems to seek continuously. It just keeps running. Longest I've let it run is 45 minutes, and that's because I was busy and forgot about it.

Naturally, I know that it just can't find any satellites but I'm wondering if there's any built in 'Give Up' command? Does it ever stop, or does it keep seeking until it dies from component failure? That would not be a good design or a good piece of software at all.

Anyone know if it ever stops seeking? The book was no help.

Thanks.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It will continue to seek. Obviously the tree's are blocking the signal Hold the power button and it will stop and park.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our Dish Trav'ler will give up but it takes a while.

If we are blocked to the southwest sky, then I configure to look for one eastern sky satellite just to get some of our channels.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My Traveler will give up after awhile. Does try for quite some time though.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
my trav'let gives up after abt 10-15 min.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
My Traveler will give up after awhile. Does try for quite some time though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
my trav'let gives up after abt 10-15 min.
OK, that's good to hear. So if I wander off and forget it again, it'll likely turn off by itself.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the Dish Network version it will stop searching and store the dish in about 20 minutes if the search fails.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just like me, my Trav'ler give up after a short time.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
2002 Winnebago Journey.

Rig came with the Trav'ler automatic satellite seeking system.

I'm in a forest now for the first time since I bought the rig and the Trav'ler seems to seek continuously. It just keeps running. Longest I've let it run is 45 minutes, and that's because I was busy and forgot about it.

Naturally, I know that it just can't find any satellites but I'm wondering if there's any built in 'Give Up' command? Does it ever stop, or does it keep seeking until it dies from component failure? That would not be a good design or a good piece of software at all.

Anyone know if it ever stops seeking? The book was no help.

Thanks.
You could try calling Winegard Help. Leave them a message and if your lucky, they will call you back in a day or two. It took me over six weeks to get my Turret and control box repaired. They have without question, the WORST Customer Service of any company I have ever dealt with. I suppose it's because it's the only game in town and they can treat their customers as they wish.......
Old 06-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
You could try calling Winegard Help. Leave them a message and if your lucky, they will call you back in a day or two. It took me over six weeks to get my Turret and control box repaired. They have without question, the WORST Customer Service of any company I have ever dealt with. I suppose it's because it's the only game in town and they can treat their customers as they wish.......
HAH! Maybe so, but you sure can talk to someone when you're buying something from them!!

But, seriously, in my case, it's just that I don't know how it's suppose to work. Not that there's anything wrong with it. When I've been in the desert, or down in Mexico, it'll only take a couple minutes to seek and find the satellites. This is my first expirience with a 'no satellite found' situation...and no notification on the display. But I probably didn't wait long enough for it to shut down. I get nervous that it's going to wear itself out and break so I shut it off after 10 minutes of so.

Just wondered if it'll shut itself off. Since that one time I wandered off and forgot it.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
HAH! Maybe so, but you sure can talk to someone when you're buying something from them!!

But, seriously, in my case, it's just that I don't know how it's suppose to work. Not that there's anything wrong with it. When I've been in the desert, or down in Mexico, it'll only take a couple minutes to seek and find the satellites. This is my first expirience with a 'no satellite found' situation...and no notification on the display. But I probably didn't wait long enough for it to shut down. I get nervous that it's going to wear itself out and break so I shut it off after 10 minutes of so.

Just wondered if it'll shut itself off. Since that one time I wandered off and forgot it.
When you call the Help? Line, you get two,options. Press one for technical assistance or press 2 to purchase product.
If you go option one, all you can do is leave a message. Return calls are a maybe or not at all.
If you go option two, someone answers within minutes. But when they find out what you want, they give you the "he is on another call so I'll have him call" answer.
Funny thing is, they all work in the same office.
I was so frustrated with them. I've dealt with poor service many times but Winegard takes the top prize in the that regard.
The only person who answered the phone and gave a straight answer was the guy doing the repair in Quebec.

I hope this system outlasts me because the next time it quits, it's gone.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

When I had the dreaded "No LNB Voltage" issue Winegard never called me back. I got more info from this forum.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote