Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey with a 330 cat engine. I need 2 new engine starter batteries.
I want the no-maintainence batteries. Can anyone tell me exactly what to buy and can they usually be purchased from Sam's Wholesale? I really don't want to purchase them from the local Winne Dealer as he charges 3 prices for everything he sells.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey with a 330 cat engine. I need 2 new engine starter batteries.
I want the no-maintainence batteries. Can anyone tell me exactly what to buy and can they usually be purchased from Sam's Wholesale? I really don't want to purchase them from the local Winne Dealer as he charges 3 prices for everything he sells.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You need a pair of Group 31 batteries. The batteries Sam's normally carry are made by Johnson Controls but I do not know if they carry a no-maintenance type. Check NAPA or one of your local auto/truck/farm supply parts places. If they don't have them in stock, they surely can get them fairly quickly.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It's difficult to give a single answer, since there are multiple manufacturers of good batteries and often they are sold under numerous different brand names as well.

And "maintenance free" comes in a couple flavors too. Any sealed battery is maintenance free, but some are better (and more expensive) than others. AGM & Gel zero-maintenance batteries are top quality and expensive, while sealed lead acid batteries are about the same price as the unsealed variety. The downside is that they may not last quite as long as their maintenance-required brethren. Personally I do not choose AGM or Gel for starting batteries - I get the regular type and just plan on replacing them every 3 years.

Do you know what size battery you need? Check the size (e.g. Group 27 or Group 31) and CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating on your current batteries, then ask for that same size and rating.

I like batteries from Harris and Trojan. Most Interstates are OK (they come from different manufacturers, depending on size 7 type).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

There is nothing wrong with using gel cell or AGM batterys. Gel cells will require the voltage regulator on your alternator to be adjusted to suit their voltage needs. AGMs won't require any adjustment & have the rapid amperage draw characteristics of a wet cell most likely making the AGM a better choice.

AGMs cost much more than wet cells however the added lifespan & no maintenance offsets the price.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

My original chassis batteries were sealed but my replacements were "wet". In inquired with the manufacturer and they said there was not real difference between their sealed and wet batteries. The wet batteries should not need water and that has proved to be the case. This might not be true with all wet batteries.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine (two group 31's) are now 5 years old and have not had to replace them yet. Just replaced the three house batteries with wet ones from Wal-Mart.

When I have to replace the chassis batteries that are stock dry 31's I'll probably go with the wet 31's from Wal-Mart also. They cost about a 1/3 of what the dry sealed ones I've priced.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
I'm also in favor of wet cells for DP starting batteries. AGM and gel batteries are nice, but quite expensive and they require modifying the charging characteristics. Your current charge may or may not be capable of properly charging AGM or gel batteries. Since MH batteries are installed in what is essentially an exterior location some of the advantages of AGM & gel batteries are lost.

I'd go with a good set of Group 31 batteries from Costco, Sears, Trojan or Interstate.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

FWIW, I replaced my DP cranking batteries with two 950 CCA wet cell batteries from Sam's last year and they are doing just fine. They are the 'maintenance free' type....Energizers.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My $.02 here...

If you go Interstate for Group 31, pay a little more and get the HD version. It has heavier plates and a little better construction. I have used these before in MH and diesel tractors and they are very good.

For a little more $$, go to a CAT store/dealer and get the same Group 31 but in the CAT brand. They have their plates mounted differently and are designed for HD use and are more vibration resistant than most others.

Sears also sells AGM batteries at a reasonable price now. They are in their "Platinum" line and seem to be well designed.

Again, just my $.02...
Old 11-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I would highly recommend AGAINST maintenance free starting batteries (wet cell). I had two sealed wet cell starting batteries when my coach was new. Unfortunately the big down side with sealed wet cell batteries is that you can not check them. Ever. So while out on a month long vacation, one of my wet cell sealed batteries EXPLODED one night when the electrolite got very low and and a significant amount of volitle fumes took its place.

I would strongly recommend deep cycle 12 or 6 volt batteries for starting purposes. They will have the amps when you need them, and if you are ever in a situation where extended cranking is required, they are perfectly suited for the challenge. And don't use sealed batteries. It only takes a few minutes one a month to check them, and most of the time you will not need to do anything to them, other than dust them off.

AGM's are a different subject and require a whole different charging and maintenence routine. That is for you to decide.

My .02 ........

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote