Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New owner 98 Chieftain 33wb. Stereo/electrical help please.

This is my first RV so all this is pretty new to me. Lets start with my first 2 questions.

1st
My chieftain has 4 surround sound speakers mounted but none of them work. I only get tv and stereo sound from a speaker that is mounted under the couch and one that is mounted behind a return vent below the fridge. Any ideas as to what I need to check here? I have no clue as to what/where these are supposed to be wired to. Is there an amp somewhere, or is there supposed to be a home theater receiver to power them or what? I am clueless...

2nd
I have an inverter mounted up front in the passengers side overhead. It doesn't work. What is a suitable replacement? It is currently an Airpax Dimensions ADI-12/140tl and it has a GFI on the front of it. Let me know if you need more info on this.
bigo181979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

If the speakers are original, they would be on the Winnebago wiring diagram for your RV. Check at the Winnebago website and you can download wiring, plumbing, owner's manual for your Chieftain. They may be wired through the dash radio for an amplifier, but that's just a guess.

On the Inverter, check that it's connected to 12 v. power source. If it is and still doesn't work, check the GFI. If you want to replace it, Assess what you want to power with it and shop for an inverter with wattage to cover your needs. In an overhead compartment near TV it probably is for TV, DVD, VCR, game power when no shore power around. Be sure your new inverter shuts itself down before running down batteries too much.

TV in view of the driver by law must not be powered when underway. If the inverter was added to power TV on the road, be aware it could be a ticket if caught.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
:welcome:

If the speakers are original, they would be on the Winnebago wiring diagram for your RV. Check at the Winnebago website and you can download wiring, plumbing, owner's manual for your Chieftain. They may be wired through the dash radio for an amplifier, but that's just a guess.

On the Inverter, check that it's connected to 12 v. power source. If it is and still doesn't work, check the GFI. If you want to replace it, Assess what you want to power with it and shop for an inverter with wattage to cover your needs. In an overhead compartment near TV it probably is for TV, DVD, VCR, game power when no shore power around. Be sure your new inverter shuts itself down before running down batteries too much.

TV in view of the driver by law must not be powered when underway. If the inverter was added to power TV on the road, be aware it could be a ticket if caught.
I do know that it is factory, its part of the premium sound package and is wired into factory plugs. I will check the winnabego sight and see what I can find.
As for the inverter yeah I had it tested and its done, I would be running a TV DVD and possibly a 5.1 surround home stereo system with it. As for the tv location it is mounted far enough back that it would not be in view of the driver.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Howdy I got an inexpensive Radio Shack 250 watt inverter to run my TV. But I am sure some of these guys can tell you where to find an inverter that is more expensive.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check the back of the speakers to make sure that they are connected. If they are connected, find another small speaker to hook to the wires to see if there is a signal coming through the wires. If not, I would check the connections on the amplifier. Mine is located near the floor under the dash on the passenger side of the dashboard. My inverter also doesn't work. When I tried to turn it on I lost electrical power to the tv. I guess that mine is toast.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ok so what I found was on page 19 of this diagram it shows there is an amp http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1998/125854.pdf now I just have to figure out where that is. I am guessing its up under on the passenger side of the dash. From what I am reading the 2 speakers I have sound from are what they are calling "subs" they are both 6x9's, not exactly a sub imo, but anyway. I wonder why I am only getting sound from the "subs" then.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My other thought is that someone has probably put a different head unit in it. It has a blaupunkt unit, so there is the possibility that the wired it incorrectly too... I guess I have some diag work to do...
Old 06-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Oh and not that it matters but its a 1998 chieftain 34wy not a 33
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
sub woofer

the subwoofer is driven off the radio speaker outputs.
the wiring diagram is found on drawing 130344 kl36l pusher chassis wiring.

the speakers in the corners were driven of a stereo amp found on the passenger side under the dash. inputs and outputs were wired accross the dash and connect to jones plugs behind the radio.

I ripped out all that garbage and install my own stereo "real surround" with powered subwoofer. had to rip out the tilt drawer and cut open the fire wall. then made my own aluminum box to make a home for the new stereo reciever complete with HDMI and optic cable to the top where we put in a new LED TV. The inverter works great. powered by either the battery or shore power.

most of all those speaker wire are purple and run through the cabinets. The winnebago subwoofers were a real joke. I left them there.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
the subwoofer is driven off the radio speaker outputs.
the wiring diagram is found on drawing 130344 kl36l pusher chassis wiring.

the speakers in the corners were driven of a stereo amp found on the passenger side under the dash. inputs and outputs were wired accross the dash and connect to jones plugs behind the radio.

I ripped out all that garbage and install my own stereo "real surround" with powered subwoofer. had to rip out the tilt drawer and cut open the fire wall. then made my own aluminum box to make a home for the new stereo reciever complete with HDMI and optic cable to the top where we put in a new LED TV. The inverter works great. powered by either the battery or shore power.

most of all those speaker wire are purple and run through the cabinets. The winnebago subwoofers were a real joke. I left them there.
Do you have a link to that diagram? I googled it but got no luck. By real surround do you mean like a home theater receiver and sound system? Or did you use a car audio setup with a 5.1 processor? And yeah the 6x9's are laughable!

My thoughts are to put in a surround sound system to run with the tv/bluray and a seperate audio system for just music.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well did some work last night. Got power to the amp but no sound to the speakers, tested all the speakers, they all work. Although they sound like crap lol.

So with a bad amp and crappy speakers it looks like I am going to wire up 2 systems. I will have a dedicated car audio system and a dedicated home theater system when I am done.

Tags
electrical