Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie DIY Solar Install

I've been researching solar install for a whole and finally last trip I completed my initial setup, so I thought I'd share.

Parts:

The goal:

I wanted to stat simple, with one panel, to evaluate durability, ease to remove, size, efficiency etc. I did not want to drill the roof. The primary need for the system was to top off the battery during the day when we are dry-camping, so I don't have to turn on/off the generator just to charge the battery.

Process:

After basic layout and measure, I washed a section of the rubber roof well and let it dry. I used strips of the rubber tape to establish adhering base between the panel and the roof. I then used the mounting tape between the rubber tape and the solar panels. I used some more rubber tape to strengthen the front edge, concerned that wind might affect it most. Finally I covered all edges with the white UV resistant duct tape.

I soldered my own cables to the battery with the MC4 connectors and the 12AWG silicone wire and mounted those with the sticky mounts down the front of the trailer towards the battery.

I installed the SAE connectors to the battery and to the charge controller. On the battery side, I used the 60A circuit breaker and the copper lugs.

First plugged the battery side to the charge controller, once it booted up and all looked normal, I connected the solar panels. SEA connectors are easy to work with, hard to flip polarity and weather-proof. On a sunny (SoCal) day I easily get 3 to 4 amps of charing most of the day. Cloudy I still get 1+ amps. Which keeps the battery topped off during daily use (water pump, lights, fans, even sound and USB charging)

For now, I unpack/plug the charge controller when we get to the site and put it back in when we leave. Again the SEA connectors are great. I have a spare AMG battery we use for charging drones and other mobile tasks that also has SAE, super nice to just plug the solar charger to it when we get back to camp.

The final result:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-16 09.00.49.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	171191

Name:	2019-02-16 09.09.17.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	171192

Name:	2019-02-16 10.11.34.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	171193

Name:	2019-02-16 10.11.45.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	171194

Future plans:

I'll give the panel a few months to make sure it holds. I want to check if the rubber tape/mounting is easy to remove without damaging the roof. If all is well:
  • Enclosed box for the charge controller
  • More panels. I can easily fit 4, might even go for 6. Two pairs - parallel and serial
  • MPPT charge controller for the extra efficiency
  • Bigger trailer battery - deep cycle AGM, 120MAH+
  • Pure sine inverter, hoping for 1200W/2400W(peak) to keep basic AC stuff running like TV, coffee grinder, etc.

Let me know what you all think, feedback in any form is appreciated.
jaisor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, solar